Goldman Sachs

Goldman Sachs Controller Interview Questions

3.1

9 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online – interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

First round is a phone interview. Interviewed with an employee from controller team. Basic questions, such as walk me through resume, five year career goal, why do you want to work for goldman sachs, why salt city

Other Interview Reviews for Goldman Sachs

Controller Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

-applied through diversity symposium
    -was accepted into the symposium, got a call to gauge level of interest
    -flown to offices, had 2 interviews for three different divisions
    -heard back less than a week later

Interview Questions
    • -What does GS do?
      -Tell me about a concept in finance? economics?
        Answer Question
    None

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

I was contacted by internal recruiting for a job as a controller in three different divisions within GS.

There was a 15 minute phone interview before any actual interview scheduled. It was very enjoyable and the interviewer was very welcoming. This phone interview consists of behavioral questions. You should expect high level questions like why do you want to switch careers, and why the job posting interested you.

I had ~20 interviews in total for the three different divisions. In general, it's reasonable to expect at least 6-7 interviews per division. The interviewers range from associates to VPs and MDs. The questions they ask depend on the division you're interviewing for, the rank of the interviewer, and your job duties. Behavioral questions are expected and there are some technical questions. It wouldn't be unreasonable to expect a couple of brain teasers but this really depends on the position you're interviewing for. For controllers, you should expect to know how to DCF things, calculate P&L, basic valuation modelling, and everything you learned in your finance classes at school.

You're called for a second round of interviews if you're selected. The process is similar and there may be more technical questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in February 2013.

I got the interview by applying through a job posting on school website. This is a back middle office position. They flew me over to salt lake city for first and only interview round, everything was paid with 30$ daily allowance or something like that. Make sure you show interest in the specific job and location.

Controller Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Goldman Sachs in February 2013.

Goldman came to my school to recruit for summer controller interns. I got the first round interviews but did not pass into the second round. One of the reasons was because I was a sophomore. The interviewers came to campus a day before and held a networking session with us before the interviewed us. During the interview, they asked all the basic interview questions. Just be prepared and you'll do well

Interview Questions
    • What is your favorite and least favorite class in college?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in November 2012.

The last interview, I thought it would be more finance and technical question, but they still stick on to behavior questions. Two groups interviewer, the first one is quite tough, and they did not smile, like poker face. The second group interviewer is much better. But they throw questions to you

Interview Questions
    • Talking about what happens in China. And what the Chinese government plan.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in May 2010.

Went into New York office on day one. Had about a thirty minute interview with a recruiter who seemed very disorganized and didn't have my resume or know my name. Very friendly person, but just too disorganized. She obviously had set questions that I am sure GS has trained into her, then was told I would get a phone interview with a controller. He was more organized and asked very tough questions. The interview lasted about an hour. He knew more about me and was more informative on the prospective job.

Controller Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in February 2011.

Started by attending an information secession on campus. At the end of the information secession the attendees were allowed to ask the former interns that were present questions. The interview consisted of 2 30 minute interviews. The first interview I spoke with 2 current analysts that had been through the same intern program. They asked questions such as "Why Goldman?" and "What makes you the best candidate?". The second interview was with the division manager. The second interview was more laid back and gave me the opportunity to ask more questions regarding the position.

Controller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2011.

interview consisted of 2 phone calls of 30 min each with 4 people in total. Interviewers were friendly enough; no strange questions asked. The usual "why Goldman?". In fairness I was a bit disappointed by the level of their questions.... it was a pretty standard interview....

Interview Questions
    • How would you convince a client that their request cannot be met?   Answer Question