Goldman Sachs

Relevance Date Difficulty

Legal Analyst Interview

Legal Analyst
New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in May 2014.

Interview Details – I applied through an on-site recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in May and June 2014.

First round, I went through a telephone screening interview with an on-site recruiter. Second round, I had an on-site interview with four members of the team: 1 MD , 3 VPs. Third round, it was again onsite with six members: 3 MDs, 1 VP, 2 Analysts. Fourth and final round, I met with the hiring manager. I was never given notice when I was not hired, so I had to contact the recruitment representative.

Interview Question – The questions were pretty standard (tell me about yourself, why do you want this job...). Just know your resume and be able to articulate why you are there!   Answer Question

Electronic Trading Sales: NY Interview

Electronic Trading Sales: NY
New York, NY

I applied in-person - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2010.

Interview Details – had 4 interviews ,was expected to go up to 20! classical interview, usual questions, was informed they did not need a European. Pleasant people, met the head of the department and a couple of sales people.surprisingly average people typical New York:like Bronx, good professionals but not that special.

Interview Question – straightforward questions.   Answer Question

Investment Banking Summer Analyst Interview

Investment Banking Summer Analyst
Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2014.

Interview Details – First round and second round both in the office. First round was mostly behavioral, asked about my previous internships and how it relates to investment banking. I worked in real estate private equity the previous summer and the interviewer asked me how the process is similar to a leveraged buyout. Why banking? Pitch me a stock (know certain multiples about your stock (EV/EBITDA) and others that's related to the industry. Got a call an hour later to come back the same day for the final round. 3 interviews of 30 minutes. Random brain teasers like one about buckets (3 liter and 5 liter, how to make it 4 liters). Overall less technical than other investment banks, they focus a lot on fit and how you know the markets.

Interview Question – What is a shareholder's right's plan? (poison pill)   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2013.

Interview Details – Great interview. Expected it to be hard. Not going to lie and say that I enjoyed the atmosphere. However, I am told by my friends that I enjoy high-pressure situations. The interviewer was nice, and I had a good conversation with him.

Interview Question – Why Goldman Sachs?   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
New York, NY

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in November 2010.

Interview Details – First interview was with Hiring VP. Second interview was with Team Leader of specific project and how I would complete a task. Team players were present at the interview and provided input and questions. Third interview with direct report MD. Discussed first two interviews and what current staff thought and their decisions.

Interview Question – Completing given task with other team members present....   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – like any other, additional money past a certain number of hours worked in a day, receive same perks as VP's

Administrative Assistant Interview

Administrative Assistant

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in June 2014.

Interview Details – I received a phone call and then a follow-up confirmation email regarding a time to interview. Be prepared to navigate the huge building! Security was very helpful, but it is a massive building so give yourself a few minutes to get where you need to go. My first interviewer was timely. I spoke with her for about a half hour, then with a second person for about 45 minutes. I was told to wait in the conference room for a third person. I ended up waiting for about 25 minutes before I asked someone if I was supposed to go somewhere else, and she said the third person was on a long phone call. Another 30 minutes later, she finally arrived. She seemed a bit flustered and did a lot of "mmhmm"-ing during my responses. I think everyone was busy, and I just kind of felt like I was in the way! Which, hopefully, didn't have anything to do with me. However, considering I still haven't heard back from them, maybe it did!

Interview Question – Not too many difficult questions, typical interview stuff (weaknesses, why should we hire you, etc). Definitely be familiar with your resume, as they have it in front of them and may refer back to it. Sounds silly, but she asked about an experience I had during undergrad and it took me a moment to reflect back on it!   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Analyst
Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in June 2014.

Interview Details – I was hired for their CRMA division. It took a month for them to get back after I submitted my application. The entire interview process took 2 months, mostly due to the availability of interviewers. I waited for exactly 2 weeks to hear back after the final interview.
The overall interview process was very positive. Needless to say that everyone was very professional. There were 8 half-hour back-to-back interviews, all conducted over the phone. There were some typical behavioral questions including tell me about yourself, tell me a time when you had a heavy workload, tell me about a project at your latest internship... etc. You need to know your resume very well. I don't have a very strong finance background, so they didn't ask very advanced finance questions, though there were still some basic technical questions such as what is credit risk, how would you analyze a company's credit risk, what role does debt plays in credit risk analysis, etc.

Interview Question – Most questions were expected. The most unexpected question was what do you think is the most important thing to GS at this point?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. The salary is fair.

GSAM Legal Analyst Interview

GSAM Legal Analyst
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in March 2014.

Interview Details – I went through a telephone screening interview with an on-site recruiter, and was then given an interview schedule. I interviewed with six different people: 2 VPs, then 2 analysts, then 2 separate analysts. I was never given notice when I was not hired, I had to contact the recruitment representative. However, I have since been given the opportunity to interview in a different position which more closely matches my skill set, so the (very brief) thank-you letters may have been helpful.

Interview Question – There were not any unexpected questions, my biggest mistake was not remembering names of people I'd met thus far. Pay CLOSE attention to the names of everyone you meet from the time you enter the building.   Answer Question

Vice President Technology Interview

Vice President Technology

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 8 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview Details – 1 phone interview. Multiple on site interviews with several people. Hr interview. Sr member of staff interview. Long process. Everybody had to like me or I was rejected. I saw this on the other side as I started to interview people. During the process the hr person turned over a few times. This should have been a warning.

Interview Question – Technical subject matter questions SQL. Some unix questions and java questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Meet with hr. Verbal offer. Lots of talk about how amazing the bonus will be, but no promises. Not open to counter offers.

Associate Interview

Associate
Jersey City, NJ

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in April 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online, received an email from a recruiter a few days later, indicated my interest, attended a Superday (3, 30 min interviews with 2 interviewers each), and received an offer 2 weeks later.

The entire process, including background check, takes a long time (~ 2 months) but patience is a virtue...

Interview Question – Walk us through your entire resume.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not too much room for negotiation but the offer was fair.

Worked for Goldman Sachs? Contribute to the Community!