Goldman Sachs

Getting the Interview

9 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online and interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview Details – First round is a phone interview. Interviewed with an employee from controller team. Basic questions, such as walk me through resume, five year career goal, why do you want to work for goldman sachs, why salt city

Interview Question – All basic questions   Answer Question

Controller

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview Details – -applied through diversity symposium
-was accepted into the symposium, got a call to gauge level of interest
-flown to offices, had 2 interviews for three different divisions
-heard back less than a week later

Interview Question – -What does GS do?
-Tell me about a concept in finance? economics?
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None

Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in February 2013.

Interview Details – I got the interview by applying through a job posting on school website. This is a back middle office position. They flew me over to salt lake city for first and only interview round, everything was paid with 30$ daily allowance or something like that. Make sure you show interest in the specific job and location.

Interview Question – All behavioral   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview Details – I was contacted by internal recruiting for a job as a controller in three different divisions within GS.

There was a 15 minute phone interview before any actual interview scheduled. It was very enjoyable and the interviewer was very welcoming. This phone interview consists of behavioral questions. You should expect high level questions like why do you want to switch careers, and why the job posting interested you.

I had ~20 interviews in total for the three different divisions. In general, it's reasonable to expect at least 6-7 interviews per division. The interviewers range from associates to VPs and MDs. The questions they ask depend on the division you're interviewing for, the rank of the interviewer, and your job duties. Behavioral questions are expected and there are some technical questions. It wouldn't be unreasonable to expect a couple of brain teasers but this really depends on the position you're interviewing for. For controllers, you should expect to know how to DCF things, calculate P&L, basic valuation modelling, and everything you learned in your finance classes at school.

You're called for a second round of interviews if you're selected. The process is similar and there may be more technical questions.

Interview Question – How would you value a [specific] business?   Answer Question

Controller

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in February 2013.

Interview Details – Goldman came to my school to recruit for summer controller interns. I got the first round interviews but did not pass into the second round. One of the reasons was because I was a sophomore. The interviewers came to campus a day before and held a networking session with us before the interviewed us. During the interview, they asked all the basic interview questions. Just be prepared and you'll do well

Interview Question – What is your favorite and least favorite class in college?   Answer Question

Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in November 2012.

Interview Details – The last interview, I thought it would be more finance and technical question, but they still stick on to behavior questions. Two groups interviewer, the first one is quite tough, and they did not smile, like poker face. The second group interviewer is much better. But they throw questions to you

Interview Question – Talking about what happens in China. And what the Chinese government plan.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in May 2010.

Interview Details – Went into New York office on day one. Had about a thirty minute interview with a recruiter who seemed very disorganized and didn't have my resume or know my name. Very friendly person, but just too disorganized. She obviously had set questions that I am sure GS has trained into her, then was told I would get a phone interview with a controller. He was more organized and asked very tough questions. The interview lasted about an hour. He knew more about me and was more informative on the prospective job.

Interview Question – Who was the person most influential to you   Answer Question

Controller Interview

The process took a day - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in February 2011.

Interview Details – Started by attending an information secession on campus. At the end of the information secession the attendees were allowed to ask the former interns that were present questions. The interview consisted of 2 30 minute interviews. The first interview I spoke with 2 current analysts that had been through the same intern program. They asked questions such as "Why Goldman?" and "What makes you the best candidate?". The second interview was with the division manager. The second interview was more laid back and gave me the opportunity to ask more questions regarding the position.

Interview Question – What makes you the best candidate?   Answer Question

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2011.

Interview Details – interview consisted of 2 phone calls of 30 min each with 4 people in total. Interviewers were friendly enough; no strange questions asked. The usual "why Goldman?". In fairness I was a bit disappointed by the level of their questions.... it was a pretty standard interview....

Interview Question – How would you convince a client that their request cannot be met?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Goldman Sachs

Worked for Goldman Sachs? Contribute to the Community!

Goldman Sachs Videos

Goldman Sachs – Why Work for Us?

We bring together people, capital and ideas to produce solutions and results for our clients by playing a number of roles: financial advisor, lender, investor and asset manager. A commitment to integrity, team work and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Goldman Sachs Controller interview questions and advice. All 9 interview reviews posted anonymously by Goldman Sachs employees and interview candidates.