Godiva Chocolatier

Updated Oct 5, 2014
Updated Oct 5, 2014

2.6

Global Designer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Godiva Chocolatier.

The hiring and interview process generally takes at least a month, if not longer. You have to meet with HR as well as the internal team you would be working with.

Interview Questions
    • The company is marketing driven so the most difficult questions would be related to how to better market the product/brand.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

a very basic interview, but I was asked about previous retail experience and what I knew about the company. There was quite a bit of paperwork for a retail job.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Godiva Chocolatier.

I went in to get a gift and the manager at the time hired me on the spot. I filled out an application just for the company, there was no real interview.

Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Godiva Chocolatier in January 2014.

I interviewed in January 2014 for an Analyst position at corporate in PA, and the recruiter was rude and offensive. Godiva apparently contracts their recruiting to a company called ORS, so the recruiter was interviewing me on behalf of Godiva.

The interview took a downturn very quickly. About the 3rd question in, the recruiter said that it seemed like I had a great job at a great company (ha! if only perception were reality), so why are we talking? My thought was uhh... you tell me. The recruiter and I had corresponded for a few days before the interview, and she had asked why I was interested in this position. I explained to her that I was seeking opportunities to grow professionally/grow my breath of experience and that this position seemed like a great opportunity to grow my programming skills. I thought I'd made this clear via email, so why are we revisiting it during the interview? I reiterated to her that I was looking to grow professionally, and her response was that I needed to sell myself better on why I wanted to leave. Huh... never realized that I needed to sell myself on why I wanted to leave, I thought I needed to sell myself on why I wanted this job. She also mentioned that I needed to be truthful about why I wanted to leave. Where is this coming?? Not sure what she was trying to get at, but honestly, that was it. Having seen my resume and having corresponded a few days before the interview, if the recruiter had any doubts, she shouldn't have interviewed me.

The recruiter then asked how this position would help me grow professionally. I explained to her that it's a new company, new team, new products, new database and tools, new responsibilities and expectations, so there was much to learn. The recruiter indicated that the next step up from where I am is a managerial role, and since this position wasn't a managerial role, she didn't see the growth. Isn't learning in any capacity growing? Why is growing limited to what your title is? And once again, if she had doubts, then why did she interview me?

The recruiter also gave me her two cents on how a good manager will help you find opportunities in the company (yeah, well, sometimes those opportunities aren't there, so in my opinion, a good manager helps nurture your career by encouraging you to seek opportunities you're interested in) and how only people who've been with a company for 7 years know that they've maximized all options (really, 7 years? why would it take you so long to realize that?). Clearly, the recruiter and I weren't going to see eye-to-eye on anything.

The position would have required relocation, and her questions were a repeat of what she asked via email a few days earlier. Are you ok with relocation? Do you own or rent? She also asked an odd question, whether I had factored in standard of living into my salary. I had, but why does she care?

She left a few minutes for questions I had (about the job and Godiva), and she couldn't answer most of them. Or maybe she just wanted to end the call.

This was by far the most infuriating interview I had, and I should have ended it within the first 5 minutes vs. letting it continue. Aside from her constant interruptions, her tone just said it all. If she's the "face" of Godiva to prospective candidates, then, no thank you. I'm withdrawing my application. This position is not my end all be all.

Interview Questions
    • Standard interview questions. Why do you want to leave your current employer? What do you know about Godiva? Walk me through your resume. What is your biggest accomplishment?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I applied in-person – interviewed at Godiva Chocolatier.

There is two different interviews, the first is with the supervisor and the second is with the manager. (I'm waiting on the second interview). There is two parts to the first interview: first a normal interview, mainly questions about you and if you're a friendly person. Then the second part starts: role playing: you go back to the store, take like 2 minutes to walk around it then you have to role play as the salesperson and they're the customer and you have to "sell" them a product. (She had told me that most people get nervous at the roleplaying part, and I did). But she told me that she liked our talking part and that she would put in a good word for me with the second interview.

Interview Questions
    • I've only done the first interview and it went pretty well. I was nervous at first, but I started to calm down until I did the roleplaying part, but after the second part I told her I was nervous and she said that she liked the first part, so I think it overshadowed the second part.   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Godiva Chocolatier.

I received a promotion so I didn't have to do an initial interview.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you think you would be a good store manager?   View Answer
    I wasn't able to negotiate. I took what they gave me.

Account Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Godiva Chocolatier.

Applied online and got a phone call back to set up a interview about 5 days later. Interview was very casual and easy. Interview did last over one hour but manager did most of the talking. I felt very comfortable during the processes and was happy with the job requirements. Seems like a wonderful opportunity!

Interview Questions
    • Tell me what is one thing you would like to improve about yourself?   Answer Question
    I was offered a fair salary and accepted the offer.

Godiva- Key Holder Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Godiva Chocolatier in April 2013.

You'll meet with the Store Manager and answer typical retail sales questions. After that, you'll have an interview with the District Manager. These are a little different, and should be prepared for accordingly. The store manager interview will focus on day to day tasks and selling, testing chocolate background, and ability to describe the product.

The DM interview will focus on procedures, secret shop, and overall philosophy.

Interview Questions
    • Be ready to describe the chocolate. I thought I could describe food before, but these guys are the pros.   Answer Question

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Godiva Chocolatier in March 2013.

Very casual conversation. They want to know about you, and what you have to offer the business. Not just professionally, but attitude and motivation as well. Be prepared to talk about "why Godiva".. and not just because of the chocolate. Have STAR experiences in mind.
    Questions require a lot of thinking...

Interview Questions
    • What do you have to bring to my already in place and seasoned team?   Answer Question
    Take what you can get...

Godiva Corporate Employee Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Godiva Chocolatier.

The hiring process took more than two and a half months. It was long and more drawn out than it needed to be. Some of the questions I was asked were leading due to relatively inexperienced interviewer. HR was very nice and the onboarding process was very smooth and organized.

Interview Questions
    • The question that threw me off was when I was asked what negative things I experienced with my previous manager and why. It was a way to see whether said experience could be avoided.   Answer Question
    I was not able to negotiate my salary.