GlobalScholar Interview Questions

Updated Sep 8, 2014
Updated Sep 8, 2014

3.6

Exec Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at GlobalScholar.

Standard process through CEO and three direct reports. Standard Q&A approach, and nothing extraordinary. No HR Exec function at the time, so pretty straight forward all around. Company no longer exists (at least in Seattle), so probably not extremely relevant info...

User Experience Design Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at GlobalScholar.

I contacted by a hr agent, it took them a while to contact me. I think the HR agent was actually a receptionist at the time. The interview was around 5 hours with a test and only one bottle of water.

Solutions Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at GlobalScholar in February 2012.

The first interview was a phone interview. During the interview it became obvious that I misunderstood the job posting. The rest of the interviews were mainly to identify whether there was a potential opening for me. The people I spoke with were very gracious and it was a good experience, but my background was not a good match for them.

Interview Questions
    • Describe the factors you would take into consideration when selecting a product platform .   Answer Question

Lead Interview

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at GlobalScholar.

Two phone screens
    Then on-site interview. Candidates are flown in from other cities.
    4-6 rounds of interviews onsite
    Mostly around problem solving. You will be asked to give the design for a specified problem and write code on paper. Also covers CS fundamentals more around OO programming.
    There is also a round on SQL.
    Generally based on experience and technologies used the rounds can vary.
    You are allowed in write code in a language of choice.

Interview Questions
    • Given a array of integers, find the maximum product possible. Looking for O(n) solution.   Answer Question
    Negotiation is possible within reasonable limits

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at GlobalScholar.

1.Aptitude round
    Around 6 technical rounds
    HR round

Interview Questions
    • Questions were more on data structures and operations on them   Answer Question

QA Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chennai (India)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at GlobalScholar in June 2012.

Initial communications with the company was good, the recruiter was in touch with me constantly and walking me through the process and the number of rounds I need to clear.

Organization and planning of the interview was also good, clear communication with the list of names who are going to interview me for the position and their roles in the organisation was clearly mentioned to me.

Number and type of interviews: I had 3 telephonic discussion and 4 rounds of face to face discussion. Each discussion lasted for an hour.

Round 1: [Telephonic]

SVP from the company called me and we had a char about the current role and my day to R&R with the present company. He also did a little bit of deep dive with some technical questions around model based testing, automation approach etc... Overall the discussion went well.

Round 2: [Telephonic]

Program Manager from the group had a chat with me and was asking my R&R and how to handle complex releases kind of questions.

Round 3: [Telephonic]

This time it was with the Development Director, the call went well and this call was also mostly around, planning, envisioning and handling situations when Issues comes from Production. Ability to work with tight deadlines etc... overall call went well and closed the call with good Note. I Found him extremely knowledgeable and technical.

After three rounds I got into the salary negotiation and I found the discussion did not happen in the proper manner. HR manager was forcing me to quote a number and I found myself extremely in a tough situation. PLease note that this is not a good practice.

Round 4: [Face to Face]

I had a F2F discussion this time with the Senior DEV manager and I found him extremely good and he was to the point, Professional and i liked his overall approach. He was talking to about my hiring experience. My R&R with the present role. My ability to stretch and beyond. How long I spend my day with the work etc... Finally to close a technical question on the self join. I somehow did not get the answer :( But my approach towards the query was correct probably my mind did not go in the right direction during the time.

Round 5: [Face to Face]

My next F2F was with the Sr.Program Manager and I found the Interviewer was not at all prepared what to ask me. The Interviewer started pulling out a thread and started the conversation. He was confused himself with the planning rhythm, Process overlap on planning. Various aspects you need to consider with the program management. His questions was mostly around them, he also asked few outlines from SCRUM. I enjoyed the conversation and I found him OK.

Round 6: [Face to Face]

This time I met a Sr.QA Manager, couple of observations.

1. This guy walked into the room with full of work pressure and delivery deadline ahead of him in next couple of hours.
    2. Started showing his attitude.
    3. Started answering phone calls meantime.
    4. Totally walked into the room unprepared.
    5. I had no clue about his approach towards Interview.
    6. Asked me various types of testing methods and asked me to come up with scenarios on how to test Gmail & Google Talk Integration. [I honestly felt this was a QA Engineer role related question and definitely QA Manager Deserves much better one] answered to the point and I'm done.

By this time, I figured out couple of observations. There is no role clarity among the folks with in the organisation and lot of grey areas. I asked HR manager to talk about the Performance and movements. She politely pointed to me to talk to SVP who will talk to for the final round.

Round 7: [Face to Face]

I met the SVP with whom I had my round 1. He briefed about the company goals ,vision and market presence. I found the discussion was overall exciting. Then I started with the set of questions I had in my mind which I should discuss with him.

1. What will be the role and size of the team i will be handling.
    2. to whom I will end up reporting.
    3. How my commitment is set to begin the year.
    4. How Am I measured at the end of the year.
    5. How the rewards system works.
    6. What is the scope for upwards and lateral movements to the role.

I got satisfactory answers and I endedup closing the discussion in a positive note. I made up my mind here after hearing his response.

Conclusion:

I found that the company is not clearly structured to help their employees with the career path, Performance measurement system, rewards system. Totally US centric and operational delivery alone happens from India.

Coming to Work culture, clearly see a lot of work pressure due to the gaps in process and delivery compliance. But for a typical startup kind of environment this will be exciting space and there is lot of scope to drive change and be a change agent contributing towards the growth of the company.

Interview Questions
    • Explain Model Based Testing   Answer Question
    • How do you resolve when there are lot of unexpected bugs are coming from Production?   Answer Question

SSDE Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chennai (India)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at GlobalScholar in January 2012.

Interviewers do not know anything beyond their bookish knowledge. Interviewers expect only those answers which they know. This could lead to wrong hires. I knew that, finding candidates is a nightmare for this organisation mostly due to location and its not so good reputation. Although the questions are average and even if you answer them correctly you might not get hired simply because interviewers don't know those answers. Its a waste of time to appear for such an interview.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chennai (India)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at GlobalScholar in September 2011.

I had two rounds of phone interview followed by 3 rounds of in person interview.
    In Phone interview they will test your datastructure and algorithm skills. They will give you problems and you have to solve them and code. Finally you have to communicate the code over the phone and they will give u the result immediately.

In the face to face interview again the interview process is same. all they expect from the candidate is to code... code... and code without any hesitation.

Team Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chennai (India)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at GlobalScholar in August 2011.

I got a call from this company saying they are looking for .NET professionals.

They said, It will comprise of 2 technical rounds and 1 Hiring manager round. I took up the first interview which was taken over phone. I was told that i would not be asked any questions in .NET unless i complete their so called "Basic IQ Test". Apparently i was not prepared at that time and didn't do well.

I know the very moment the outcome of my candidature.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chennai (India)

The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at GlobalScholar in May 2011.

Had 2 phone intreviews n 2 face-2-face interviews.
    Interviews involve basic problem solving n DS questions n puzzles. Was asked to write working code for many things.
    Interviewers r quite cooperative, n helpful. Interviewers r also happy to talk abt the role n scope of work we would be doing there.

Interview Questions
    • Puzzle:
      There are 25 horses and 5 lanes for conducting a race among them. In a minimum of how many races, would be able to find out the 3 fastest horses among them? Assumption: Speed of horses are consistent enough across races.
        View Answers (5)
    Not much negotiation is possible actually, but yes, they pay you good if you are coming from a good product-based company like Microsoft/Amazon.
    So, feel free to negotiate.