Goldman Sachs

Updated Oct 8, 2014

3.6

31 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Associate Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in June 2009.

Tough Interview Process. Met with several different people within the department in which I would be working. Overall, the individual interviews consisted of various personality based questions. Some interviewers were tougher than others. Some asked about current events, while others just focused on my resume. I asked a lot of questions about business, growth, the position, etc.

Other Interview Reviews for Goldman Sachs

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in February 2011.

This was for their private wealth management division:
    Did two phone interviews on two separate occasions with more recent hires (both at associate level) with similar formats, but clearly different styles based on the personality of the interviewer.

First interviewer - Around 50% background questions and 50% brainteaser types. Did reasonably well, but got hung up on the last brainteaser that I had to be guided through. Generally friendly and answered lots of my questions about the position/department. Good enough to get me to the second round...

Second interviewer - Starts by asking about some points about my educational background and asks for elaboration. I've been asked about it in many past interviews, so talked through it quite smoothly, but he clearly didn't understand the subject at all (Monte Carlo acceleration techniques). He promptly switches the topic and start throwing math brainteasers at me one after another until I start tripping up a bit and he says "come on, time's ticking", instead of offering any hints to move the process along. Afterwards, he just says the "we'll be in touch" and hangs up. One of the rudest interviewers I've ever spoken with.

Interview Questions
    • Given N noodles in a bowl and randomly attaching ends. What is the expected number of loops you will have in the end?   View Answers (3)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in July 2013.

The initial phase consists of a phone call from the HR Dept (referred to as HCIM). Went back and forth several times with availability in order to schedule interviews. Met with 8 different individuals, each having his/her own interviewing style. Ask questions - they frown upon not asking any.

Went smoothly with HCIM.

Associate Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

There were a number of telephone interviews from different locations, Hong Kong, London, New York and Bangalore before being called for a one on one interview, The entire process took about 3 months before final offer was made

Interview Questions
    • why join a Financial services firm at such an uncertain time in the industry with so many moving parts?   Answer Question
    Review the offer and compare with industry standards and your own qualification before negotiating up for salary

Associate Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Underwent 6 rounds for this position which contained written test, group discussion, different interviews with different personnel.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Contacted by third party recruiter, went through 3 phone interviews, onsite interview met with 10 people (7 technical and 3 HR, 2 out of 10 are managing director).

Interview Questions

Very low base pay, big bonus, but bonus is something unknown. Joined another firm with higher base and better work/life balance.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in April 2009.

Pretty intensive interview process - up to five per day over a period of time. Interview process structured around geting the only the best candidate through the various stages. You come away from the interview realising you'll be joining a professional organisation expecting the best from you.

Easy, GS will almost always try and be fair.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in February 2012.

very very very hard and not that interesting of a process. Didnt actually want to work there by the end of the interview process. Would have rather ripped my throat out than work for the guys that were interviewing me. Overall i would say apply somewhere else. Just not worth it.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in June 2012.

Many rounds with different people at different levels. Lot of behavioral questions. Overall I would rate it as good though I still don't know whether I am in or out as I haven't got any response yet.
    I was surprised that they did not ask any finance related questions and was mostly concentrating on your day to day work experience and how you handle things at work.

Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Very long process. Takes a while to get through all rounds.