Goldman Sachs Associate Interview Questions

Updated Jun 24, 2014

3.6

30 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Associate Interview

The interview process was long and very uncomfortable. It seems like you have to speak with 10 people before any decission can be made. Interview questions seemed to be generic and really didn't give a chance for me to talk about my experience.

Other Interview Reviews for Goldman Sachs

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Jersey City, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in April 2014.

Applied online, received an email from a recruiter a few days later, indicated my interest, attended a Superday (3, 30 min interviews with 2 interviewers each), and received an offer 2 weeks later.

The entire process, including background check, takes a long time (~ 2 months) but patience is a virtue...

Interview Questions
    Not too much room for negotiation but the offer was fair.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 8 weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Contacted by third party recruiter, went through 3 phone interviews, onsite interview met with 10 people (7 technical and 3 HR, 2 out of 10 are managing director).

Interview Questions

Very low base pay, big bonus, but bonus is something unknown. Joined another firm with higher base and better work/life balance.

Associate Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

There were a number of telephone interviews from different locations, Hong Kong, London, New York and Bangalore before being called for a one on one interview, The entire process took about 3 months before final offer was made

Interview Questions
    • why join a Financial services firm at such an uncertain time in the industry with so many moving parts?   Answer Question
    Review the offer and compare with industry standards and your own qualification before negotiating up for salary

Associate Interview

Invited to super day event with 20+ other people. Was treated with respect by everyone. Had several interviews with separate teams that were hiring. Some interviews were completely non-technical and some asked programming questions. A week later I was invited back to an all-day interview with about a dozen people.

Associate Interview

The Goldman Sachs process is extremely long. I had multiple interviews, beginning with a phone interview with a recruiter, followed up with another interview by the actual hiring manager along with multiple individuals in the team. Finally, after the phone interview, I got an in person interview. I just wish that they would have told me sooner rather or not I got the job.

Interview Questions
    • Please tell us about what you would do in this scenario.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Very long process. Takes a while to get through all rounds.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in February 2012.

very very very hard and not that interesting of a process. Didnt actually want to work there by the end of the interview process. Would have rather ripped my throat out than work for the guys that were interviewing me. Overall i would say apply somewhere else. Just not worth it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

The process took a day - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in December 2011.

Recieved a phone call from an experienced recruiter who asked questions regarding my past experience. After a back and forth he informed me I was best suited for a leadership or managment position that they currently do not have an opening.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in February 2011.

This was for their private wealth management division:
    Did two phone interviews on two separate occasions with more recent hires (both at associate level) with similar formats, but clearly different styles based on the personality of the interviewer.

First interviewer - Around 50% background questions and 50% brainteaser types. Did reasonably well, but got hung up on the last brainteaser that I had to be guided through. Generally friendly and answered lots of my questions about the position/department. Good enough to get me to the second round...

Second interviewer - Starts by asking about some points about my educational background and asks for elaboration. I've been asked about it in many past interviews, so talked through it quite smoothly, but he clearly didn't understand the subject at all (Monte Carlo acceleration techniques). He promptly switches the topic and start throwing math brainteasers at me one after another until I start tripping up a bit and he says "come on, time's ticking", instead of offering any hints to move the process along. Afterwards, he just says the "we'll be in touch" and hangs up. One of the rudest interviewers I've ever spoken with.

Interview Questions
    • Given N noodles in a bowl and randomly attaching ends. What is the expected number of loops you will have in the end?   View Answers (3)

Worked for Goldman Sachs? Contribute to the Community!