GlaxoSmithKline

3.1

Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at GlaxoSmithKline in February 2013.

I went through the application through the university career center and also their main website. After 2 weeks or so, I was contacted by the employers and was interviewed via phone. They are generally friendly, and ask questions that will possibly boost your confidence. It was not a tense interview, and the employers are only interested to know your level of enthusiasm.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you expect to get from this position?   View Answer

Senior Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Research Triangle Park, NC

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at GlaxoSmithKline.

I was originally a contract hire, so communications were conducted via a staffing firm. At the time I lived out of state, so my initial interview was over the phone. I was then asked to come for an in-person interview, during which I interviewed with my supervisors and the head of the department. I was offered the job for an 18-month contract, at the end of which I was fortunate to be offered a permanent position at the company.

Network Operations Co-op Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at GlaxoSmithKline in January 2013.

I had two interviews for the position and they were questions regarding my future goals and how much I will be learning from this experience.

Interview Questions
    • I was not asked a difficult technical question regarding the position.   Answer Question
    I was able to work in the RTP office instead of the Navy yard location in Philadelphia.

Principal Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in King of Prussia, PA
    Anonymous Employee in King of Prussia, PA

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at GlaxoSmithKline in October 2012.

The Hiring manager contacted my graduate advisor asking if he had any students finishing soon, I sent My CV and a cover letter. I was then contacted to schedule an on-site interview.

They paid for a plane trip and had a very nice car waiting at the airport. When I arrived for the interview I was told by the hiring manager that they were considering bringing Analytical Ultracentrifugation (AUC) on site (they were contracting the work out at the time). My graduate work had focused on AUC, but the position I had applied for said nothing about AUC.

The interview consisted of a series of 30 minute 1 on 1 interviews from 9 am to 3 pm. They provided lunch at the cafeteria where I ate with peers of the group I would be working in, who asked more questions. About half of the questions were general HR type stuff "how have you dealt with conflict" "what are your weaknesses." The other half was about AUC specifically.

As more and more questions were asked about AUC it became apparent to me that some of the group was in favor of moving AUC on-site and some were not, and I was in the position of defending AUC to the members who were not, which is not the interview I had prepared for. It was disappointing to be asked to justify something that was not in the job description of the position I was applying for.

On the plus side they didn't ask any quiz like questions testing your knowledge, they all just assumed I had the theoretical knowledge to do the job.

Overall a mixed experience. However the mechanics of booking flights and hotel rooms was handled well.

Interview Questions
    • What can Analytical Ultracentrifugation do for me that Size Exclusion Chromatography coupled to Multi-Angle Light Scattering cannot?   Answer Question

Future Leaders Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at GlaxoSmithKline in October 2012.

Met with a representative at the Engineering Career Fair on campus. After a brief conversation, I was asked if I would like to come back for an interview the following day. I happily obliged and set a time. The interviewer began by asking predetermined technical questions from a sheet. Most regarded biopharm manufacturing, and some were vague enough that I needed to ask for clarification. Unfortunately, the interviewer didn't have a scientific background so I had to make a lot of assumptions about what was being asked and guess at answers.

Interview Questions
    • Without any details on the process, I was asked which of many properties impact downstream purification processes. I asked for clarification on the process, but the interviewer couldn't provide any more information so I had to guess.   Answer Question

Technical Project Manager - IT (Research Triangle Park, NC USA) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Research Triangle Park, NC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at GlaxoSmithKline in July 2012.

Phone interview followed by in person inyterview.

I was asked about my previous TPM roles and the hiring manager told me at the end of the interview that he would like to bring me in for a person-2-person interview based on my experience.

I quote what he said “What I am seeing is candidates that are purely PM focused that lack the understanding of technical project delivery or candidates have delivery experience but may not be hands on enough to produce deliverables"

person-2-person interview was was not an interview but more about what i will be doing in the first month.

Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Research Triangle Park, NC

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at GlaxoSmithKline in May 2012.

They e-mailed me to schedule a phone interview. They called and we spoke for about 25 minutes about my experience and such. Then they called me back about a week later to schedule an interview for in-person. This was mostly a chance to meet formally and to see the place.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me what my favorite thing about science research is, which was tough at first but actually turns out to be a pretty nice question. Nothing too surprising though.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at GlaxoSmithKline in March 2012.

Phone and in person. Focus was on chemistry with the manager and less on how the manager was viewed within the company. Would be good to speak to others who know the manager before deciding to join.

Interview Questions
    nonsalary items were nonnegotiable.

SAP Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC
    Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at GlaxoSmithKline in January 2012.

I recently interviewed with GSK for an SAP position in RTP. Everything that I experienced leading up to the interview was positive. The actual technical phone interview itself left a lot to be desired. First, the interviewer was late, which wasn't so bad. However, the questions he asked were more for knowledge testing ("what is") rather than to determine skill level ("how"). Further, the interviewer was expecting answers that were very close, if not verbatim to SAP's definitions. In my humble opinion, this type of interview strategy is inappropriate when you are looking to hire mid to senior level people. To make matters worse, the interviewer had a propensity to cut me off while I was still speaking. When I asked about the job responsibilities, his smug response gave me an impression that the work would be toxic and inflexible toward employees. I had previously researched GSK on this site and saw that the reviews weren't all good. This reminded me of another Fortune 500 client I worked for that I'm glad to be out of. I don't want to be going through another revolving door so I will not be continuing with their hiring process. An unsolicited advice to GSK: have another technical interviewer sit through the calls.

Marketing Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at GlaxoSmithKline in December 2011.

HR Phone screen, Hiring Manager phone screen, 6 person live panel interview with formal series of questions (leadership, change management, etc.). Look up and know the GSK values and high-performance behaviors available on the site.

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me about a time when you had a point of view that was not shared by upper management."   View Answer
    No negotiation room available.