Goldman Sachs Analyst Interview Questions

3.4

90 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in July 2009.

The online application was really long, and the word limit on the cover letter made it really challenging. I was told that there was only going to be a behavioral interview but they gave me a case study during the first round interview, which caught me by surprise.

Interview Questions
  • Business case- how to solve some technical computer problem   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Goldman Sachs

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in October 2009.

I was interviewed by two people together for 30 minutes. They were really nice and I felt that they were interested to getting to know the junior people they brought in for interviews. Most of the questions were behavioral, and a large portion was about my personaility and teamwork spirits. I am a foreign student, and they specifically asked me about my experience in adapting to the American culture. They were also very open and honest to the questions I asked.

Interview Questions
    • What is the most interesting business idea you've ever read/heard about?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in June 2009.

Pretty tough interview. They had us actually do calculations on site. It was sort of a group interview and there were multiple interviewers. Eventually they split us into groups and then individuals. The test was hard because I hadn't done those types of calculations and graphs since my sophomore year in college.

Interview Questions
    • Please calculate the present value of this 10 year bond.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in October 2008.

Had one interview with one young analyst and one experienced analyst. Asked "why are you interested in our company and what can you bring?" types of questions. Seemed to be looking for people that didn't stand out and didn't have too much of a unique personality, judging by my friends' rejections as well.

Interview Questions
    • Why are you right for this job instead of the other people we have interviewed?   View Answer

Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in November 2009.

I had superday which consist of 4 interviews seperated in two days. I got severe cold on the first day but launched the job with the group I interviewed on that day. The next day I feel better and they did not pick me. Or probably they picked me but only one group can have me. Very basic questions, go through me resume, y gs, y our division...

Analyst Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in February 2008.

interviewer was very helpful
    lots of general questions about the state of the market and what equities I would reccomend right now. Competency based questions about how i improved a situation. Had an IQ test about 60 questions, was a little hard to complete on time.

Interview Questions
    • how have you improved a process in your current job   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in September 2009.

Flied to Sydney for a 1:1 job interview. position based in NY United States. The interviewer basically focused on the points I wrote in my CV and particularly interested in any activities related to finance and business. I did a lot of research on GS the week before and occasionally raised questions regarding GS's workforce diversification and women in GS. And the interviewer was impressed. Also remember to keep talking about the latest news you find out about the company and ask questions if you got anything interesting.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me more about the M&A competition you participated and what was the synergy you found out about the two companies.   Answer Question

Changed my mind not to work in IB and got a better offer which locates closer to my family.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in April 2010.

6 rounds of interview with different people. Same question asked multiple times. Only one person was punctual. Going thru the goldman sachs video on their website was helpful in interview preparation. Mostly the questions were HR in nature. Asked some interesting questions on SQL, UNIX, Equities and derivatives as well.

Interview Questions
    • Could you pls. walk me through your CV?   View Answers (2)
    • Why do you want to Join Goldman Sachs?   View Answer
    • Tell me about a situation when you had a conflict with a co-worker and how did you handle it?   View Answer
    • What do you know about the position?   View Answer
    • Who all have interviewed you till date?   View Answer

Analyst Interview

The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in July 2008.

You meet with a variety of managers ranging from senior analysts and assistant vice presidents all the way up to to the managing director(s) of your team/section. Some interviews are informative (about the role your applying for) and some are more inquisitive and testing. The process can be intimidating for some, but if you have the right personality and can show a can do attitude coupled with a willingness to learn and evolve with changing tasks, you would make a pretty solid impression.

Interview Questions
    • If you were shrunk to the size of a pencil and put in a blender, how would you get out?   View Answers (46)

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

The process took a dayinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in June 2010.

Was approached by a Head Hunter saying there was an Analyst position with Goldman Sachs. A meeting was set up for one week later.

Interview comprised of 3 x 30 minute interviews with 2 analysts and 1 associate, one after the other. Was fairly informal, mainly discussing my career history, achievements, motivations and ambitions. Did not have any technical or competency questions.

Found the attitude of the interviewers very peculiar; I was told there were little to no progression opportunities from the role and two of the interviewers were trying to convince me I was overqualified and my explanation for why it wasn't constantly fell on deaf ears.

After the dust had settled, the feedback from the interview was that I had "no hunger" for the role. I guess saying the phrases "I'd be really excited to take up this role" and "I'm excited about the learning opportunities this role would provide" at least two or three times to each interviewer didn't count.

My experience from the interview was very negative. Not only did I not get a call back, but the feedback I received was completely fictional, so I can't even look for any areas to improve. If I didn't have another job offer already in the bag I would be very disappointed.