Goldman Sachs Interview Questions

Updated Aug 26, 2015
2,251 Interview Reviews

3.2

Summer Analyst Operations Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

Two back to back interviews on campus after applying online. Both interviews led by two sets of GS employees asking straight forward behavioral questions. The process took about a week after the interviews when I heard back with an offer for a summer analyst position.

Interview Questions

• What is a time you had to deal with an ethical issue and how did you react?   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

2 hour back to back interviews with 8 people - very intense. And lots of repetitive questions. pretty much got asked the same questions that people posted on here so as long as you study for it, you'll do fine. But just keep in mind, no jargons. Because they would really ask to to explain every single big words you use in the interview. It'll be impressive if you really got a good understanding of it but if not, you're kinda screwed.

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

Applied online. Setup the interview about 2 weeks later. Many brain teaser questions, introduce about yourself, the projects you have worked on, career plan and so on. The recruiter seems not very care about you, especially if you suck in the interview. You have to ask them the results and feedback(they just tell you no feedback) yourself.

Interview Questions

• What is the prob of getting "HTT" before getting “TTH”?   Answer Question

Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY).

Interview

I interviewed for the Operations Analyst internship. They acted rude, but the key word is they ACTED. I could tell they were trying to see how I handled tense situations, particularly because I have met both interviewers before and they had been nice. Make sure you know what would you do in the position, they expect you to REALLY know what is it that you want to be paid for. Know what you will say when they will ask you how would you add value to GS, and be prepare to authentically say your 3 main weaknesses. Do not pull the "I work hard", "I put to much attention to detail" card, because everyone has heard it, and will take off points of you. Just answer that question authentically, and state how are you currently doing to improve this. My advice, say that one of your weaknesses is experience, as they hire people that are the best at whatever they do. Good luck

Interview Questions

• How will you bring value in a different way that other candidates would?   Answer Question

Investment Banking Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

Went through the behavioral phone interview. After that they flew me to New York City for the 'actual' interview. It wasn't too bad, I had two interviewers who seemed to be playing the good cop/bad cop card. One was super engaging and friendly and the other more direct and cold, this could have been totally coincidental. Be prepared to say why you want to do investment banking and show how everything you've done before has prepared you/interested you to be there (it can be anything from classes, personal experiences, past internships etc. just make a good case).

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to do investment banking? Describe an M&A you've been following and what do you think should happen?   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

The whole process took about three months. The first interview was a phone interview and for the second interview I had to travel to New Jersey. The people were professional but not too engaging during the process. The questions were mostly technical and a few behavioral. You have to be prepared and know your stuff, it always helps to go over potential interview questions.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in August 2015.

Interview

My friend had referred me to a couple of positions in the company and I soon started getting calls from the HCM team to schedule interviews 1. One 30 min phone screen with member of team 2. Onsite interview (1:1 interviews with 5 people) in NY 3. Have one more tech phone screen scheduled with a senior member of the team <fingers crossed>

Interview Questions

• Q. Your strengths and weaknesses Q. puzzle - balls, one of different weight. How many tries on a balance scale to find the one ball that weighs more/less Q. merge part of merge sort Q. which sort is feasible in different situations Q. how can you use merge sort for large arrays Q. internal working of hashset in Java Q. why should you implement equals() and hashcode() for custom objects Q. Can you use serialization and deserialization on a Singleton class to break Singleton pattern Q. longest increasing sequence in an array of positive integers Q. buy and sell stock problem Q. Given an array in which every number occurs twice except one number that occurs once, how can you find the number that occurs once? Q. Difference between semaphore and mutex Q. How can you implement defensive security in a Java application Q. What do you know about the kind of work Goldman Sachs does Q. code to find if given string is palindrome or not Q. Query using SQL self joins - find employee with max salary in each dept Q. code to find if given substring is present in a string Q. design patterns that i have used Q. Questions on projects listed in resume Q. your preferred/most proficient programming language Q. project or technical requirement where you overcame some difficulty Q. what are the different steps that happen when you enter a url in the webbrowser Q. difference between browser and OS cache Q. what are cookies? what will happen if you delete them   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY).

Interview

Invited to diversity event. At diversity event spoke with multiple senior members of teams and Managing Directors. Then invited to a super day at nj office with multiple teams from different tech divisions. Then another full day in nyc and nj offices after that with the teams that I liked the most. Met with an MD from each tech division I was interested in that day. Each full day had about 8 interviews each. Interviews were generally discussions. Depended on your interviewer what you discussed. Not many coding questions and they were pretty easy. Coding questions were algorithms and recursion. Process is very long during interview phase, but during the interview ask as many questions as you desire. I learned a lot about the company during the interview process (division and team structure - got a whole drawn out picture, expectations, what people do on a day-to-day, where requirements come from, competition, end of year reviews, promotions, bonuses, etc) and everyone was very helpful answering questions. If multiple teams/divisions give you an offer, you get to pick your team/division. That's a nice feature. MDs are very involved and will help you choose the best spot for you even if it's not with their team.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Negotiation was expected. Was given ample time to determine what I wanted and finish interview processes with other companies.

Operations Summer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

Good experience. Very professional interviewers. 2 back-to-back 30 min. interviews on campus. Mostly behavioral questions with a few "why finance" questions. Make sure that you know why you want to work for Goldman, besides just saying because they are one of (if not #1) the best IB's to work for. Being up to date on market news and trends also is a plus that you should utilize.

Interview Questions

• Rate risk management, profitability, and customer service in order of importance.   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in August 2015.

Interview

Got referred and a recruiter called. Talked about my background and why I am interested in this position. Since I don't have any real work experience, he was not very interested in listening. I didn't get a second interview in the end.