Goldman Sachs Interview Questions

Updated Jul 2, 2015
2,148 Interview Reviews

3.2

Investment Banking Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

Went through the behavioral phone interview. After that they flew me to New York City for the 'actual' interview. It wasn't too bad, I had two interviewers who seemed to be playing the good cop/bad cop card. One was super engaging and friendly and the other more direct and cold, this could have been totally coincidental. Be prepared to say why you want to do investment banking and show how everything you've done before has prepared you/interested you to be there (it can be anything from classes, personal experiences, past internships etc. just make a good case).

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to do investment banking?
      Describe an M&A you've been following and what do you think should happen?

Answer Question

Investment Banking Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (Chicago, IL).

Interview

1 phone interview, 1 super-day. Had to interview with 3 groups (2 people in each). Generally pretty laid back -mostly behavioral - but that was probably because I was interviewing as a sophomore. No brainteasers.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

Was flown to NY, had a 3-4 hour interview with more than 5 people. Been in the industry a few years already, and the questions ranged from the pretty easy to the impossibly hard. As a general rule, if it's on your resume, they're expecting you to know the material cold. Bonus points for being able to explain the material coherently. If it's not on your resume, they didn't seem to get bothered when replying that you weren't sure.

While this was the most difficult interview I've ever had, it definitely wasn't easy. The interviewers all seemed to genuinely love working for Goldman, and honestly acknowledged the workload is not as easy as a 9-5, which was a big sell to me. Seemed that all the interviewers genuinely loved working with their coworkers, which is something I had never seen before.

Interview Questions

• Write a sorting algorithm out by hand   1 Answer

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

very nice and laid back. I went to the office in dallas/ irving texas and had two one on one interviews. After there was a panel that was able to answer out questions. I decided to accept another offer instead, but that was just because I was closer to the other firm

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

I was selected through GS super day.
    Step 1:- Written test in java,sql objective types. They have asked two program as well in that. you need to write that program in paper
    Step 2:- If you clear written , they will take interview on same day. I have given two interview on same day and then they have asked me to go.
    Step 3: - if you clear interview, then again they will call for further technical interview with the particular team

Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

Contacted by HR with an on the spot short interview. One more phone interview then a superday. Phone interviews are mostly resume based, nothing unexpected. Superday consists of multiple back to back interviews, 2 interviewers at a time. Superday is very mentally exhausting, interviewers focus on your personality, how you deal with specific situations, and if you're truly motivated to join and contribute the Goldman culture.

Some tricky unexpected technicals, but they're just exploring your thought process and your ability to not crack under pressure. Be prepared to go in depth on all of the behavioral questions, they'll follow up simple questions with 10 minutes worth of follow up questions on your answer.

Interview Questions

• Why join a firm with so much turnover? Why this department? Where do you want to work within this department? Time worked in a group? Your role in groups?   Answer Question

Java Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

First round phone interview ask basic core java, only basic questions, not hard. Second round also phone interview with big scope, also asked some core java, exceptions, collections, MultiThread, and programming questions.

Interview Questions

• What is the root class of java ?
      Tell me some of the main methods of Object class you know?
      What does the method NotifyAll() does ?
      What is the use of concurrentHashMap() in multithreading?
      What are different kind of Indexes in SQL?
      What are difference between DELETE and TRUNCATE in SQL?

Answer Question

Analyst/Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY).

Interview

Fairly Straightforward - Resume-based, fit, only a bit technical questions (not unexpected). The interviewers were warm, and there was no stress test. Overall a very positive experience, but you do need to prep for the interview.

Finance Controllers Interview

Interview

Nothing too out there. Behavioral questions were all of them. How well you work in team, project you were on, etc. Be friendly and have good examples about projects and teamwork.

Administrative Professional Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY).

Interview

Phone interview with erica but wasnt very detailed, she asked me about my work experience and how many jobs i'd had in the past, but i had trouble describing my skills and education as I was a high school drop out but she was very understanding. I told her about my degree in Nursing even tough it wasn't super relevant but she was impressed.

Interview Questions

• "what is your greatest strength"   1 Answer