GlaxoSmithKline

135 candidate interviews

Pharmaceuticals Sales Representative Interview

Pharmaceuticals Sales Representative
Knoxville, TN

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at GlaxoSmithKline in June 2009.

Interview Details – I first saw the manager at a recruitment event in Knoxville. If I wasn't young looking for my age (34 at the time) and attractive, I bet I would not have been offered the next step. First, there was a phone interview. Next, the company had a face-to-face interview with three different managers. There was a call back and an interview scheduled for the next week, again. After passing that test, the company had another face-to-face interview with the local managers. They told me to find out as much as I could about Advair, their current promotion. I researched and memorized as much as I possibly could. I knew details by memory that some of their seasoned reps probably didn't know about the drug. Each interview seemed to hinge on the same question-"Why do you think you can do this job if you've never been in sales." I didn't have sales experience or a business degree and this seemed to bother the district manager even though I possessed two graduate degrees and better grades than him ( He revealed this in the interview process.) in science courses in college. After the second-to-last interview, he said he would have liked to see a business plan. (He didn't mention wanting one for the interview.) I told him that I could get him one and drove back into Knoxville with one in an hour. After completion of this task, I was offered a ride-along, the coveted last step in the interview process. My ride-along partner pretty much assumed that my job offer was in the bag. The GlaxoSmithKline rep and I were in the middle of the day when we were told to meet the rest of the team for lunch ( a surprise) at a downtown restaurant. All the reps did was to talk badly about the manger and about what a jerk he was to work for. After the rest of the afternoon calling on doctor's offices and pharmacists, the rep was called and the manager asked if I could drop by to interview again. Another surprise awaiting me was the appearance of the regional manager who was sneering at me as I walked through the door. He was very negative as he looked at my resume and asked me questions. I had the feeling his mind was made up against me as I walked through the door, but I remained confident. The district manager asked me about the lunch and what we talked about. I did not mention his employee's comments, but maybe I should have. Maybe this was another of the company's interview tactics. One word of advice to GlaxoSmithKline candidates: the Knoxville group is full of local "celebrities" including an ex-weatherman and a former U.T. cheerleader, and they seem to take pride in that. Another successful candidate was an ex-Yellowbook rep who seemed a little too provacative in her dress. Business black suits must go after you're hired, I guess.

Interview Question – Every team has a group of people designed to meet different needs. Would you saw you are a leader, a cheerleader, a data cruncher or a follower when it comes to one of the roles needed on my team?   Answer Question

Graduate Interview

Graduate
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at GlaxoSmithKline in March 2012.

Interview Details – Starts with an online application form, prett standard stuff, then if you get through that stage you are asked to complete 2 aptitude tests. Passing these will result in a telephone competency interview.

Finally if you get through that you are invited to a 2 dat assessment centre. This by far the most grueling assessment centre I have been to and was completely knackered by the end of it. Every one was really nice and helpful and they really go the extra mile to woo you.

Interview Question – Give an example of a time when you worked as part of a team to find a number of options to resolve a problem and how you decided which option to take.   Answer Question

Medical Sales Representative Interview

Medical Sales Representative
Cairo (Egypt)

I applied in-person and the process took 3 months - interviewed at GlaxoSmithKline in June 2013.

Interview Details – DM ten IQ & english test then HR interview with third party HR organization then HR from GSK then Panel interview with some training and sales managers in which you have to make a presentation analyzing and giving a solutions for a case that may face you in the market if GSK hired you after that the final interview with the HR director and the sales Director .

Interview Question – business case you have to analyse it and give solutions .   Answer Question

Marketing Director Interview

Marketing Director
Philadelphia, PA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 7 weeks - interviewed at GlaxoSmithKline.

Interview Details – GSK found me through a recruiter. Went through one 60-minute interview with HR Recruiter, mostly general questions to determine fit. Then 2 phone screens with hiring manager followed by a half day one-on-ones with 3 different VP level decision makers.

Interview Question – Tell about a time when you struggled with an assignment because it felt in conflict with your ethics and integrity. How did you handle it?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very straight forward. GSK does a great job laying out the benefits of joining in an easy to understand fashion.

Finance Future Leaders Program Interview

Finance Future Leaders Program
Singapore (Singapore)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at GlaxoSmithKline.

