Godiva Chocolatier

43 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Godiva- Key Holder Interview

Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Godiva Chocolatier in April 2013.

Interview Details – You'll meet with the Store Manager and answer typical retail sales questions. After that, you'll have an interview with the District Manager. These are a little different, and should be prepared for accordingly. The store manager interview will focus on day to day tasks and selling, testing chocolate background, and ability to describe the product.

The DM interview will focus on procedures, secret shop, and overall philosophy.

Interview Question – Be ready to describe the chocolate. I thought I could describe food before, but these guys are the pros.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Godiva Chocolatier in January 2014.

Interview Details – I interviewed in January 2014 for an Analyst position at corporate in PA, and the recruiter was rude and offensive. Godiva apparently contracts their recruiting to a company called ORS, so the recruiter was interviewing me on behalf of Godiva.

The interview took a downturn very quickly. About the 3rd question in, the recruiter said that it seemed like I had a great job at a great company (ha! if only perception were reality), so why are we talking? My thought was uhh... you tell me. The recruiter and I had corresponded for a few days before the interview, and she had asked why I was interested in this position. I explained to her that I was seeking opportunities to grow professionally/grow my breath of experience and that this position seemed like a great opportunity to grow my programming skills. I thought I'd made this clear via email, so why are we revisiting it during the interview? I reiterated to her that I was looking to grow professionally, and her response was that I needed to sell myself better on why I wanted to leave. Huh... never realized that I needed to sell myself on why I wanted to leave, I thought I needed to sell myself on why I wanted this job. She also mentioned that I needed to be truthful about why I wanted to leave. Where is this coming?? Not sure what she was trying to get at, but honestly, that was it. Having seen my resume and having corresponded a few days before the interview, if the recruiter had any doubts, she shouldn't have interviewed me.

The recruiter then asked how this position would help me grow professionally. I explained to her that it's a new company, new team, new products, new database and tools, new responsibilities and expectations, so there was much to learn. The recruiter indicated that the next step up from where I am is a managerial role, and since this position wasn't a managerial role, she didn't see the growth. Isn't learning in any capacity growing? Why is growing limited to what your title is? And once again, if she had doubts, then why did she interview me?

The recruiter also gave me her two cents on how a good manager will help you find opportunities in the company (yeah, well, sometimes those opportunities aren't there, so in my opinion, a good manager helps nurture your career by encouraging you to seek opportunities you're interested in) and how only people who've been with a company for 7 years know that they've maximized all options (really, 7 years? why would it take you so long to realize that?). Clearly, the recruiter and I weren't going to see eye-to-eye on anything.

The position would have required relocation, and her questions were a repeat of what she asked via email a few days earlier. Are you ok with relocation? Do you own or rent? She also asked an odd question, whether I had factored in standard of living into my salary. I had, but why does she care?

She left a few minutes for questions I had (about the job and Godiva), and she couldn't answer most of them. Or maybe she just wanted to end the call.

This was by far the most infuriating interview I had, and I should have ended it within the first 5 minutes vs. letting it continue. Aside from her constant interruptions, her tone just said it all. If she's the "face" of Godiva to prospective candidates, then, no thank you. I'm withdrawing my application. This position is not my end all be all.

Interview Question – Standard interview questions. Why do you want to leave your current employer? What do you know about Godiva? Walk me through your resume. What is your biggest accomplishment?   Answer Question

Assistant Manager Interview

Assistant Manager
Los Angeles, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Godiva Chocolatier in March 2013.

Interview Details – Very casual conversation. They want to know about you, and what you have to offer the business. Not just professionally, but attitude and motivation as well. Be prepared to talk about "why Godiva".. and not just because of the chocolate. Have STAR experiences in mind.
Questions require a lot of thinking...

Interview Question – What do you have to bring to my already in place and seasoned team?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Take what you can get...

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Godiva Chocolatier in March 2012.

Interview Details – They take a long time to initially get you working through the door. I recommend face to face interaction with the manager because there are literally hundreds of applications. I can't say for everyone else but the person who hired me didn't exactly throw me any curve balls during the interview.

Interview Question – Mostly your basic Customer Service stuff.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No, they just don't pay well

Houston, TX

I applied in-person and interviewed at Godiva Chocolatier.

