Goldman Sachs Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 20, 2014
1,590 interviews

3.3

Quant Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

The process is through a recruiter and the recruiter notified me just before the interview which was really hard to prepare. The interview is pretty standard. You will be asked about your resume for about ten minutes and you are allowed to ask about the position. Then it comes the brain teaser.

Interview Questions
    • Why does the average of independent random variable converge to normal distribution, not others?   Answer Question

Legal Analyst Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in July 2014.

Had several on-site interviews and met with MDs and VPs one on one. The team was very friendly and genuinely cared about what your previous work/ educational experience have been like. Overall, very positive and enjoyable experience.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing out of the ordinary. Know your resume and how your skills apply to the job. Why do you want this job?   Answer Question

Vice President Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Multiple interviews across team members. Several days of appointments. Everyone was on time for interviews and questions were primarily seeking how I was as a leader and how my experience would be applied in current/available role.

Interview Questions
    • Did not find any question too difficult. Most questions related to skills and experience I had, and being able to tell how I'd apply them in the position for which I was interviewing.   Answer Question

GSAM Strats Interview

I interviewed through a staffing agency - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

GSAM strats team (perhaps the entire Goldman) are obsessed about brain teasers. They don't care about what you have on your resume (they may have their point because nowadays everyont's resume is inflated). They have a list of questions to ask, and they expect you to answer as soon as possible in the way they like. Perhaps they are trying to find a super smart person, but I guess the best way for a regular smart person to hack is going through all brain teaser books you can find, and trust me, the person who is talking on the other end of the phone is not as smart as they think.

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in March 2014.

Went through 3 phone interviews with different people from the team. The first questions were behavioral and also looking for a genuine interest in the job and in that area of Goldman Sachs. The third interview was more technical.

Intern Interview

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

First round was on campus (target school). Second round was in the actual office. The interview was not as technical as I thought it would be, though it should have been more technical. The actual job required you to have a solid understanding of accounting and finance prior to internship.

Private Wealth Management Operations Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in March 2014.

The first day of interviews I had four 30-minute interviews. They asked the typical "Tell me about yourself". They also asked for general questions such as "Why GS?" and "Why Operations". They then asked for specific examples relating to Operations, such as examples of improving a process, or compliance/auditing, etc. They got back to me fairly quickly and I had my second round interviews a week later. The format was the same, consisting with four 30-minute interviews with very similar questions.

Interview Questions
    The recruiter asked for my salary expectations in the first round of interviews and details about any other processes/offers; I was told this is because GS does not negotiate salaries and once they extend an offer, you have to accept or decline without going back and forth on salary negotiations.

Analyst/Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed online - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2013.

very standard phone screen, highly technical, ask about most changeling project so far.
    also basic c++ questions, vtable, data structure, constructor/destructor, smart pointer, base class,
    python vs c++
    didn't get the second round

Operations Analyst Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in October 2012.

It was two interviews. No phone interview. two 2:1 interview (2 interviewers) one for half an hour. several interviews in the same big room.

No technical questions but make sure you know the company and the position well. I think I made mistakes about why this role... I didn't prepare well and didn't get it...

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Beverly Hills, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Beverly Hills, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in July 2014.

I applied on Goldman's website for the administrative assistant position to their private wealth management division in Beverly Hills.

I received a phone call about a week later from one of their recruiters in New York. He asked me a lot of questions pertaining my experience and background. After 30 minutes he said that he would be forwarding my resume to the people in L.A and would be reaching it to me if they liked me to schedule an interview.

A few days later, I received a call from another recruiter saying that they would like to schedule me for an in person interview. She said she would email me the interview details and sure enough, shortly after I received an email with the address, names of the interviewers, and the interview time and date. She also recommend that I do my homework on the specific division by researching their website which I had already done!

My interview was scheduled a week from the day of her call. I arrived 30 minutes early to give myself time to park in the right place and navigate their giant building. They have a parking lot adjacent to their building (which they validate your parking for), and by the time I made my way to the building I still had plenty of time to kill. Luckily they have a Pete's coffee on premises so I went in, and grabbed a coffee. I checked in the front desk and they directed me to the elevator that takes you to Goldman's offices which are in the 26th & 27th floor. I checked in with their receptionist and had a few minutes to sit in their lobby.

Someone came out to meet me and took me in one of the conference rooms (with some stellar breath taking views). I waited about five minutes for the first interviewer. I was expecting a panel interview since the email had three names for interviewers. But it wasn't like that. I interviewed with all three separately. It took about 90 minutes. Very standard interview. One of the three people on the email didn't end up conducting my interview but they sent someone else.

Interview Questions
    • Typical questions, but they mostly wanted me to just elaborate on my resume.   Answer Question

Worked for Goldman Sachs? Contribute to the Community!