Goldman Sachs

3 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Equity Research Analyst
Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview Details – Interviewed on campus for entry level analyst position. Went through first round interview for Salt Lake position with the MD who was brought in to build the department there. He likes to test simple mental math (went through a sandwich shop "valuation") such as division and multiplication by percentages, as well as looking for my qualitative reasoning as to how I would value the company. Overall a good experience.

Interview Question – A few basic accounting questions, valuation, prepare for simple mental math   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Salt Lake City unit has some interesting hours due to time zone differences. Have to be in the office when the unit in NYC arrives and stay later than when unit in NYC leaves.

Bangalore (India)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview Details – I was initially contacted by the HR who set up a phone interview with one of the employees. I had two more rounds of interview on the phone. I was then called for in-person interviews and subsequently interviewed with 5 different employees from various investment research teams. Pretty straight forward. I then had two more rounds of interview on the phone.

HR contacted me after 4 weeks and said they had selected someone else but the feedback from interviews was extremely positive and they wanted to interview me for another position. I gave two more interviews. HR contacted me again after 4 weeks and asked if I wanted to interview for another position as they had taken someone else for the second position too.

At this point (about 3 and a 1/2 months from first contact), I told them I cannot keep interviewing for one position after the other. HR said this would be the last one one way or the other. The employees who interviewed me on the phone for the third profile were completely different from the previous ones. They were extremely hostile, rude and kept cutting me off in the middle of my answers. They also took every opportunity to remind me that the company is a cut above the rest and none but the best get in. Honestly speaking, they were way too arrogant. I got an email two days later telling me that I have not been selected.

Interview Question – Barring the last interview with the two rude employees, it was mostly fit based questions.

1. List your 3 biggest strengths and weaknesses.
2. Why this profile?
3. Walk me through your resume.
4. Pitch a stock.

Be extremely well prepared for the 4th one. The last two interviewers asked me this and they expected me to pitch it like an experienced candidate although they knew I was an entry level candidate. My suggestion is to talk to someone who has been in Equity Research for a while and ask him/her the right way to pitch a stock.
  Answer Question

Equity Research Analyst
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in March 2012.

Interview Details – 30 min interview with 2 GS employees. Good cop bad cop format. Good cop asked classic questions regarding motivation, past experience and CV. Bad cop began by asking about particular interests in finance and economics, how political events impacted financial markets, stock pitches, predictions regarding commodities and the root causes of the debt crisis.

Interview Questions

Interviews for Top Jobs at Goldman Sachs

Worked for Goldman Sachs? Contribute to the Community!

Goldman Sachs Videos

Goldman Sachs – Why Work for Us?

We bring together people, capital and ideas to produce solutions and results for our clients by playing a number of roles: financial advisor, lender, investor and asset manager. A commitment to integrity, team work and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Goldman Sachs Equity Research Analyst interview questions and advice. All 3 interview reviews posted anonymously by Goldman Sachs employees and interview candidates.