Interview Details – There is two different interviews, the first is with the supervisor and the second is with the manager. (I'm waiting on the second interview). There is two parts to the first interview: first a normal interview, mainly questions about you and if you're a friendly person. Then the second part starts: role playing: you go back to the store, take like 2 minutes to walk around it then you have to role play as the salesperson and they're the customer and you have to "sell" them a product. (She had told me that most people get nervous at the roleplaying part, and I did). But she told me that she liked our talking part and that she would put in a good word for me with the second interview.

Interview Question – I've only done the first interview and it went pretty well. I was nervous at first, but I started to calm down until I did the roleplaying part, but after the second part I told her I was nervous and she said that she liked the first part, so I think it overshadowed the second part.   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

Store Manager

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Godiva Chocolatier.

Interview Details – I received a promotion so I didn't have to do an initial interview.

Interview Question – Why do you think you would be a good store manager?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I wasn't able to negotiate. I took what they gave me.

Assistant Manager Interview

Assistant Manager

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Godiva Chocolatier in January 2012.

Interview Details – I saw a posting on Craig's List for a part time key holder. I was contacted by the DM within a week for an interview. After the interview, I was called back within a week to start paperwork/background checks which took another week. I eventually started working approximately a month after I initially responded to the original ad on Craig's List. After staying with the company for about 6 months I was promoted to full time key holder. Then about 8 months later I was promoted to ASM and moved to a higher volume store. No interviews were conducted when I was advancing because I had already established a relationship with my DM and was just filling in positions that became available due to others leaving. Overall, good hiring/interview experience and good opportunities for advancement after being hired.

Interview Question – How do you handle a customer who is satisfied with your product? What are some of the most important steps in customer service?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation phase. I was told that they started off key holders at $9.10 an hour and that it was nonnegotiable. When I was promoted to ASM, it was slightly more negotiable. I really had to have my store manager fight for my raise. Godiva doesn't pay too well, so it wasn't much, but it was still better than what I was making. Originally offered $11 to be an ASM, but got it bumped up to $11.25 after thoroughly explaining everything I was capable of.

Key Holder Interview

Key Holder
Madison, WI

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Godiva Chocolatier in October 2011.

Interview Details – I filled out an application in person, turned it in.

A week later I got a call from the assistant manager and was asked to come in for an interview. I was asked questions of my retail experience, my experience with customer service and speaking to people in general (Was I shy or not).

After the first interview, I was called in for the second and final interview by the general manager of the store. It was a group interview of myself and two others. We were being hired on temporarily for the winter months as the store gets VERY busy from November all the way through February (Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, and the biggest holiday for GOdiva was Valentine's Day). Most of the questions from the second interview were similar to the first, retail experience, customer satisfaction, etc.

After doing well in both interviews, I was offered the job!

Interview Question – The interview process didn't have any difficult or unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I asked for $8 hourly, however because it was originally a seasonal job, I was given $7.50 to start. I was kept on as a permanent employee after the season ended, and 6 months later was given a keyholder position when one opened up. The pay went from $7.50 to $8.50 hourly.

Account Coordinator Interview

Account Coordinator

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Godiva Chocolatier.

Interview Details – Applied online and got a phone call back to set up a interview about 5 days later. Interview was very casual and easy. Interview did last over one hour but manager did most of the talking. I felt very comfortable during the processes and was happy with the job requirements. Seems like a wonderful opportunity!

Interview Question – Tell me what is one thing you would like to improve about yourself?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was offered a fair salary and accepted the offer.

Very Difficult Interview

Mission Viejo, CA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Godiva Chocolatier in October 2012.

Interview Details – There was an older woman working at the Mission Viejo location. I asked her if she was hiring for the holidays. She told me she was & gave me an application. I filled it out, brought it to her & she said in a very snooty manner, "I'l hire whoever meets my criteria." Naturally, she never called me. First of all, people who spend $6 on a truffle don't know what criteria is. They don't have the mentality. Second, I have sold diamonds and high-end jewelry. How is someone who has sold luxury goods not qualified to sell gourmet chocolate? She missed out on some good add-ons like she misses her 25 year old waist.

Interview Question – She did not give me a chance to speak about anything.   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Godiva Chocolatier

Worked for Godiva Chocolatier? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Godiva Chocolatier interview questions and advice. All 43 interview reviews posted anonymously by Godiva Chocolatier employees and interview candidates.