GlaxoSmithKline

Updated Feb 5, 2015

3.1

Human Resources Future Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in King of Prussia, PA

I applied online – interviewed at GlaxoSmithKline in January 2015.

Three Stages

1) Online Application - resume, cover letter, online application
    2) Phone Interview - 45 minute long behavioral interview
    3) Assessment Center - visited company headquarters in King of Prussia, PA and spent the day completing Assessment Center activities (role play, behavioral interview, group work, crisis management, individual presentation)

Interview Questions
    • One of the activities we had to complete was to pick a product (out of three we were given) and give an individual presentation on why we picked that certain product (i.e. its benefits) and why we picked it over the other two products (i.e. the other products' downfalls)   Answer Question

Safety Assessment Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in King of Prussia, PA

I applied online – interviewed at GlaxoSmithKline.

Applied online. After two weeks, I received an email for a phone interview scheduled for the same day in the afternoon. The interview involves going through the job description and the expectation required of intern. Then specific questions were asked regarding my past experience working with animals especially rodents. There questions that try to know whether I am an animal activist and whether I will comfortable working with animals. Expecting to hear back from them

Interview Questions
    • What motivated you to apply to this program/department?   View Answer
    No negotiation. No relocation and transportation subsidies.

Computational Biologist Interview

Anonymous Employee in King of Prussia, PA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at GlaxoSmithKline.

Two phone interviews consisting of behavioral questions and past research projects, and one on site interview consisting of talk with in person interviews all day. Most interviewers were very nice / laid back and seemed like softball questions but then others seemed interested in playing a good cop / bad cop routine.

Interview Questions
    • Questions went the full way from some more algorithmic descriptions to biological questions about study design. The length of the process and diversity of the questions rather than any specific question was a bit tiring for me but it was also the first time in my life I did it.   Answer Question

Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in King of Prussia, PA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at GlaxoSmithKline in April 2014.

One 30-min HR phone screening. One week later received onsite interview invitation. First, a 60-min HR interview full of behavior questions with hiring manager present. Then, a 30-min technical presentation, followed by one-hour panel discussion. Lab tours, lunch. Finally, three 30-min one-to-one interview.

Interview Questions
    • The one-hour interview with HR is full of crap: what's your motivation? How do you handle difficult people? and so on. You can nail these questions by preparing stories for these behavioral questions. Just Google it   View Answer

DPU Heart Failure Coop Interview

Anonymous Employee in King of Prussia, PA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at GlaxoSmithKline in March 2014.

Interviewer was extremely nice and gave complements throughout the interview. The interview was planned and over the phone. I was also politely given the time of the length that the interview was going to be, over email. Overall, I would categorize the interview as informal, but professional.

Interview Questions
    • What type of reagent did you use for mmeasuring the IC50 of the bioassays you performed?   View Answer

Analytical Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in King of Prussia, PA

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at GlaxoSmithKline in February 2014.

Applied online. Interview with HR one month later. Invited to onsite interview two months later. Interview consisted of a meeting with hiring manager followed with me giving a presentation with Q/A session. Questions during entire interview consisted of questions regards to problems they were trying to solve and generic HR questions. Emailed hiring manager two weeks later for update with no response. Horrible communication throughout the entire process. Still have not received reimbursement for interview expenses.

Principal Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in King of Prussia, PA

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at GlaxoSmithKline in October 2012.

The Hiring manager contacted my graduate advisor asking if he had any students finishing soon, I sent My CV and a cover letter. I was then contacted to schedule an on-site interview.

They paid for a plane trip and had a very nice car waiting at the airport. When I arrived for the interview I was told by the hiring manager that they were considering bringing Analytical Ultracentrifugation (AUC) on site (they were contracting the work out at the time). My graduate work had focused on AUC, but the position I had applied for said nothing about AUC.

The interview consisted of a series of 30 minute 1 on 1 interviews from 9 am to 3 pm. They provided lunch at the cafeteria where I ate with peers of the group I would be working in, who asked more questions. About half of the questions were general HR type stuff "how have you dealt with conflict" "what are your weaknesses." The other half was about AUC specifically.

As more and more questions were asked about AUC it became apparent to me that some of the group was in favor of moving AUC on-site and some were not, and I was in the position of defending AUC to the members who were not, which is not the interview I had prepared for. It was disappointing to be asked to justify something that was not in the job description of the position I was applying for.

On the plus side they didn't ask any quiz like questions testing your knowledge, they all just assumed I had the theoretical knowledge to do the job.

Overall a mixed experience. However the mechanics of booking flights and hotel rooms was handled well.

Interview Questions
    • What can Analytical Ultracentrifugation do for me that Size Exclusion Chromatography coupled to Multi-Angle Light Scattering cannot?   Answer Question

Senior Scientific Investigator (Medicinal Chemist) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in King of Prussia, PA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at GlaxoSmithKline in September 2010.

Job opening recommended by a friend. One-day interview which included giving a seminar and interviewing with several individuals throughout the day. Lunch with another group of would-be peers.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to leave your old company?   View Answer
    No negotiation.