GlaxoSmithKline

Relevance Date Difficulty

Principal Scientist Interview

Principal Scientist
King of Prussia, PA

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at GlaxoSmithKline in October 2012.

Interview Details – The Hiring manager contacted my graduate advisor asking if he had any students finishing soon, I sent My CV and a cover letter. I was then contacted to schedule an on-site interview.

They paid for a plane trip and had a very nice car waiting at the airport. When I arrived for the interview I was told by the hiring manager that they were considering bringing Analytical Ultracentrifugation (AUC) on site (they were contracting the work out at the time). My graduate work had focused on AUC, but the position I had applied for said nothing about AUC.

The interview consisted of a series of 30 minute 1 on 1 interviews from 9 am to 3 pm. They provided lunch at the cafeteria where I ate with peers of the group I would be working in, who asked more questions. About half of the questions were general HR type stuff "how have you dealt with conflict" "what are your weaknesses." The other half was about AUC specifically.

As more and more questions were asked about AUC it became apparent to me that some of the group was in favor of moving AUC on-site and some were not, and I was in the position of defending AUC to the members who were not, which is not the interview I had prepared for. It was disappointing to be asked to justify something that was not in the job description of the position I was applying for.

On the plus side they didn't ask any quiz like questions testing your knowledge, they all just assumed I had the theoretical knowledge to do the job.

Overall a mixed experience. However the mechanics of booking flights and hotel rooms was handled well.

Interview Question – What can Analytical Ultracentrifugation do for me that Size Exclusion Chromatography coupled to Multi-Angle Light Scattering cannot?   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response
Interviews for Top Jobs at GlaxoSmithKline

Worked for GlaxoSmithKline? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at GlaxoSmithKline Principal Scientist interview questions and advice. All interview reviews posted anonymously by GlaxoSmithKline employees and interview candidates.