Goldman Sachs Intern Interview Questions

Updated Aug 9, 2014

3.4

48 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in March 2010.

Goldman Sachs was at the career fair, I gave them my resume and then they called me to interview for a FT position in SLC. I declined because I am a FT student. They sent an email 2 hours later for an on-campus interview for a summer internship. That week I had a 1:1 interview with a recruiter from NY that lasted 30 minutes. It was behavioral. The next week they sent an email to go to SLC. They flew me there on a Monday, gave me a hotel and I had 9 1:1 interviews all day Tuesday. I came home Tuesday night and they called me with the offer for an internship in NYC Wed morning. (Computer Science)

Interview Questions
  • where can you find the configuration files of Tomcat? what is Jeti?   View Answers (2)
  • How do you approach problems? what is your problem solving strategy?   Answer Question
NA

Other Interview Reviews for Goldman Sachs

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2011.

traditional behaviour questions for the first round phone interviews, resume questions, one brainteaser, how to price a stock like GS.

Interview Questions
    • how to structure a product in the current economy status   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in November 2010.

GS has a high speed and intense interview process, which matches about everything else they do there. They called me to invite me to a Superday with two days notice. They called me back within 48 hours to offer a position. Overall, people are enthusiastic about getting to know you and seeing if you are a good fit for the company.

Interview Questions

I already had a summer experience there and wanted to try something else.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Beijing, Beijing (China)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beijing, Beijing (China)

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2012.

2 phone interview for the first round;
    3 1:1 interview on superday.
    They held superday in both Beijing and New York. In New York, the candidates are mostly undergrads. In Beijing, candidates from local area are all graduate students, and international candidates are undergrads. Seemed like they hire 8/60 last year, and since this year's economics environment is so bad, I guess they recruit even fewer.
    Superday interview is quite technical.

Interview Questions
    • How to calculate EBITDA? Need to write down the formula   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bangalore (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in August 2012.

5 rounds were there: 1 written test, then Group discussion & then 3 interview rounds, out of which 2 were 90% technical while the 3rd was 50% tech & 50% hr.

Interview Questions
    • We have to weigh a helicopter without using any measuring instrument. We have access to infinite no of physical weights!   View Answers (2)

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

This was a basic first round interview. The interviewer was extremely late in making the phone call, and hurried through a couple of questions about income statements and balance sheets. Also asked me about some recent financial news that I think is important and/or relevant to todays economic climate. Overall, the interviewer did not seem very friendly.

Interview Questions
    • Walk me through the valuation of a company.   View Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Coimbatore (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coimbatore (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

The first round was written test followed by Group Discussion. Around twenty five odd people were split into two groups and were given a topic to debate on. My topic was ' Do you think IIT required a separate entrance exam? Can't it be a part of the AIEEE entrances ? '. It had a good start with people discussing on the standard of the syllabus and education. Around five were eliminated and the interviews followed.

First round (one -one) was a technical round, wherein I was tested on the Could Computing project I had worked on, the team that I had worked with, its application using databases etc, concepts in OOPS with examples etc.

What is a cloud ?
         Difference between shallow and deep copy constructor.
         Primary concepts of OOPS.
         Explain abstraction and encapsulation with example.
         Explain inheritance with a simple example.
         Diamond Problem. (inheritance)
         Virtual destructors. Are they of any help ?
         Which data structure (Database here) is suitable to store content that is used from (stored in) the cloud , to be available offline?
         SQL query to find the first mail user who's task is due next .
         (HINT: db contains userid, task, due date ; find the top most record)

Second round (two people) was more like my favorite round as they asked me questions on my area of interest- Graphic Design. They started off asking about myself, my extra curriculars and arrived at why I liked designing, its importance, criteria for a good design etc.

Why do you like design?
         How did you end up realizing you liked to design ?
         Criteria for a good design ? (my point of view)
         Importance of a good design interface ?
         Differentiate the type of designs you'd come up with, for a children's website and a website describing details about pension.

Third round was the most challenging round as he kicked off with questions about my previous internship, followed by puzzles. The highlight of this round was he asked me solve one of the quantitative aptitude questions from the written test earlier. (People who randomly hit it off simply cannot escape). He also expected a reason for my solution and where I had gone wrong during the test.

Questions:
         Describe earlier the industrial experience.
         3 baskets; one containing apples, one containing oranges, last one containing a mix of both. If allowed to pick only one fruit and given that none of the fruits are in their correspondingly labeled baskets, identify, which basket has what ?
         Solve a quants problem from the written test . (AGE PROBLEM)
              -> Why use the method ?
              -> if used shortcuts, why so ?
              -> Which is more effective- shortcuts or solving the problem from the scratch.

Final round was more of a summary of the first three rounds. Again a one-one interview I was tested on SQL queries, linked list applications, C concepts and my previous mini projects done in college.

Loop in a linked list.
         What is a cloud?
         SQL query to find the number of employees from a particular department (JOINS/NESTED QUERIES)

Overall, it was a challenging session. At the end of the day, from a bunch of eight people four were selected for internship cum placement at the company. A great experience overall.

Interview Questions
    • HR based questions like what kind of role I expected in the company, with passion for design, how will I fit in to the company if offered a job etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2012.

Good interview experience, interviewers were interested in discussion, process of solving, and general problem solving skills.
    1:1 interviews, mostly programming questions and brain teasers.

Interview Questions
    • Why can a class not extend 2 super classes in java?
      Find the shortest path from one corner to another corner of a cube.
      How would you determine if a linked list is cyclical?
      Given 3 strings which burn for lengths 5, 10 and 30 minutes, how can you measure exactly 15 minutes with 1 string?
      Contrast abstract class to an interface.
      Write an algorithm to display the first 100 fibonnacci numbers
        View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in November 2011.

After submitting the online application, I promptly heard back from the firm that I had an interview in New York the next week. After some confusion in booking my flight, I finally arrived in the city. After the first round of one interview in the morning, I did my second round of six interviews in the afternoon (although only four of the interviews were initially on the schedule).

Interview Questions
    • (After pitching a stock) Who is the Goldman Sachs analyst working on the stock?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in February 2013.

Went through an interview on campus, was having a pretty terrible day and the interviewer could tell. We eventually connected on a personal level and he put me through for the "super day" interviews. Number one thing about the interview on campus was why Goldman and what makes you stand out. At super day I only had two 1:1 interviews with private wealth management department. Those interviews were fun and both interviewers were very friendly and asked some technical questions (way to long to type out) but they will find your niche and challenge you on it. They also will ask you about a programming project you've worked on, and make sure you know it in an out, they will quiz you on it. Went there on Friday, took them until Monday afternoon to call me back.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation, pay was well over what I expected.

Worked for Goldman Sachs? Contribute to the Community!