Godiva Chocolatier

Updated Sep 15, 2014

2.6

13 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Sales Associate Interview

a very basic interview, but I was asked about previous retail experience and what I knew about the company. There was quite a bit of paperwork for a retail job.

Other Interview Reviews for Godiva Chocolatier

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Godiva Chocolatier.

I went in to get a gift and the manager at the time hired me on the spot. I filled out an application just for the company, there was no real interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied in-person – interviewed at Godiva Chocolatier.

There is two different interviews, the first is with the supervisor and the second is with the manager. (I'm waiting on the second interview). There is two parts to the first interview: first a normal interview, mainly questions about you and if you're a friendly person. Then the second part starts: role playing: you go back to the store, take like 2 minutes to walk around it then you have to role play as the salesperson and they're the customer and you have to "sell" them a product. (She had told me that most people get nervous at the roleplaying part, and I did). But she told me that she liked our talking part and that she would put in a good word for me with the second interview.

Interview Questions
    • I've only done the first interview and it went pretty well. I was nervous at first, but I started to calm down until I did the roleplaying part, but after the second part I told her I was nervous and she said that she liked the first part, so I think it overshadowed the second part.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, MN

I applied in-person. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Godiva Chocolatier.

I filled out and submitted an application in person, and received a call that evening (they were hiring, and I had a friend who worked there who was able to vouch for me). A group interview was scheduled the following Monday. The day of, the manager took us (myself and two other applicants) to a loud area (the Godiva shop was in a mall) to gauge how well we could make ourselves heard. She asked us questions like:
     "Have you ever been in a situation with a displeased customer that you felt like you were able to smooth over,"
    "How would your coworkers describe what you bring to the team," and
    "How did you handle a specific stressful situation?"
    After we answered, she had us look over some of the company policies and one of the catalogues. Then she had us 'sell' her a specific product.
    I called in the next day for a second interview, this time with the assistant manager. The AM brought us back to the loud area and asked us questions like:
    "Have you ever been in a situation where the managers changed something, how did you cope with that change, and what would you have done differently,"
    "In what instance do you think you went above and beyond to help a customer," and
    "What work-related accomplishment are you most proud of?"
    The AM then also had us try and sell her a product.
    Both the Manager and the AM were quite specific about being focused on customer service. The people they want to hire need to be constantly cheerful, attentive without being pushy, and able to talk to people easily.

Interview Questions
    • I wasn't really sure what to expect, so most of the questions were a bit difficult, but looking back on them now they seem pretty average. Probably, "In what instance do you think you went above and beyond to help a customer," just because 'above and beyond' sounds so dramatic and spectacular.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mission Viejo, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mission Viejo, CA

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Godiva Chocolatier in October 2012.

There was an older woman working at the Mission Viejo location. I asked her if she was hiring for the holidays. She told me she was & gave me an application. I filled it out, brought it to her & she said in a very snooty manner, "I'l hire whoever meets my criteria." Naturally, she never called me. First of all, people who spend $6 on a truffle don't know what criteria is. They don't have the mentality. Second, I have sold diamonds and high-end jewelry. How is someone who has sold luxury goods not qualified to sell gourmet chocolate? She missed out on some good add-ons like she misses her 25 year old waist.

Interview Questions
    • She did not give me a chance to speak about anything.   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Godiva Chocolatier in March 2012.

They take a long time to initially get you working through the door. I recommend face to face interaction with the manager because there are literally hundreds of applications. I can't say for everyone else but the person who hired me didn't exactly throw me any curve balls during the interview.

Interview Questions
    No, they just don't pay well

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Godiva Chocolatier in February 2011.

I applied in person. The manager looked over my application and immediately scheduled me for an interview. I had no retail experience, only babysitting jobs. The interview was very simple, basic questions.

No negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Silver Spring, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Silver Spring, MD

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Godiva Chocolatier in December 2010.

Godiva will typically hire you if you have the experience theyre looking for; customer service and retail. If this is your first job you are applying to, theres still a chance of being hired, just include your volunteer work and great references. I just went in and asked for application. Typically you want to go in at a time where the store manager/hiring manager is there. If not its okay, just ask for an application and find out when the manager will be in. Its good for you to talk to the manager and let them know who you are. Complete your application as much as possible and try to return it to the manager. Before you leave ask them 'how soon can you hear back from them?'. Give it about a week, and if you havent been contacted, you can take it upon yourself to return and personally ask them about the status of your application. When the interview time comes around, make sure you let them know that you have your own transportation, and your availability. You need to either be available to open or close the store (am or pm shifts). Be professional in the interview, and youve got it.

Interview Questions
    • What kind of experience do you have with customer care?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in White Plains, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in White Plains, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Godiva Chocolatier in July 2008.

After I submitted my application to Godiva I got a call after a few days. I was called in to answer a few easy questions and taste a product they were developing. After that I was offered a job. It was all pretty casual with easy questions like describing my last job and if i was able to taste different chocolates and describe them.

Interview Questions
    • I didn't know I would have to taste a product not even out yet and describe it.   Answer Question
    I asked for 8.50 an hour and that's how much I got.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Godiva Chocolatier.

There were two group interviews back to back:
    first interview: Why do you want to work here?
                              What kind of hours ar eyou looking for?
                              What qualities do you have that fit our job description?
                              Rate yourself from one to ten on confidence, and efficiency
    second interview: What would you do if you encountered a mean/grumpy customer?
                                     What would you do if your co-workers didn't like you very much?
                                      How would you handle someone stealing something?

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle someone stealing something?

What would you do if your co-workers didn't like you very much?

View Answer