Goldman Sachs Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Jun 30, 2015

3.4

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in October 2010.

Interview

I received a phone call meant to determine my knowledge about the company. They asked me questions about the company, my previous knowledge, point of views, etc. I was later called in for a one on one interview. The lady was very nice. She asked me about my interests but warned that the interview was not the only factor to determine an offer. We talked about schooling, interactions with people in general and personality questions. She later asked a question about how I would escape from a blender if I was the size of a pencil, and the number of ping pong ball that would fit in her office. I was a bit dumbstruck but I answered to my best.

Interview Questions

• How many ping pong balls fit in this room?   1 Answer
  • If you were the size of a pencil, how would you escape from a blender.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Goldman Sachs

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (London, England (UK)) in March 2010.

Interview

- online application and results 2 months later. Traditional cv sections to fill out and additional open ended questions such as:
    When did you last work in a group where you had to work hard to try and influence others? Describe the situation and the challenges you encountered.
    Please describe the most recent crisis you’ve faced in an important project and how you overcame this.
    Please describe a recent example of when you took the initiative to do something that needed to
    be done, even though it wasn’t your area of responsibility.
     - 1 day interview consisting of numerical and verbal reasoning tests and interviewed by two staff members; competency based and questions to do with my course.
    The company was very responsive throughout the whole process. Good feedback given after assessment.

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in February 2011.

Interview

one interview on campus, and one super day interview.

Very basic for the fit questions (introduce yourself, why are you interested in the position you are applying, what kind of work do you expect, ...)

A lot of technical and mathematical questions: Probability, Options related questions (futures, forwards), basic programming questions

People are very encouraging and give hints along the way to solve problems

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2012.

Interview

Basics of finance asked with an emphasis on derivatives and fixed income concepts.

Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2011.

Interview

Very arrogant interviewer who was out there to undermine people in every interview.

Interview Questions

• Do an LBO - lets say for a big oil refinery. You do finance right?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (Bangalore (India)) in June 2010.

Interview

I was interviewed for Sybase position. They had 3 telephonic interviews followed by 6 1:1 interviews on site.

Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in July 2008.

Interview

its a very detailed process and comprehensive. it challenges the way you think and you meet at least 4 to 5 interviewers who are looking for different things in you. it is a great experience and my advice would be to be be yourself and enjoy the entire process.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (Bangalore (India)) in January 2009.

Interview

The interview process was very well structured and organised. The focus is more on attitude, capability and interpersonal skills. They do not spend much time in asking technical questions unless the interviewee pushes the conversation in that direction.

Negotiation

Impossible, what they offer is final

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in August 2008.

Interview

The selection process comprised of numerous rounds beginning with a written test which tested logical reasoning, attention to detail and English proficiency skills. If the candidate passed this step, the next stage was the HR interview followed by an interview with a manager from one of the teams within the firm and lastly a final interview with a senior VP. At each stage there was elimination and only the selected candidates who got through all rounds made it to the final round and then ultimately got selected for the job.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to take up a job with Goldman Sachs? What do you think you will achieve through this job?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Candidates need to be flexible with the shift timings and also need to have a good understanding of the company and the markets. Preparing a set of good questions to ask the interviewer will surely take you a long way.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (Bangalore (India)) in August 2011.

Interview

Technical questions medium to high level.
    They ask for your willingness to learn and adapt. experience new cultures.
    Need good(excellent) communication skills. You can't do your job anyways if your communication skills are poor

Interview Questions

• Why Goldman Sachs? Why not Google, Microsoft or Oracle?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was a campus hire. Not much of negotiation there. But the offer was pretty good as is.