Goldman Sachs Interview Questions

Updated Sep 15, 2014
1,612 Interview Reviews

3.3

Analyst Interview

I was sent Immediately to "super day".... through networking.

5 interviews in Chicago office 7AM - Noon. Ranged from VPs to new hires.

Awesome facility. The experienced professionals were awesome. Younger analysts seemed awkward & overworked.

I am not a finance major, so questions were more market based/behavioral based/etc.... Nothing too complex. If you watch the news/follows the WSJ you should be fine understanding the questions.

Interview Questions
    • "Why do you want to work at a company where you will have no life?"   View Answer

IBD Quant Interview

Applied via my program, a manager gave me a 30 mins phone interview, a lot of tech questions, including stats, stochastic calculus and questions about exotic derivatives. No behaviour question. And the interviewer was keeping challenge my answers even I got right. Guess he want to test how people preform under stress.

Interview Questions
    • A lot, no questions from classical quant interview books.   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2014.

4 interviews - what is risk management to you?....... behavior questions .... any excel project ... analytic project? deadline driven experience? dealing wit cash? how would you go bout someone who steals at work place or does something wrong or illegal? what is your weakness and strengths?

Programmer Analyst Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Asked about previous experiences. Some technical questions about programming in Informix-4GL. How to use case statement and basic SQL statements. How to join and use union. Since they are a financial company they had to ask you to take a drug test too.

Interview Questions
    I was there as a consultant.

Technical Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in August 2014.

I applied online. HR contacted me and had a brief interview: questions about past work experience, why switch? why goldman? etc. They passed along my resume to multiple teams. Heard back from 3 teams. Each team conducted an initial phone screen. It sounds juvenile, but def know everything you put on your resume. The first guy that interviewed me asked things from when I was in college (nearly 2 years ago) and I didnt remember everything for eg UNIX commands. One of the teams liked me and decided to conduct two back to back technical interviews with developers on the team (think they wanted to make sure I was good to fly me to nyc since I was out of town). Still waiting on onsite interview.

Questions from phone interviews:
    - Difference between interface and abstract class. When would you use one over the other.
    - Left join vs right join
    - what is the join on a table itself called
    - What is a spring bean - more spring type questions
    - what type of jdbc statement would you use for an sp
    - what is the sdlc process at your current firm?
    - difference between jsp and js
    - how would you find and remove a duplicate row in a table
    - why is String immutable?
    - how many hours a day do you spend coding?
    - how would access SQL from Java code
    - how would you open a db connection

Interview Questions
    • Design a restaurant with people in line, waiters, tables seating system, etc using data structures + design patterns   View Answer

Summer Financial Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

First round interview was at college recruiting center which lasted about 30 minutes. It was very friendly with two interviewers. They asked about my resume, why I chose my school and what my experience with Excel was. Next interview was superday at GS headquarters. Multiple interviews, starting from 8am, all of which got harder and harder as the day progressed. First few interviews were with Analysts or young Associates, next few were with Managers and Directors. Questions start becoming more technical after second or third interview in the office.

Interview Questions
    • They set up scenarios about the economy, and asked what the Fed's role in abiding the crises were.   Answer Question

Summer Analyst - Investment Banking Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Only invited to first round interview. The interview was basically behavior. 2:1 interview. The reason why you are interested in investment banking is a questions I got asked three times, comparing to my previous experiences.

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

On-campus process at target school, submitted resumes then got assigned interviews.

Multiple interviews with final round, some individual some panel interviews (varied by person). Mix of fit and technicals depending on your experience. Always started by them introducing themselves and asking you to walk through your resume.

AML Compliance Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in July 2014.

I had a first round of interviews with four people, then they contacted me a week after to schedule the following week the next round. I had a second round of interviews with ten people (some in person and some over the phone). Everybody was very pleasant and friendly. There was no difficult question. Most the questions were aimed to check whether I would get along with team.

Operations Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in May 2013.

The first round was on campus, and on the second round we were invited to the office. All of them were back-to-back interviews 2 to 1 or 1 to 1. The first round we had 2 interviews and the second round 3. The interview questions themselves were not difficult but you have to know what you bring to the table and be prepared to present yourself well, just like in any other interviews. Some interviewers were a bit daunting and I got nervous. Be confident and don't ramble!

Interview Questions

Worked for Goldman Sachs? Contribute to the Community!