Gold's Gym

Getting the Interview

9 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Dundalk, MD

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Gold's Gym in December 2011.

Interview Details – Applied online, received a call back about 3 weeks later. Went in for an interview and the interviewer was 15mins late, not a good start. Received the usual questions (Why do you want to work here? What is your greatest strength? etc). After that, I was asked questions about health and fitness. Then I was given a list of foods and had to say whether they were a carb, fat, or protein and a list of exercises and had to say which body part they worked.

Interview Question – Name 5 cardiovascular exercises not on a machine   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Los Angeles, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Gold's Gym in November 2012.

Interview Details – I emailed my resume to the person whole contact info was listed for a new location.
He emailed me back the same evening asking that I come in for an interview the following week at a specific time and day.

I went to the location for my interview, and it was a recruiting office they had set up. The girls at the front asked if I applied already, I stated I had an interview with him at that time, and he already had my resume. I was told to fill out an application in the waiting area first and wait to be called. Anyone could have just walked in off the street for the same "interview" process.

I was called over to a desk to be interviewed by one of the people on their HR team. She was friendly and asked very basic interview questions. Tell me about yourself. What job did you like the most, what did you like the least? What would a former employer say about you? Do you have reliable transportation? Do you have any problems being on time? She asked if I would be interested in Personal Training. I had already told her that my goal, ultimately is to be a trainer and that I was studying for my certification test. I applied for the front desk position because I did not think they would consider me as a trainer without certification, isn't that illegal? She informed me that as an employee, I could get certified for free, online, through a program they have that is accredited and I could take the certification with me when I leave. She said it only takes a few days to study online and then you just have to pass the test. She told me I would talk to the Personal Training Manager next.

Sat back down. Talked to another applicant who was also interviewed for personal trainer and he has never been certified. While we waited, the Personal Training Manager did a group "interview" with a bunch of prospective trainers and stressed over and over the boss wants everyone to know the vision, mission, what sets us apart and our core values. We can't proceed with your 2nd interview without this memorized. He sent them on their way and then I was called to his desk.

For this interview, he asked: Do you like working out? How often do you work out? Do you have reliable transportation? Can you get to work on time? So you'll have no problem being on time? I was never asked anything about my knowledge of training or anything health related. He gave me the Mission/Core Values/Vision, Walk-in and phone scripts packet, told me to memorize it and come back Thursday.

Thursday, I come back, recite the info and swapped 2 lines of the pages of stuff that had to be memorized. He told me I'd have to make sure to have it word for word, OK, that's fine. He told me I'd have to get my NSCA certification completed first. What about the free online certification? I'm sure a free online certification isn't a great one even if it is accredited, but that was the main appeal of taking a minimum wage job for the free cert that I could hold in addition to NSCA's distinguished cert. Without the free certification I was no longer interested in the personal trainer position.

Interview Question – No difficult questions.   Answer Question

Kennewick, WA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Gold's Gym in October 2009.

Interview Details – Fairly simple and laid back. Was asked questions about 5 year goals, what made me want to ever become a trainer, personal interest questions, etc. I was told they would get back to me in the next few days, but actually I heard that same day. I was offered the job and I took it.

Interview Question – How do you better yourself when it comes to your sales quota?   Answer Question

Milwaukee, WI

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Gold's Gym in October 2011.

Interview Details – Initially, I was the person to contact the gym about a week after I applied. The General Manager conducted a phone interview, asking about my interests and achievements, and then brought me in for a face to face interview. The face to face interview was more in depth about my knowledge and personality, and a skills test was then scheduled, to take a 'client' through a sample workout. They judged on how frequently you encouraged the client, how often you made corrections to their form and helped them through the workout. Overall, it was a very simple interview process and the company as a whole was very welcoming. The compensation is better than fair, and the other employees are always willing to help.

Interview Questions

• Describe a problem that you have encountered in a previous work experience, and how you handled it.   Answer Question
  • What is your physical fitness philosophy?   Answer Question

Simi Valley, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Gold's Gym in July 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online from out of town. They contacted me to schedule an interview as soon as I relocated. once I moved to the location I called and they gladly let me come in the following day for an interview. They were really friendly and had a "we are a family here" atmosphere. I had a great impression of the work environment however I was disappointed that there was no real base pay as they had advertised in their job listing. They told me to come back the following for the 2nd phase of the interview which would be a practical assessment and my ability to perform my job.

Interview Question – There were no difficult questions. They just wanted to know why I wanted to work there.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is nothing to negotiate at any gold's gym as I have found out. Most GG's are franchised and thus independently operated. From my experience and research they do not value their trainers that much. Do not be fooled by their base pay and bonuses statement.

Albany, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Gold's Gym in January 2008.

Interview Details – The hiring process here is a joke. It is so biased, work expierence, education does not matter. All the matters is first impression. Does the hiring manager like you or not thats it.

Interview Question – What are you going to do when you finish school   View Answer

Negotiation Details – not able to negotiate, take it or leave it

Md City, MD

The process took a day - interviewed at Gold's Gym in February 2008.

Interview Details – just sat and talked, easy

Interview Question – so. why do you want to do this?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – wasn't my cup of tea. no pay structure set up,

Personal Trainer

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Gold's Gym.

Interview Details – I was called in for an interview and was ready and waiting 5minutes early but was kept waiting for an additional 20 minutes. When I finally was called back, there were employees and members constantly interrupting (which was annoying). The interview was short(only 10minutes) and afterwards I was told that my references would have be checked with. I waited a week but heard nothing so I called, left messages and emailed until I finally got a response back. He told me the offer would be made through email so I had to keep checking for that.

Interview Question – "Do you feel that everyone needs a gym membership"?....   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Pay was too low and I did not like the idea of being more of a sales person. I love training but I could tell this would have killed my passion and made it into more of a "job".... I didnt want that to happen.

Personal Trainer

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Gold's Gym in February 2008.

Interview Details – Spoke with fitness director on the phone then setup the interview. The interview took place the next day and we went over the job description and job expectations. Just be yourself and express your interest in the position and helping people and you should be fine. Pretty good company to work for with good pay compared to other places.

Interview Question – What do you like about training   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Gold's Gym

Worked for Gold's Gym? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Gold's Gym Personal Trainer interview questions and advice. All 9 interview reviews posted anonymously by Gold's Gym employees and interview candidates.