Golden Frog

Updated Jul 31, 2014
Updated Jul 31, 2014

2.8

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Golden Frog.

I applied through their Career site and received an email request to interview with an HR representative. The phone interview asked about my experience with development, types of projects that I worked on and working with code. It followed with a interview in the office with the Director of software and a few members of the team. They asked me questions about my job history, coding problems and why I was looking for work. A few days later the recruiter called me back with an offer.

Product Management Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Golden Frog.

- I completed 1 phone interview and 4 in-person interviews over a 2 month period. They appear to like to string their candidates along as long as possible.
    - I also completed a detailed written assignment.
    - Each interview was about 1 hour with between 1-3 different people each time.

Interview Questions
    • Their questions were not very difficult. They did not appear to have a very good understanding of the role of product management.   View Answer

I was offer a position, only for it to be retracted a few days later with no reason given.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Golden Frog in December 2013.

Got a call from a recruiter. Got an 'Exercise' to work on. Submitted and never heard from again.

Interview Questions
    • Got a silly multi threading (Simple lock problem) to complete.

Never even got the 'Pursuing other candidates' reply. Don't like my time being wasted.

Answer Question

Applications Software Developer (Desktop) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Golden Frog.

I was first given two small problems to submit code to them for review. Reverse a string with capitalizing vowels, and a two threaded array incrementation problem. I then had brief phone interview, covering my implementations and other general C++ knowledge. I was then sent a code sample and asked to analyze that code (it turned out to be Huffman coding for email addresses). An on site interview was then setup for me to discuss this analysis. That went well, except that one of the interviewers did not show up. They scheduled a second on-site, where they then gave me 4 problems to solve. Design a hunt-the-wumpus class, code a replacement function for the ternary (?:) operator, a "trick" question about the comma operator "int x = (1,2);", and how network routing tables worked.

Interview Questions
    • write a ternary operator replacement function   View Answer

Marketing Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bee Caves, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bee Caves, TX

I applied online – interviewed at Golden Frog in June 2013.

The hiring process began with a 45m phone interview which was very detailed. Like the previous reviewer said the questions were read from a list instead of being in the form of a conversation. When I asked about the culture of the company there was dead silence. The tone changed a bit and the interviewer said "well we have a kickball team" but we have a ways to go. Seemed vague and raised a red flag.

Next was the in person interview. The office was eerily quiet and seemed to have no life. The job description indicated that this was a marketing strategy and leadership role to oversee established marketing teams (SEO, PPC etc). The questions had nothing to do with leadership or strategy. They focused on the mechanics and implementation of SEO and PPC. It felt like taking a pop test and they were actively challenging the answers. Most of which would require knowing a lot more about the company and goals.

Overall there was no connection made and I wondered who would fit into this type of environment. It never felt welcoming.

Marketing Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Golden Frog.

30 minute phone interview: I was prepared to answer tough questions and have a conversation about my capabilities, as well as ask the interviewer questions I had. What I got was a very formal, impersonal line of mostly yes/no and cliche interview questions, like the interviewer had printed a list off the internet. This caught me off guard. Fifteen minutes in, I was just annoyed by the screening process and didn't care if Golden Frog was the best company to work, I didn't want to work in a company with an HR department stuck in 1982. How 90% of the questions they ask provides any feedback that accurately represents a person's capabilities, especially in a position that is not so black &white, is beyond me.

Interview Questions
    • What are your strengths and weaknesses?   View Answer

Software QA Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Golden Frog.

Was initially contacted by a hiring company on behalf of Golden Frog; he set up a quick interview to understand my goals. After which, he has to provide a summary to the company and they determine if they want to continue. So he does, then they get back to him. For the second part, he sends over an example screenshot and requirements and asks me to create test cases, which I thought was cool so they can see how people work instead of just asking them about it. I submit it back to him, he submits it to them, they respond to him, he responds to me. Third - a phone interview with an IT manager, which I thought went well. She contacts the middle man, who reaches out to me to schedule an on-site interview. Onsite interview is with the same IT manager, a company director, and an IT peer. Thought the interview went very well. Wait a couple days, don't hear anything, contact the middle man who reaches out to them and they seem to have concerns about items that were discussed during the interview. The middle man is asking me about my responses, almost as if they weren't listening during the interview. Example during interview: "I'm not an automated tester yet, but I'm interested in learning"; their feedback "He said he didn't want to do automation." This role didn't even have an automation requirement.

Interview Questions
    • After drawing a room floor plan on the marker board - "if you have three buttons on the outside of the room that control three lights on the inside of the room, how would you go about testing which button goes to which light"   View Answer

Technical Support Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Golden Frog in February 2013.

Received automated response immediately after submitting the application, which was straight forward.

There is a three step process they used while deciding to hire someone. First, you are pre-screened by an HR recruiter. Second, your screened with a bit more depth by an HR generalist. Third, you have a face to face interview with your potential manager with typical questions like tell me about yourself, what would your manager say about you, etc.

Unfortunately, most of the correspondence is done through an automated job portal, which shows poorly when communicating with an applicant.

C Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Golden Frog in October 2012.

I applied for the C Software Programmer position directly through the company website at http://www.goldenfrog.com on 9/28/2012. Within a few minutes of filling out the application I received an automated response. Later that same day HR contacted me with a problem description via e-mail. On Oct. 1 I sent in the response through their web-based portal. On Oct. 8, 2012 I received a response from Golden Frog.

I provided the correct answer to the technical question, but the manager was expecting and answer to a different set of specs. Unfortunately the automated procedures GoldenFrog uses does not cater to correcting their mistakes.

Interview Questions
    • "Write a subroutine, function, or method that takes an array of characters and returns an array of the same characters in reversed order with every consonant between 'a' and 'z' lower cased and every vowel between 'a' and 'z' upper cased."   View Answers (2)

Software QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Golden Frog in June 2012.

Was emailed under 24 hrs from submitting the application, which was fairly straight forward (not stupidly detailed like some places ask for). The phone interview with a HR rep was a few days later, and was mostly general in nature (tell me about yourself, what would your manager say about you...).

The interaction with HR was polite and professional, and the person I spoke with (unsurprisingly) seemed to know what she was doing. In addition, they did let me know in under a week after the interview that I wasn’t picked... which while it wasn’t good news, not all companies extend what should be the professional courtesy.

While I’m disappointed I didn’t make it further, I did walk away with a positive impression of the company.

Interview Questions
    • Even though the interview was with HR, there was 1 technical question; specifically “what happens when you put a web address into your browser, and press Enter”, and you had to describe in detail what happens from there.   View Answer