GlaxoSmithKline

Updated Nov 20, 2014
Updated Nov 20, 2014

3.1

Engineering Leadership Development Program Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at GlaxoSmithKline.

The first-round interview was held at my college campus, and was a short 30 minute discussion that included my resume, a behavioral question, and a technical question focusing on how pumps work.

After three months, a recruiter from GSK emailed me to inform me that I had been selected for the final round. My interview was at the Oak Hill, NY site with the director of the department I was going to be working in and with someone from HR. The interview (5 questions and approx. 1.5 hrs) delved further into my background, competencies, and concluded with a tour of the facility.

I got the good news the day after!

Interview Questions
    • What is the most important parameter to think about when purchasing/using a pump to draw out water.   View Answer
    Didn't negotiate. I really had nothing to leverage!

Senior Scientist Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at GlaxoSmithKline in March 2013.

Apparently there is something going on within GSK. The interview process is very disorganized and disrespectful. It took almost 2 months to set up the initial phone screen involving 3 different HR people and 3 scientists. After finally nailed down a time and date, I was noticed one week ahead the interview will be cancelled due to time conflict and another HR or someone else will come up with a new schedule. I was OK with that. BUT, two days prior to the original scheduled date, I received a call and asked me if I have 45 minutes for interview. I was totally unprepared and shocked! The interview went horrible, of course, not only because of the unprepared part but also there was absolutely no conversion between me and the interviewer. It was obvious the interviewer did not read my resume and knew the area I was and was not interested in. She asked very broad and detailed technique question, which I put it away for a long time.

Pharmaceuticals Sales Representative Interview

Interview with DM went great. also had a good second interview. Too bad there is a hiring freeze.

Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at GlaxoSmithKline in February 2013.

I went through the application through the university career center and also their main website. After 2 weeks or so, I was contacted by the employers and was interviewed via phone. They are generally friendly, and ask questions that will possibly boost your confidence. It was not a tense interview, and the employers are only interested to know your level of enthusiasm.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you expect to get from this position?   View Answer

Senior Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Research Triangle Park, NC

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at GlaxoSmithKline.

I was originally a contract hire, so communications were conducted via a staffing firm. At the time I lived out of state, so my initial interview was over the phone. I was then asked to come for an in-person interview, during which I interviewed with my supervisors and the head of the department. I was offered the job for an 18-month contract, at the end of which I was fortunate to be offered a permanent position at the company.

Network Operations Co-op Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at GlaxoSmithKline in January 2013.

I had two interviews for the position and they were questions regarding my future goals and how much I will be learning from this experience.

Interview Questions
    • I was not asked a difficult technical question regarding the position.   Answer Question
    I was able to work in the RTP office instead of the Navy yard location in Philadelphia.

Principal Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in King of Prussia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in King of Prussia, PA

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at GlaxoSmithKline in October 2012.

The Hiring manager contacted my graduate advisor asking if he had any students finishing soon, I sent My CV and a cover letter. I was then contacted to schedule an on-site interview.

They paid for a plane trip and had a very nice car waiting at the airport. When I arrived for the interview I was told by the hiring manager that they were considering bringing Analytical Ultracentrifugation (AUC) on site (they were contracting the work out at the time). My graduate work had focused on AUC, but the position I had applied for said nothing about AUC.

The interview consisted of a series of 30 minute 1 on 1 interviews from 9 am to 3 pm. They provided lunch at the cafeteria where I ate with peers of the group I would be working in, who asked more questions. About half of the questions were general HR type stuff "how have you dealt with conflict" "what are your weaknesses." The other half was about AUC specifically.

As more and more questions were asked about AUC it became apparent to me that some of the group was in favor of moving AUC on-site and some were not, and I was in the position of defending AUC to the members who were not, which is not the interview I had prepared for. It was disappointing to be asked to justify something that was not in the job description of the position I was applying for.

On the plus side they didn't ask any quiz like questions testing your knowledge, they all just assumed I had the theoretical knowledge to do the job.

Overall a mixed experience. However the mechanics of booking flights and hotel rooms was handled well.

Interview Questions
    • What can Analytical Ultracentrifugation do for me that Size Exclusion Chromatography coupled to Multi-Angle Light Scattering cannot?   Answer Question

Future Leaders Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at GlaxoSmithKline in October 2012.

Met with a representative at the Engineering Career Fair on campus. After a brief conversation, I was asked if I would like to come back for an interview the following day. I happily obliged and set a time. The interviewer began by asking predetermined technical questions from a sheet. Most regarded biopharm manufacturing, and some were vague enough that I needed to ask for clarification. Unfortunately, the interviewer didn't have a scientific background so I had to make a lot of assumptions about what was being asked and guess at answers.

Interview Questions
    • Without any details on the process, I was asked which of many properties impact downstream purification processes. I asked for clarification on the process, but the interviewer couldn't provide any more information so I had to guess.   Answer Question

Technical Project Manager - IT (Research Triangle Park, NC USA) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Research Triangle Park, NC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at GlaxoSmithKline in July 2012.

Phone interview followed by in person inyterview.

I was asked about my previous TPM roles and the hiring manager told me at the end of the interview that he would like to bring me in for a person-2-person interview based on my experience.

I quote what he said “What I am seeing is candidates that are purely PM focused that lack the understanding of technical project delivery or candidates have delivery experience but may not be hands on enough to produce deliverables"

person-2-person interview was was not an interview but more about what i will be doing in the first month.

Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Research Triangle Park, NC

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at GlaxoSmithKline in May 2012.

They e-mailed me to schedule a phone interview. They called and we spoke for about 25 minutes about my experience and such. Then they called me back about a week later to schedule an interview for in-person. This was mostly a chance to meet formally and to see the place.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me what my favorite thing about science research is, which was tough at first but actually turns out to be a pretty nice question. Nothing too surprising though.   Answer Question