Goldman Sachs

Updated Dec 2, 2014

3.4

99 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in October 2008.

Had one interview with one young analyst and one experienced analyst. Asked "why are you interested in our company and what can you bring?" types of questions. Seemed to be looking for people that didn't stand out and didn't have too much of a unique personality, judging by my friends' rejections as well.

Interview Questions
  • Why are you right for this job instead of the other people we have interviewed?   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Goldman Sachs

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in September 2009.

Flied to Sydney for a 1:1 job interview. position based in NY United States. The interviewer basically focused on the points I wrote in my CV and particularly interested in any activities related to finance and business. I did a lot of research on GS the week before and occasionally raised questions regarding GS's workforce diversification and women in GS. And the interviewer was impressed. Also remember to keep talking about the latest news you find out about the company and ask questions if you got anything interesting.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me more about the M&A competition you participated and what was the synergy you found out about the two companies.   Answer Question

Changed my mind not to work in IB and got a better offer which locates closer to my family.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2010.

My interview did not begin on time and it was rushed, not giving me an opportunity to market myself and respond well. It seemed as though the interviewers had the person they wanted already. I will advise any other candidates to make sure they are allotted sufficient time for their interviews. Overall, I did not lose my respect for the company, just those who interviewed me. If an opportunity arises, I will reapply.

Interview Questions
    • What do you attribute the economic downturn to and how would you go about fixing it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in April 2013.

Had 10+ interviews - attended in person interviews on one day and several telephonic rounds

Interview Questions
    • Interviews were resume based, with emphasis on questions about fit   Answer Question
    None - offer was as expected

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

The process took a dayinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in June 2010.

Was approached by a Head Hunter saying there was an Analyst position with Goldman Sachs. A meeting was set up for one week later.

Interview comprised of 3 x 30 minute interviews with 2 analysts and 1 associate, one after the other. Was fairly informal, mainly discussing my career history, achievements, motivations and ambitions. Did not have any technical or competency questions.

Found the attitude of the interviewers very peculiar; I was told there were little to no progression opportunities from the role and two of the interviewers were trying to convince me I was overqualified and my explanation for why it wasn't constantly fell on deaf ears.

After the dust had settled, the feedback from the interview was that I had "no hunger" for the role. I guess saying the phrases "I'd be really excited to take up this role" and "I'm excited about the learning opportunities this role would provide" at least two or three times to each interviewer didn't count.

My experience from the interview was very negative. Not only did I not get a call back, but the feedback I received was completely fictional, so I can't even look for any areas to improve. If I didn't have another job offer already in the bag I would be very disappointed.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in February 2009.

I was hired through campus, and there 5 rounds of interview. First was general and then it became more technical about the job. The last interview was on-site at the office and it was more specific to the role.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in December 2009.

First a HR interview on phone. Then 2 F2F technical interviews. And finally another technical/personal interview by onshore manager from London, who was visiting the India office. All cleared & got an offer within couple of weeks. Package seemed reasonable, so accepted it. Whole process was over in less than 2 months.

Interview Questions
    • Find a 10 digit number such that each digit represents the number of times the position of the digit in the number, starting from 0 upto 9, appears in the number.   View Answers (3)
    I wanted compensation for stock options too, so was given some stock in compensating what I was losing at my previous company, although with lesser stock than I had.
    Their offer was final & didn't seem open for any negotiations, take it or leave it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in April 2010.

6 rounds of interview with different people. Same question asked multiple times. Only one person was punctual. Going thru the goldman sachs video on their website was helpful in interview preparation. Mostly the questions were HR in nature. Asked some interesting questions on SQL, UNIX, Equities and derivatives as well.

Interview Questions
    • Could you pls. walk me through your CV?   View Answers (2)
    • Why do you want to Join Goldman Sachs?   View Answer
    • Tell me about a situation when you had a conflict with a co-worker and how did you handle it?   View Answer
    • What do you know about the position?   View Answer
    • Who all have interviewed you till date?   View Answer

Analyst Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in September 2010.

Got the call form the company enquring my interest and then called for the interview.

Analyst Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in September 2010.

It was on-campus interview. There were 2 interviewer, one was a vice president of this department and another one was a newly jointed. They basically went through my resume and asked the details of ur past project/internship experience.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time when you worked in a team and met some challenge, but finally worked out.   Answer Question