Goldman Sachs

Average Difficulty
45 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview Details – I had my first interview on campus because I attend a target school. The interview was between me and two CFA's working in the Philadelphia office. Because I am not a business major and was only a sophomore the interview was mostly behavioral. They asked a few questions about my knowledge of the markets, but it was basically just what a few indices had finished at the previous week. The most important questions were why I wanted to work in finance and more specifically why I wanted to work in Private Wealth Management. They also asked what I thought Goldman looks for in an intern. There were also a few questions about whether or not I thought I could handle the rigors of the internship, and they asked how long I thought they worked each day.

Interview Question – Probably why finance if not prepared with a sound answer.   Answer Question

Intern

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview Details – I spoke with a Goldman Software Engineer at a career fair. Called me the next day for an interview. Took a small technical test and a few behavioral questions. Took about an hour

Interview Question – Clustered vs non clustered databases. Run time questions   Answer Question

Interviewed at Goldman Sachs

Interview Details – There was an on-campus interview where it was behavioral for 10 minutes and then technical questions about coding for the next 40 minutes. After passing that, I was then flown out to the NYC headquarters for .5 hr of technical coding, .5 hr of mathematical and thinking questions, and .5 hr of behavioral.

Interview Question – How would you find a 5-digit number, when multiplied by 4, will give you the palindrome of it?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Non-negotiable but easy.

Intern

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview Details – I submitted an online application for a summer internship position in IBD. I had three one on one first round interviews at the New York offices. I heard back within about 2 weeks by email.

Interview Question – How do you keep up with the financial markets?   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview Details – I received an email inviting me to interview with the Litigation department in New York about a week before the date. I flew out, and met directly with executives in the department, no HR people involved. There were two interviews with three people in each. It was strictly behavioral and resume-based.

Interview Question – The interviewers started out talking a lot about their positions and responsibilities. The questions themselves were pretty basic, about my strengths. The interviewers also asked me to go into detail about facts on my resume.   Answer Question

Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in February 2013.

Interview Details – Went through an interview on campus, was having a pretty terrible day and the interviewer could tell. We eventually connected on a personal level and he put me through for the "super day" interviews. Number one thing about the interview on campus was why Goldman and what makes you stand out. At super day I only had two 1:1 interviews with private wealth management department. Those interviews were fun and both interviewers were very friendly and asked some technical questions (way to long to type out) but they will find your niche and challenge you on it. They also will ask you about a programming project you've worked on, and make sure you know it in an out, they will quiz you on it. Went there on Friday, took them until Monday afternoon to call me back.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, pay was well over what I expected.

Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in November 2012.

Interview Details – Had 2 info sessions and Three different interviews. Info sessions were very well structured and prepared. The first Two interviews were with 2 individuals asking you questions and the final interview was with a single individual. Very Basic Questions in the first two but the final interview was more intrusive. He would ask a question and ask a follow up question to get more detail about your response, followed by another question to get more details about the details ha ha. A lot of fun. I could imagine what it would be like for someone who lied, they would look like an idiot.

Interview Question – What questions do you have for us? They will put you on the spot!   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Better opportunity elsewhere

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in November 2011.

Interview Details – After submitting the online application, I promptly heard back from the firm that I had an interview in New York the next week. After some confusion in booking my flight, I finally arrived in the city. After the first round of one interview in the morning, I did my second round of six interviews in the afternoon (although only four of the interviews were initially on the schedule).

Interview Question – (After pitching a stock) Who is the Goldman Sachs analyst working on the stock?   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2012.

Interview Details – Good interview experience, interviewers were interested in discussion, process of solving, and general problem solving skills.
1:1 interviews, mostly programming questions and brain teasers.

Interview Question – Why can a class not extend 2 super classes in java?
Find the shortest path from one corner to another corner of a cube.
How would you determine if a linked list is cyclical?
Given 3 strings which burn for lengths 5, 10 and 30 minutes, how can you measure exactly 15 minutes with 1 string?
Contrast abstract class to an interface.
Write an algorithm to display the first 100 fibonnacci numbers
  View Answer

New York, NY

I interviewed at Goldman Sachs in February 2012.

Interview Details – Had one on campus interview after a career fair. Fairly technical, but they asked some behavioral questions as well, seeing as how it's a very social place. After the first interview passed, I was flown out for an intern super day of interviewing. Again, it was about the same technical level, but they really wanted to see where you would be a good fit within the company.

Interview Question – The most difficult technical question was most likely about some scalable client server architecture and how you would go about designing one for a specific business need.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Goldman Sachs

Worked for Goldman Sachs? Contribute to the Community!

Goldman Sachs Videos

Goldman Sachs – Why Work for Us?

We bring together people, capital and ideas to produce solutions and results for our clients by playing a number of roles: financial advisor, lender, investor and asset manager. A commitment to integrity, team work and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Goldman Sachs Intern interview questions and advice. All 45 interview reviews posted anonymously by Goldman Sachs employees and interview candidates.