GlaxoSmithKline

www.gsk.com
  www.gsk.com

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Government Interview

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at GlaxoSmithKline in October 2010.

I applied through the standard application process. One month later, I was contacted for a phone interview which I believed to have gone very well. The questions were mainly background related, yet very relevant for the position for which I had applied. There are two things that happened during the actual interview, however, which became the deciding factor for my grading my experience as a negative one. During the start of the interview, and unrelated to anything in particular, the hiring manager stated that he worked directly for the company, and not for an outsourcing agency. In addition, he mentioned that he had worked for GSK for a number of years (as a candidate, I failed to find how any of this was at all relevant to the hiring process). After making this statement, he proceeded to ask me relevant questions about my employment history, reasons for wanting to work at GSK, and my plans for the future. This portion of the phone interview took roughly 2/3 of the entire 20 minute phone interview. At closing, the hiring manager assured me (for a total of 3 times) that I would receive a response from him on a specific date the following week - all due to the hiring manager's schedule and the painstakingly long hiring process with reaching out to the director in charge of filling this position for his/her department. Other than the fact that this was repeated to me 3 times, I felt that the waiting period was completely normal, and nothing more to think about. Well, two days prior to the specific date mentioned, I received an automated rejection e-mail stating that after careful consideration, GSK was no longer reviewing my application. While I found the prompt response helpful, I couldn't help but feel as though the hiring manager was feeding me a lot of useless filler during the interview a week before. Due to the unexpected and impersonal nature of the response, I was left wondering whether they even recalled having a phone interview with me the week before.

Interview Questions
  • Why do you want to work for GSK and how did you hear about us?   Answer Question