Goldman Sachs Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Jun 23, 2015

3.4

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in February 2012.

Interview

Did an online resume drop and heard back from HR within a few days. Had a first round interview with the associates, one of whom sounded like a total d-bag and asked a very easy question is a very convoluted way that it may answering it difficult.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about yourself? Why do you want to work for us? What's your favorite book?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Goldman Sachs

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

very nice and laid back. I went to the office in dallas/ irving texas and had two one on one interviews. After there was a panel that was able to answer out questions. I decided to accept another offer instead, but that was just because I was closer to the other firm

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

I was selected through GS super day.
    Step 1:- Written test in java,sql objective types. They have asked two program as well in that. you need to write that program in paper
    Step 2:- If you clear written , they will take interview on same day. I have given two interview on same day and then they have asked me to go.
    Step 3: - if you clear interview, then again they will call for further technical interview with the particular team

Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

Contacted by HR with an on the spot short interview. One more phone interview then a superday. Phone interviews are mostly resume based, nothing unexpected. Superday consists of multiple back to back interviews, 2 interviewers at a time. Superday is very mentally exhausting, interviewers focus on your personality, how you deal with specific situations, and if you're truly motivated to join and contribute the Goldman culture.

Some tricky unexpected technicals, but they're just exploring your thought process and your ability to not crack under pressure. Be prepared to go in depth on all of the behavioral questions, they'll follow up simple questions with 10 minutes worth of follow up questions on your answer.

Interview Questions

• Why join a firm with so much turnover? Why this department? Where do you want to work within this department? Time worked in a group? Your role in groups?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

I had a phone interview at first. After the phone interview, I got invited for superday. I interviewed with several people and they are very nice and friendly. Interview questions weren't that hard. Most of questions were about my background.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (Bangalore (India)) in August 2013.

Interview

Interviews were long and had multiple rounds. The Interviews were taken by people on multiple levels from Senior Associates to Group Leaders. The questions involved were same in all the rounds and they were repetitive.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (Bangalore (India)) in January 2013.

Interview

Hired by Goldman Sachs as part of campus recruitment drive. Interview process consisted of four rounds. Aptitude test followed by HCM 1:1 interview were conducted on the college premises. The last two rounds with the managers from Operations division were held in Goldman Sachs Office.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Hong Kong (Hong Kong)).

Interview

Had many rounds of interview (video conference, tele conference, face-to-face, panel), very intense and challenging. Whole interview process lasted for couple of months. Interviewers are very smart and nice, and you can feel that they really enjoy working in this company. Be prepared for challenging questions that you never think of.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle conflict in opinions?   2 Answers

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

It was a campus interview which started with around 100 students applying for the job. They shortlisted 20 candidated based on their CVs. The first round was mostly about technical questions where they asked about different market risk concepts and about basics of diffenerenct fincncial instruments. They also asked about new regulatory regime Basel 3.

Interview Questions

• 1. What do you mean by Risk?
      2. What is Value at risk and what are the methods of calculating it?
      3. If 1 day 99% VaR is 10mm then what is 10 day 99% VaR?
      4. What is the underlying assumptions while scaling VaR to 10 days?
      5. What is backtesting?
      6. What are option greeks?
      7. Asked some questions about delta and Gamma like what would delta be for a long call position and other qns about different positional greeks
      8. What is liquidity coverage ratio?
      9. Compare Basel 2 and Basel 3 and then some question around new capital rules.
      10. What are your strengths?
      11. Three weaknesses
      13. Some differenct situations around team work like what would you do if you feel that other member in the team is taking your credit.. etc.
      14. Example of a situation when you had to convinve a lot of people to get tour work done.
      15. Example of a situation where you had to struggle to achieve success?
      16. Why risk management?
      17. What are your short teram and long term goals?

Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (London, England (UK)).

Interview

the interview consisted of 3 parts: scheduler assignment, java and sql questions, interview with a vp to check my motivation and why I want to work in Goldman Sachs. I had to go to their office and have the interview.

Interview Questions

• what java patterns you know? Explain the decorator and factory design patterns.   Answer Question