Interview Details – 1. Online application - normal application process + required to write some 3000words essays about some behavioral questions. It took very long to move to the second stage. For me around 1-2months.

2. Video interview - given 30sec - 1min to read the question, then 2-3mins to answer. Question mainly about past experiences (e.g. tell me a time when...) and also reason why you choose this program.
The selection is quite strict. Only 5-10 ppl will be chosen for final stage

3. Assessment centre: there was a briefing done the day before actual AC and a case study will be given to you. AC will all be related to the case and consist of 5 exercises:
- Interview: around 30mins behavioral interview. Mainly about taking initiative, leading, creative ideas etc (see GSK value)
- Role play: you are a manager and one of your brightest trainee in future leaders program just sent you her resignation letter. Talk to her and find out why. Should you keep her or let her go. why. (if you decided to keep you should also convince her to stay)
- Action plan: you will be given one page case for you to present. come out with action plan (on whiteboard) as a tool to help you during the presentation.
- Presentation: present the action plan you have prepared.
- Group exercise: during the presentation, different ppl will present different idea and this is when all of you should come together and decide which one to prioritise based on the budget set.

Interview Question – AC is from 8am-5pm, which is quite draining towards the end. There were also little time to prepare the action plan   Answer Question

Operational Excellence Leader Interview

Operational Excellence Leader
Memphis, TN

I applied online and interviewed at GlaxoSmithKline.

Interview Details – They had a very tedious but good interview process. They had me answer a series of questions as a screening for my phone interview. I wound up typing 4 pages single spaced to answer all of the technical questions that they asked. I am not sure if that was overkill but I got an offer so I assume that was good. During the in-person interview, I took a tour of the plant and then had to put together a presentation on the improvement opportunities that I had identified. Again, I am very thorough so I spent an hour on the presentation while eating lunch and then presented my findings to the panel interview team.

I really liked the panel interview. They have 5 folks that participated were very experienced in their areas and they asked pertinent questions. They chose to include some of the pointless behavioral questions, probably because the HR person in the room required it.

I would have loved to work at GSK but unfortunately the pay was less than I was already making and a higher level position was not available at the time.

Interview Question – The had me tour their production facility and then create a Powerpoint presentation on all of the improvement opportunities that I identified.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – This position would be a lateral move for me and the pay offered was far less than I was already making in my current position.

Finance Manager Interview

Finance Manager
Parsippany, NJ

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at GlaxoSmithKline in January 2014.

Interview Details – Interviewed in Parsippany for four hours, met with some descent people. Contacted them two weeks after the interview for a status update, never a response back. Contacted once again, again no response. I feel it was inconsiderate of such a large company, I'd think twice before applying to GSK again.

Interview Question – Questions around Brand Finance, something I had limited background in.   Answer Question

AREA SALES MANAGER Interview

AREA SALES MANAGER
Calcutta (India)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at GlaxoSmithKline in March 2011.

Interview Details – One round Campus Interview - taken by VP marketing and GM-HR

Interview Question – Why do I wish to join pharma sector   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation phasse

Management Trainee Interview

Management Trainee
Lagos (Nigeria)

Interview Details – An apptitude test followed by a screening stage that involved delivering a presentation on a specific topic. Then an assessment centre and meeting with the leadership team.

Interview Question – You could be asked to give a presentation on anything e.g music.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Fixed salary. No negotiation.

Future Leaders Program Interview

Future Leaders Program
Philadelphia, PA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at GlaxoSmithKline in October 2012.

Interview Details – Met with a representative at the Engineering Career Fair on campus. After a brief conversation, I was asked if I would like to come back for an interview the following day. I happily obliged and set a time. The interviewer began by asking predetermined technical questions from a sheet. Most regarded biopharm manufacturing, and some were vague enough that I needed to ask for clarification. Unfortunately, the interviewer didn't have a scientific background so I had to make a lot of assumptions about what was being asked and guess at answers.

Interview Question – Without any details on the process, I was asked which of many properties impact downstream purification processes. I asked for clarification on the process, but the interviewer couldn't provide any more information so I had to guess.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at GlaxoSmithKline

Worked for GlaxoSmithKline? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at GlaxoSmithKline interview questions and advice. All 135 interview reviews posted anonymously by GlaxoSmithKline employees and interview candidates.