Goldman Sachs

Average Difficulty
17 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Analyst/Developer

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in February 2014.

Interview Details – Applied through GS website. Interviewer scheduled 3 interviews on the same day. All three are technical rounds. I was asked about current project architecture, oops concepts, design patterns, SQL joins, Spring AOP.

Interview Question – concepts of hashmap and how to create a hashmap which can be expire it's values based on given time.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in August 2012.

Interview Details – 2 phone interviews followed by an onsite interview.
The 2nd phone interview was arranged after I asked them will the trip to New York be expended. Looks like they want to know more about the candidates before they spend money on them.

Interview Questions

• Nothing is really difficult. The technical interviewers asked questions very randomly. One interviewer didn't not always give me the right hint. Another interviewer interrupted me a lot. However, their managers are all very nice people to talk to. Lots of behavioral questions about how to communicate with the end user to provide technical support.   Answer Question
  • Traverse an N*M matrix clockwise. Start from the out most layers, and move to the inner most layer in a spiral fashion. For example, if the matrix is
    1 3 4 2 1
    2 2 3 1 1
    4 1 2 1 4
    the out put is 1 3 4 2 1 1 4 1 2 1 4 2 2 3 1
      View Answer

Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in October 2011.

Interview Details – I got a call from recruiter who set up a Phone interview which consisted of 30 mins of HR interview and 30 mins of technical interview. After a couple of days I received an email that I cleared the first screening process and wanted to schedule another round of technical phone interview.

Interview Questions

• Questions where on Multithreading and Serialization???   Answer Question
  • basic java questions, difference between java and c++, questions on RESTful services.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in May 2010.

Interview Details – On the scheduled time there were no phone call from them. Waited for two hours. They rescheduled next morning announcing that interview will be in an hour and I got a different person interviewing me. The job seemingly required software engineering skills instead of data analysis skills. Was not interested in candidate's background and experience, only wanted to see if one can come ready to do things they do. That interview really looked like a phone screening. They was not sounding interested at all like they already had a candidate for the position.

Interview Question – Software engineering, design patterns.   Answer Question

Analyst Developer Interview

Analyst Developer
New York, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in October 2008.

Interview Details – Nine 30-minute interviews of varying difficult.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – No ability to negotiate.

Analyst Developer Interview

Analyst Developer
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in March 2008.

Interview Details – The interview process is rigorous. It consists of a phone interview, followed by 1 on 1 interviews with many members of the team. The more members you meet with, the better you're doing. The questions are mostly puzzles and brain teasers. Some IT related some not. In the beginning you're asked to take a written exam, which can be found online (unofficially of course). Many of the puzzles come from books and internet so it pays to prepare.

Interview Question – Write a program that prints out all possible pairs that can be formed from 20 dancers.   View Answers (2)

Interviewed at Goldman Sachs

Interview Details – Interviewed on Java but work was entirely in Slang. Interview included puzzles, pair programming, algorithms rounds and a telephonic round. Interview exp was good. you get a good feel about the company but the work hardly involves any challenges at work. You main challenge is people and dealing with people politics.

Bangalore (India)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview Details – Usually you will be required to go through a written test, with 3 sections for Aptitude, Technology and Reasoning. After that there will be at least 5 rounds of interviews depending on your performance in the initial rounds. You will be assessed on both your technical knowledge and aptitude/ logical reasoning. More emphasis is on your understanding of technology as well as your role and understanding of the projects you worked on.

Interview Question – What are the different ways threads on different JREs can communicate?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Do research and quote your expectations accordingly. Try hard to negotiate the salary when you are asked and don't hesitate to stretch the negotiations by days. Rest assured, if you are able to make it till this phase, they will try as much as they can to bring you in. But don't be rigid.

Analyst/Developer

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview Details – phone interview or a first interview with manager. then 2 whole days of back to back meetings with people of different areas. Long winded process. Be prepared to meet 12+ interviewers in a span of 2 days and in a short span of time. some questions are repeat as well. The company likes to think they are smart and they try to appear that way during the interview.

Interview Question – questions are not unexpected the interviewer organization is unexpected   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – detailed spreadsheet on expectations

Analyst/Developer

Interview Details – There was one written followed by few face to face interviews on first day. then around a month and a half later few more rounds of face to face interviews were there. All of them mostly technical and some managerial questions in between to check if you can work in a collaborative environment, handle pressure and be able to communicate confidently. Problem solving skills will be tested in almost every round of interview. Why Goldman Sachs? will be an obvious question. Interviewers were very professional and you could feel the sense of Goldman culture right away.

Interview Question – Question related to some search / sort algorithm.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It was in the expected and acceptable range.

Worked for Goldman Sachs? Contribute to the Community!