Goldman Sachs Interview Questions

Updated Aug 1, 2015
2,190 Interview Reviews

3.2

Investment Banking Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

Went through the behavioral phone interview. After that they flew me to New York City for the 'actual' interview. It wasn't too bad, I had two interviewers who seemed to be playing the good cop/bad cop card. One was super engaging and friendly and the other more direct and cold, this could have been totally coincidental. Be prepared to say why you want to do investment banking and show how everything you've done before has prepared you/interested you to be there (it can be anything from classes, personal experiences, past internships etc. just make a good case).

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to do investment banking? Describe an M&A you've been following and what do you think should happen?   Answer Question

Investment Banking Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (Boston, MA).

Interview

Campus interview during second year of masters in business administration, they contacted me after learning that have had an internship in another investment bank. I did not submit a CV or application at this point.

Risk Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

Very formal, received a phone call to schedule interview for next day. Guy on the phone was very nice and worked with you when you were trying to get to an answer to understand your thought process. Questions were tricky and required quick thinking as well as knowledge of international markets.

Interview Questions

• Talk about the economic crisis and how the government handled fixing it.   Answer Question
    • Simple bps questions, quick math on your feet.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

Received phone call and went through initial screening, was invited to interview in person for about 4 hours. Met with 5 groups of two to three people back to back. Behavioral and situational questions, really geared towards fit. Everyone was nice.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

On campus interview in career, met with an analyst, very nice, asked normal behavioral and why interest in wealth management. Was sent to the second round in office in san francisco, super day, met with 10 people. They grill you. want to make you feel uncomfortable

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

Very detailed technical interview with emphasis on Core java algorithms and performance tuning. The interviewers were good and were technical people. There were three rounds, first - A paper based test and the answers were used for further discussion, second and third rounds were completely technical.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

Internal Recruiter contacted me at LinkedIn. I had two screening interviews: one phone and one with Bluejeans at around 2 weeks interval. Very slow process.. Everything seem very easy but after a long time, they mailed me, they are moving with another candidates. :)

Interview Questions

• The phone interview was purely technical and it went very well. It was around basic Java, multi threading, OO concepts, database, algorithms, Java collections,..etc. This one went very well. The next BlueJeans Video interview was just behavioral and everything seem went very well. All the questions they asked were very simple ones. e.g. how you approach a problem, and they tried to dive deep following my answer to one question and tried to explore my behavioral, technical skills.   1 Answer

Operations Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

I applied online and waited about two weeks to hear back from them. They emailed back and asked me to fly me out to Salt Lake City for an interview. I think they were interviewing about thirty people that day in shifts. I got interviewed by four different people for 15-30 minutes each. I got a phone call with results the next day.

Interview Questions

• There was a lot of "why Goldman Sachs?" so be ready for that. I had no experience in finance so most questions were character based.   Answer Question

Investment Banking Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (Chicago, IL).

Interview

1 phone interview, 1 super-day. Had to interview with 3 groups (2 people in each). Generally pretty laid back -mostly behavioral - but that was probably because I was interviewing as a sophomore. No brainteasers.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

Was flown to NY, had a 3-4 hour interview with more than 5 people. Been in the industry a few years already, and the questions ranged from the pretty easy to the impossibly hard. As a general rule, if it's on your resume, they're expecting you to know the material cold. Bonus points for being able to explain the material coherently. If it's not on your resume, they didn't seem to get bothered when replying that you weren't sure. While this was the most difficult interview I've ever had, it definitely wasn't easy. The interviewers all seemed to genuinely love working for Goldman, and honestly acknowledged the workload is not as easy as a 9-5, which was a big sell to me. Seemed that all the interviewers genuinely loved working with their coworkers, which is something I had never seen before.

Interview Questions

• Write a sorting algorithm out by hand   1 Answer