Goldman Sachs

Updated Dec 2, 2014

3.4

23 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Analyst/Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in February 2014.

Applied through GS website. Interviewer scheduled 3 interviews on the same day. All three are technical rounds. I was asked about current project architecture, oops concepts, design patterns, SQL joins, Spring AOP.

Interview Questions
  • concepts of hashmap and how to create a hashmap which can be expire it's values based on given time.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Goldman Sachs

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online – interviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2013.

very standard phone screen, highly technical, ask about most changeling project so far.
    also basic c++ questions, vtable, data structure, constructor/destructor, smart pointer, base class,
    python vs c++
    didn't get the second round

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in August 2012.

2 phone interviews followed by an onsite interview.
    The 2nd phone interview was arranged after I asked them will the trip to New York be expended. Looks like they want to know more about the candidates before they spend money on them.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing is really difficult. The technical interviewers asked questions very randomly. One interviewer didn't not always give me the right hint. Another interviewer interrupted me a lot. However, their managers are all very nice people to talk to. Lots of behavioral questions about how to communicate with the end user to provide technical support.   Answer Question
    • Traverse an N*M matrix clockwise. Start from the out most layers, and move to the inner most layer in a spiral fashion. For example, if the matrix is
      1 3 4 2 1
      2 2 3 1 1
      4 1 2 1 4
      the out put is 1 3 4 2 1 1 4 1 2 1 4 2 2 3 1

View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in October 2011.

I got a call from recruiter who set up a Phone interview which consisted of 30 mins of HR interview and 30 mins of technical interview. After a couple of days I received an email that I cleared the first screening process and wanted to schedule another round of technical phone interview.

Interview Questions
    • Questions where on Multithreading and Serialization???   Answer Question
    • basic java questions, difference between java and c++, questions on RESTful services.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in May 2010.

On the scheduled time there were no phone call from them. Waited for two hours. They rescheduled next morning announcing that interview will be in an hour and I got a different person interviewing me. The job seemingly required software engineering skills instead of data analysis skills. Was not interested in candidate's background and experience, only wanted to see if one can come ready to do things they do. That interview really looked like a phone screening. They was not sounding interested at all like they already had a candidate for the position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a dayinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in October 2008.

Nine 30-minute interviews of varying difficult.

No ability to negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in March 2008.

The interview process is rigorous. It consists of a phone interview, followed by 1 on 1 interviews with many members of the team. The more members you meet with, the better you're doing. The questions are mostly puzzles and brain teasers. Some IT related some not. In the beginning you're asked to take a written exam, which can be found online (unofficially of course). Many of the puzzles come from books and internet so it pays to prepare.

Interview Questions
    • Write a program that prints out all possible pairs that can be formed from 20 dancers.   View Answers (2)

Analyst/Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

First on-site interviews, 2 round, one presentation and one competency. The presentation is like respective web design while the competency is just competency. Nothing unexpected and nothing worth saying more.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in October 2014.

I got interviewed on 18th October in Bangalore office.
    First round was a written test consisting of one coding question and one on designing database schema on renting movie CDs and writing a SQL query.

After first round, the second round was on Core Java. Got interviewed on generics, collections etc.
    Also was asked two DS questions: 1. Sort a large file 2. An array consisting of N integers in certain range and one integer is missing. Find the missing integer

Second round was again on Java + Puzzles

Third round was asked to explain my projects. Also asked a coding question on Tress finding a shortest path.

After this I was told my feedback is positive and they will get back to me.

I was called in their office again after 1 week.

This time first round was Designing a video game for badminton. Using design patterns and OOPs concepts. Also, was asked little bit on Databases normalization stuff.

Second round was taken by a manager. It was a coding question using HashMap and Linkedlist.

Last round was HR. Asked why GoldMan etc.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at Goldman Sachs in October 2014.

Interview was for a java developer.
    First round: Written with five programming questions (choices 3 out of 5) and 2 sql select queries based on joins.
    Three rounds of technical discussion concentrating core java and few design questions.
    Interviewers were really good and made us feel connected.