Goldman Sachs Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 26, 2014
1,592 interviews

3.3

Corporate Derivatives Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

I had a phone interview that was very impersonal. Very brief intro / discussion of my background followed by about 4-5 brainteasers and quantitative questions. The interviewer was clearly reading a list of questions he'd been asked to ask me and was looking for very specific answers (i.e. if I didn't answer the way he expected me to he asked me "if I could possibly answer the question a different way"). I'd suggest reading over "Heard on the Street" by Crack; questions asked were very similar those ones.

Interview Questions
    • Describe the graph of stock price versus vega of a binary call option   View Answer

Summer Analyst - Technology Interview

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Resume based.

Talked about previous internships/college level positions held.

Slightly technical

Quant Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

The process is through a recruiter and the recruiter notified me just before the interview which was really hard to prepare. The interview is pretty standard. You will be asked about your resume for about ten minutes and you are allowed to ask about the position. Then it comes the brain teaser.

Interview Questions
    • Why does the average of independent random variable converge to normal distribution, not others?   Answer Question

Legal Analyst Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in July 2014.

Had several on-site interviews and met with MDs and VPs one on one. The team was very friendly and genuinely cared about what your previous work/ educational experience have been like. Overall, very positive and enjoyable experience.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing out of the ordinary. Know your resume and how your skills apply to the job. Why do you want this job?   Answer Question

Vice President Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Multiple interviews across team members. Several days of appointments. Everyone was on time for interviews and questions were primarily seeking how I was as a leader and how my experience would be applied in current/available role.

Interview Questions
    • Did not find any question too difficult. Most questions related to skills and experience I had, and being able to tell how I'd apply them in the position for which I was interviewing.   Answer Question

GSAM Strats Interview

I interviewed through a staffing agency - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

GSAM strats team (perhaps the entire Goldman) are obsessed about brain teasers. They don't care about what you have on your resume (they may have their point because nowadays everyont's resume is inflated). They have a list of questions to ask, and they expect you to answer as soon as possible in the way they like. Perhaps they are trying to find a super smart person, but I guess the best way for a regular smart person to hack is going through all brain teaser books you can find, and trust me, the person who is talking on the other end of the phone is not as smart as they think.

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in March 2014.

Went through 3 phone interviews with different people from the team. The first questions were behavioral and also looking for a genuine interest in the job and in that area of Goldman Sachs. The third interview was more technical.

Intern Interview

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

First round was on campus (target school). Second round was in the actual office. The interview was not as technical as I thought it would be, though it should have been more technical. The actual job required you to have a solid understanding of accounting and finance prior to internship.

Private Wealth Management Operations Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in March 2014.

The first day of interviews I had four 30-minute interviews. They asked the typical "Tell me about yourself". They also asked for general questions such as "Why GS?" and "Why Operations". They then asked for specific examples relating to Operations, such as examples of improving a process, or compliance/auditing, etc. They got back to me fairly quickly and I had my second round interviews a week later. The format was the same, consisting with four 30-minute interviews with very similar questions.

Interview Questions
    The recruiter asked for my salary expectations in the first round of interviews and details about any other processes/offers; I was told this is because GS does not negotiate salaries and once they extend an offer, you have to accept or decline without going back and forth on salary negotiations.

Analyst/Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed online - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2013.

very standard phone screen, highly technical, ask about most changeling project so far.
    also basic c++ questions, vtable, data structure, constructor/destructor, smart pointer, base class,
    python vs c++
    didn't get the second round

Interview Questions

Worked for Goldman Sachs? Contribute to the Community!