Godiva Chocolatier

13 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Godiva Chocolatier.

Interview Details – I went in to get a gift and the manager at the time hired me on the spot. I filled out an application just for the company, there was no real interview.

Interview Question – When can you start?   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Godiva Chocolatier in March 2012.

Interview Details – They take a long time to initially get you working through the door. I recommend face to face interaction with the manager because there are literally hundreds of applications. I can't say for everyone else but the person who hired me didn't exactly throw me any curve balls during the interview.

Interview Question – Mostly your basic Customer Service stuff.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No, they just don't pay well

Houston, TX

I applied in-person and interviewed at Godiva Chocolatier.

Interview Details – There is two different interviews, the first is with the supervisor and the second is with the manager. (I'm waiting on the second interview). There is two parts to the first interview: first a normal interview, mainly questions about you and if you're a friendly person. Then the second part starts: role playing: you go back to the store, take like 2 minutes to walk around it then you have to role play as the salesperson and they're the customer and you have to "sell" them a product. (She had told me that most people get nervous at the roleplaying part, and I did). But she told me that she liked our talking part and that she would put in a good word for me with the second interview.

Interview Question – I've only done the first interview and it went pretty well. I was nervous at first, but I started to calm down until I did the roleplaying part, but after the second part I told her I was nervous and she said that she liked the first part, so I think it overshadowed the second part.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Mission Viejo, CA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Godiva Chocolatier in October 2012.

Interview Details – There was an older woman working at the Mission Viejo location. I asked her if she was hiring for the holidays. She told me she was & gave me an application. I filled it out, brought it to her & she said in a very snooty manner, "I'l hire whoever meets my criteria." Naturally, she never called me. First of all, people who spend $6 on a truffle don't know what criteria is. They don't have the mentality. Second, I have sold diamonds and high-end jewelry. How is someone who has sold luxury goods not qualified to sell gourmet chocolate? She missed out on some good add-ons like she misses her 25 year old waist.

Interview Question – She did not give me a chance to speak about anything.   View Answer

Bloomington, MN

I applied in-person and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Godiva Chocolatier.

Interview Details – I filled out and submitted an application in person, and received a call that evening (they were hiring, and I had a friend who worked there who was able to vouch for me). A group interview was scheduled the following Monday. The day of, the manager took us (myself and two other applicants) to a loud area (the Godiva shop was in a mall) to gauge how well we could make ourselves heard. She asked us questions like:
 "Have you ever been in a situation with a displeased customer that you felt like you were able to smooth over,"
"How would your coworkers describe what you bring to the team," and
"How did you handle a specific stressful situation?"
After we answered, she had us look over some of the company policies and one of the catalogues. Then she had us 'sell' her a specific product.
I called in the next day for a second interview, this time with the assistant manager. The AM brought us back to the loud area and asked us questions like:
"Have you ever been in a situation where the managers changed something, how did you cope with that change, and what would you have done differently,"
"In what instance do you think you went above and beyond to help a customer," and
"What work-related accomplishment are you most proud of?"
The AM then also had us try and sell her a product.
Both the Manager and the AM were quite specific about being focused on customer service. The people they want to hire need to be constantly cheerful, attentive without being pushy, and able to talk to people easily.

Interview Question – I wasn't really sure what to expect, so most of the questions were a bit difficult, but looking back on them now they seem pretty average. Probably, "In what instance do you think you went above and beyond to help a customer," just because 'above and beyond' sounds so dramatic and spectacular.   Answer Question

White Plains, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Godiva Chocolatier in July 2008.

Interview Details – After I submitted my application to Godiva I got a call after a few days. I was called in to answer a few easy questions and taste a product they were developing. After that I was offered a job. It was all pretty casual with easy questions like describing my last job and if i was able to taste different chocolates and describe them.

Interview Question – I didn't know I would have to taste a product not even out yet and describe it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I asked for 8.50 an hour and that's how much I got.

Detroit, MI

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Godiva Chocolatier in February 2011.

Interview Details – I applied in person. The manager looked over my application and immediately scheduled me for an interview. I had no retail experience, only babysitting jobs. The interview was very simple, basic questions.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Silver Spring, MD

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Godiva Chocolatier in December 2010.

Interview Details – Godiva will typically hire you if you have the experience theyre looking for; customer service and retail. If this is your first job you are applying to, theres still a chance of being hired, just include your volunteer work and great references. I just went in and asked for application. Typically you want to go in at a time where the store manager/hiring manager is there. If not its okay, just ask for an application and find out when the manager will be in. Its good for you to talk to the manager and let them know who you are. Complete your application as much as possible and try to return it to the manager. Before you leave ask them 'how soon can you hear back from them?'. Give it about a week, and if you havent been contacted, you can take it upon yourself to return and personally ask them about the status of your application. When the interview time comes around, make sure you let them know that you have your own transportation, and your availability. You need to either be available to open or close the store (am or pm shifts). Be professional in the interview, and youve got it.

Interview Question – What kind of experience do you have with customer care?   Answer Question

Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Godiva Chocolatier in August 2009.

Interview Details – I dropped into one of their stores in a busy downtown location. The store was clean looking and the staff were very friendly. I didn't feel intimidated nor nervous about giving them my resume. A few days later, I received a phone call from their assistant store manager. Our interview was very pleasant and felt more like a conversation.

Godiva Chocolatier is more of a traditional company. No need for online resume or questionaaire.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself 5 years from now?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation

Interview Details – There were two group interviews back to back:
first interview: Why do you want to work here?
                          What kind of hours ar eyou looking for?
                          What qualities do you have that fit our job description?
                          Rate yourself from one to ten on confidence, and efficiency
second interview: What would you do if you encountered a mean/grumpy customer?
                                 What would you do if your co-workers didn't like you very much?
                                  How would you handle someone stealing something?

Interview Question – How would you handle someone stealing something?

What would you do if your co-workers didn't like you very much?
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – no negotiation

Worked for Godiva Chocolatier? Contribute to the Community!