GoPro Interview Questions

Updated Jul 1, 2015

2.6

Music Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at GoPro (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

Emailed to set up a skype pre-interview. Once skype opened ...first thing was that they laughed. Phone interview lasted less than 2 minute and they didn't seem to know what to ask or say other than do you own a GoPro. That made the process difficult.
    No information about the job, what skills or experience I have, etc. I don't think they knew much about the position or had experience interviewing applicants. There was no further follow up (from them).

Interview Questions

• Somewhat silly question along the lines... 'so, you know, like, all these famous film makers and you can call them ..."   1 Answer

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at GoPro (San Mateo, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Overall it was a positive experience. It took almost 6-7 weeks total from the date I applied online. With as many people as they are hiring, the recruiter was responsive and organized throughout the whole process, although a few follow up emails were required nothing out of the ordinary. I had 4 stages for this interview: phone screening with the recruiter, phone interview with the hiring manger, and two on-site interviews with nine different individuals (1:1s). There were six people in the first on-site over 4 hours and three in the 2nd onsite over 2.5 hours. It was a bit repetitive and exhausting going through that many 1:1 interviews in a row, but ultimately it was more comfortable and engaging compared to a panel or group interview. They are really big on not only finding the person with the right talent but also finding a culture fit. I was bummed of course in the end when I didn't get it, but it came down to the other candidate having more experience, so what can you do. I am glad I had the opportunity.

Interview Questions

• What experience and attributes would you bring to the team that would be an advantage over other candidates?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a project that went horribly wrong and how did you fix it/get through it?   Answer Question
    • What do you do if someone is not providing enough info to kick off a project but they want you to start anyways?   Answer Question

Online Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at GoPro (San Mateo, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

First you get a phone screen. The recruiter was very nice, the conversation flowed well and I got a better understanding of what GoPro is looking for, how I might fit the mold, and she got a better understanding of what I can do and offer the company. Next came another phone interview but with someone in the department I'm applying for. This was a very low stress call. Just a way to get to know the person in my department I will be working with/for and see if we mesh well, a chance to prove to him via phone that I'm not an idiot. Then next came the inperson interview. This was a 3.5 hour interview with 7 people. It was long and somewhat intense, given the amount of people you meet with, but everyone was great and super nice.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for GoPro?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at GoPro (San Jose, CA) in June 2013.

Interview

interview by hire manager that he take me to a conference room. At first he talk about his project and his group, then I was asked that the project I do and the system architecture and with some detail. The whole process take about a hour mostly about software design.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at GoPro in June 2015.

Interview

Applied online, and week later got email on a project that would relate to the job positions.

They said they were interested based on resume. Was told to complete a 3 step project that would not take more than two days. There was no email saying, "we recived your submission."

4 days later, did a follow up to the recuritor, no email back, and then the rejection email saying your not qualified. So not sure if they even look at my work I summited, took about 10 hours to complete.

I would say, lot of application, so make sure you resume and all your work stands out. Don't expect any one-to-one process at the very start.

Hope that helps.

Photo Retoucher Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at GoPro in November 2014.

Interview

Two editing tests, each of 3-5 photos and a text document with directions for each photo. I had fun doing it, and found it to be between average and difficult. The first test was tricky and a bit tough, but the second was quite well rounded and not bad. Submittal through Dropbox. They responded saying they had received it, and that was the last I had ever heard back.

Interview Questions

• The only questions I was asked pertained to how I would go about editing an image.   Answer Question

Web Analyst Interview

Interview

Hiring process involved an initial phone interview with an internal recruiter. Overall I would say it was more of a poor reflection on the recruiter rather than the company, but she was extremely unprepared, repeated herself (facts,info about the company, questions) multiple times. Overall, it was an unprofessional interview that I found very offputting, and ultimately cut short intentionally (I made up that I had an emergency meeting I had to run to so I could get off the phone).

Interview Questions

• Most unexpected was the individual began asking me about unrelated positions I held while in college. Not really sure what she was getting at with the questions, I think maybe she just thought they were interesting?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at GoPro.

Interview

I was contacted by a member of their recruiting team to set up a phone interview via email. After a couple of messages back and forth to make sure a time frame worked, I never heard anything back. The next day I get a call from the recruiter asking if I was ready for the phone interview. While taken aback slightly, this was not a problem, but should have foreshadowed the lack of professionalism that this company has. The phone interview went well and was immediately scheduled for round 2. After speaking with the person that would potentially be my boss for near an hour during round 2, I was fast tracked to an in person interview. During this interview, I spent four hours meeting with six different people that make up the team. This was very exciting for me and I really appreciated the opportunity to meet with everyone and get valuable insights of the company. Most of the questions were typical interview questions about my previous experience and why I thought I was a fit. I thought it went fairly well but obviously one is in no way guaranteed a job just because they interviewed at a company. This is where my problem lies with GoPro. I spent roughly six hours with them and never heard from them again. I waited about a week post interview and called to check on the status. I was told by the initial recruiter that I spoke with that she was out of the loop and would have someone else call me back that day with an update. Never did. I then called that person directly a few days later and spoke with her asking for an update. She said that the team was discussing and would call me back later that day with an update. Again, no call. I then tried back about a week later knowing that my chances were pretty much eliminated, but it would be nice to be told that. Again, I was told that the team was deciding and I would be called back shortly. Shocker! Never heard a word. I understand that a company cannot respond to everyone that applies to a position. What I do not understand, and find INCREDIBLY unprofessional, is to not have the courage to tell someone "No" after they spend six hours interviewing and almost miss out on another opportunity while they anxiously await word from you.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question I was asked was regarding my experience from a couple of different interviewers. Some thought I was over qualified and wanted to know why I wanted the job, while two others thought I was under-qualified and wanted to know if I could handle the load. No questions were hard, it was just confusing to get such different responses.   Answer Question

Director Product Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at GoPro (San Mateo, CA) in March 2014.

Interview

I found an opening on GoPro's site and proceeded to contact a few acquaintances within the company. Afterwards I submitted my resume via one of these contacts and got an initial phone screen interview. Prior to the phone screen I was required to sign an NDA. The Phone interview was pretty straight-forward, asking about business acumen and experience.

The next phase was a round of in-person interviews with 5-6 people in various cross-functional roles. A week later I was asked to come back in the next day for a second round. The second round was with 3 people, and an additional person via Skype. I was told it was between myself and another person.

After 2 weeks I was notified via email that they opted to go with another candidate. IOverall it was a good experience

Interview Questions

• Nothing very difficult, business experience and skill set.   Answer Question

Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at GoPro (San Mateo, CA).

Interview

The interview process here took about a month from initial recruiter contact to final decision, and was great from start to finish. While I didn't end up getting an offer, I found every single person I met with to be very professional and passionate about the company, I was impressed with all of the people I met. It seems like it would be a great place to work, especially for a young (early thirties) man. It is a very heavily male/sporty/casual culture, and I suspect that it would be very difficult for someone that looks different to be accepted. (This is not a criticism, it is human nature to choose people that look just like you, especially at a young company.)

Interview Questions

• I didn't find that the interviews followed any sort of set format - the conversations were all very open and organic in terms of what was going on in the industry and the specific needs of the business, and how my particular skill set was relevant. There did seem to be a little bit of disagreement or maybe empire-building going on within/between two of the organizations - but I think that is to be expected with a company that is growing so quickly.   Answer Question