Goldman Sachs

Updated Dec 16, 2014
1,821 Interview Reviews

3.3

Operations Summer Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

I applied through my university's career website for a diversity symposium. They contacted me and flew me to their office for the event as well as interviews. The interviews were all behavioral, with a lot of questions about how I have worked on/in teams.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to stand alone and support your idea against other team members   Answer Question

Financial Analyst - Private Wealth Management Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Applied online and received an e-mail to request an interview. The interviewer went to my same school, so was familiar with the programs and materials I talked about. He was quite nice, but hard to hear. Interviewer just let me talk for about 45 minutes about how I'd solve the problem. He guided me through it and we got to an answer.

Interview Questions
    • Using object oriented programming, estimate the number Pi and describe the accuracy of your estimation.
      How would you assess the interest rates on loans for different purchases?

Answer Question

Financial Controller Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

First round - 1-2 interview - competency - including, why goldman, why finance, talk me through an industry or market you've been following. Teamwork question, changed approach, change views of others. Interviewers very friendly, more just trying to make sure you're not an odd person and can work with them. Most pleasurable interview I have had.

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through other source – interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Had a phone interview, mainly over the resume. Then they flew me to SLC, UT for a "super day" where I had 3 interviews in one day. Most was behavioral, they just want to see if you are a fit in the company

Interview Questions
    • What makes you different from the others being interviewed today   View Answer
    N/A

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Not very many technical questions as I had expected. It was definitely more behavioral questions, but the guy was very friendly and no brain teasers or hard math. Overall a good time and it was a very relaxed environment

IMD PWM/TPD Strats Team Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

I was contacted via email by someone in HR and asked if I wanted to schedule a one hour technical interview with a member of the team. After a bunch of back and forth (six emails) -- as the HR person did not seem to bet back to me in a timely manner -- we scheduled my interview.

During the phone interview process I spoke with one person, who spent the first five to ten minutes of our interview telling me about the three openings with the group. He then proceeded to ask me two technical questions with multiple parts.

Interview Questions
    • The first question was how to write an algorithm to find the value of pi using a basic computer language with if, while, else, rand, etc. I chose to use a Monte Carlo method and proceeded to illustrate how I would find pi. I was then asked to determine the distribution of the results given that I had proposed using random numbers in my solution. The last question I was asked on this topic was to determine how I would nail down the accuracy of my algorithm -- meaning if we wanted to be +/- 0.001, how many trials would that take?   Answer Question
    • The second question was about a binary search algorithm, but was phrased such that I didn't realize that's what the interviewer was getting at until later. I was first told that I have an array of integers, and that I want to find the left-most occurrence of a particular number. We went through how I would developed that algorithm, and then how I would code it (verbally) using agreed-upon notation and the minimal programming language mentioned previously.   Answer Question

Finance (Controllers) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Campus, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Campus, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Got an interview through my schools career website, and had it on-campus a couple weeks after apply. Interview was a 2 on 1, which caught me off-guard a bit, but the questions were pretty much all behavioral. Just know yourself.

Intern Interview

Accelerated process. Initial interview was 30 minutes over the phone. Superday took place in their Jersey City Office and consisted of 2 30 minute interviews (1:1 and 2:1). Pretty much all behavioral / fit questions. Highly recommend reaching out to employees before the interview process.

Summer Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

I applied for one of the Strats Summer Analyst seats.

The process started with a resume/application screen, presumably. I was notified quite soon after that I was to go through a phone screen/interview. Spoke with the interviewer about myself for about half an hour and was asked multiple programming, probability, and statistics based technical questions. Then we spoke on market conditions and the general direction of change in the Strats' roles at Goldman for another half an hour.

I attended a few recruitment seminars at my school. I don't think that they helped during the recruitment process except to prove to me that Goldman was at least worth doing a Summer Analyst position at.

Then I was scheduled for one of the Strats Superdays. There were a number of standard interviews, nothing surprising. Lots of technical questions similar to the previous ones. After the second round they cut more people and I was invited for the final round of interviews. These were less technical than the previous interviews and seemed more as though they were determining whether I'd be a good fit for the team.

Interview Questions
    • Almost word for word: "You start at a point on a circle with N points around it, and you move around the circle, skipping k points at a time. Tell me everything of interest about this setup"   View Answer
    • Given a basket of 5 independent stocks where the probability density function for the daily change in price of each stock is described by an N(0,1) distribution, determine the PDF of the entire basket.   View Answer
    No room to negotiate because it is a Summer Analyst opportunity.

Internal Wholesaler Interview

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

1. Phone interview with two Internals
    2. All day at Chicago office. Three two person interviews. Then an interview with head of the internal desk, then you have to do three sales call role plays. Finally you have to give a presentation to 5-8 people.