Gloucester Research Interview Questions

Updated Aug 20, 2014
Updated Aug 20, 2014

3.7

Quantitative Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Gloucester Research.

I send my CV and got an invitation in a week via email. They asked me when I can visit them to take the test. They are very flexible with time, you can arrange the test after a month from invitation, anyway they recommend to make a good preparation. Everyone is very nice. The test is 90 minutes long, the questions are not difficult if you know the stuff, but you really need to know it, otherwise 90 minutes will not be enough. I did not knew anything about one particular question and made a mistake in the other, this led me to not getting to the face to face interview.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Gloucester Research.

Informal interview to guage cultural fit then an interview with the head of the office. The first interview was pleasant, the second was quite pointless and in no way relevant.

Interview Questions
    • a few questions like "what is the square root of 5625?"
      Others like "what is the angle between the two hands of a clock if the time is...?"
        View Answer

Graduate Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Gloucester Research in February 2014.

During the first interview an NDA is signed, so I can't really talk in too much depth about the interview specifics. Intiially a 1-hour test is sat. The questions are very basic computer science questions, and also problem solving ones. Over lunch your test is marked, and if you've passed then you wait awkwardly while they kick out the people who didn't pass. This is supposed to be followed by a group exercise, but during my interview there were only 2 of us left out of the initial 5, and so the group exercise wasn't run.

There are a number of interviews (I think I had 4) that are all technical/problem solving interviews. All the interviewers were very pleasant and friendly, and the questions weren't particularly difficult.

If you pass that, then you're invited back for more interviews (pretty quickly, I think I heard within a week). The next set of interviews is largely the same - 4 more technical interviews that are very similar to the first round, maybe slightly more difficult. Then you end the day with an interview with the CTO and then CEO. Everyone was incredibly friendly and down to earth, with the CEO being especially nice.

After this, I heard back within 2 working days.

I noticed on previous reviews that someone suggested to not turn up over-dressed. I couldn't work out why all other candidates were so casually dressed and I was there in suit and tie, until I got home and read that review. I recommend ignoring the previous advice, and arriving dressed as you would for any other interview.

Also of note is that their website is pretty sparse. They're aware of this, and don't expect you to know much about the company in advance. Everything that you need to know will be explained on the day.

Interview Questions
    • I can't really answer this because of the NDA that was signed.   Answer Question

Quantitative Researcher Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Gloucester Research.

Have been contacted by headhunter and applied for the position. They seem to look for candidates all year long as I was offered to apply several times. However, they just organise a 1h30 test going on a lot of different subjects without meeting you in person. The test can be on the distance, but then the condition to take it can be very POOR like it was for me. So be ready.

Interview Questions
    • Mathematics test going from maths, modeling, probability, portfolio management, statistics to informatics   View Answer

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Gloucester Research in October 2013.

The human interaction is a minimum, their office is eerily empty and silent. Apart from the interviewer and the receptionist, I could see only one man who wore sneakers and shorts (in October). It's definitely a bad idea to dress up for this interview.

First they took my bag and my mobile, then they had me sign an NDA, so I can't go into details. The interviewer sat me in a room with a pile of problems, then he came back after 60 minutes, checked my solutions and just told me to go away because I couldn't finish. The questions were not really difficult, it's the time that was too short.

Quant Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Gloucester Research.

One 90 minutes exam. It was to be followed by face-to-face interviews. As noted by others here, the exam is lengthy and I failed. From there they walked me to the door.

Even though I failed, I'm rating the exam average difficulty because the concepts needed are very very basic. But you have to be able to do many calculations without mistakes from beginning to the end, and quickly.

I'm also rating the overall experience negative only because being my first interview ever I expected that at least gain experience with face to face interviews, but unfortunately I didn't even get that far.

Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

You are taken to a room where you have a test, they come back an hour later and make you wait while they score it. I got the impression that if you score poorly you won't even talk to anyone.
    I got to a "second" stage where you are interviewed in person by someone senior.

Interview Questions
    • I signed a non-disclosure agreement so I cannot tell. I'll just say that I did not find any of
      them particularly difficult.
        Answer Question

Researcher Interview

Probability and statistics written test, with 5-6 questions and sub-questions. Rather difficult overall despite 1 and 1/2 hour available. Unfortunately had to do it in a freezing cold room, which did not help. Some questions relatively approachable, some very difficult. Had minimal feedback and no chance to discuss the answers with the interviewer.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Gloucester Research.

First round A one hour test, followed by 6 twenty minutes interviews with team manager
    Second round 4-6 one hour interviews with team member, managers and senior manager

Quantitative Research Interview

A written test. Lot's of questions. Better to spend less time on nasty problems.