Goldman Sachs

Updated Dec 21, 2014
1,828 Interview Reviews

3.3

Associate Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in June 2009.

Tough Interview Process. Met with several different people within the department in which I would be working. Overall, the individual interviews consisted of various personality based questions. Some interviewers were tougher than others. Some asked about current events, while others just focused on my resume. I asked a lot of questions about business, growth, the position, etc.

Salesman Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in September 2009.

This was a very, very, very, very long process from beginning to end. The lack of the display of professionalism is absolutely unbelievable from this company. I don't know what else to say about this matter. Every step of the way they are asking stupid questions. I would only say unless you fit the cookie cutter mold then you are not going to succeed at this company.

Interview Questions
    • There wasn't a specific question that was difficult or hard it was just the whole process.   Answer Question

IT Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a dayinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in December 2007.

- One phone interview - they want to verify that everything on your resume is correct and you are not a hoax
    - Six one-on-ones - they are trying to fit you in a group so you have to impress. The person interviewing you is most likely the hiring manager and he/she will try to judge your competence and fit for the group. Expect to get asked tough questions.

Interview Questions
    There is really no negotiations for interns

Quant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in August 2009.

First round, 1 hour phone interview.
    Question, probability question: if you roll a dice, how many times you need to get 1,2,3,4,5,6?
    How many 0's in 100!? What is the virtual function? And what is the abract class? What is the difference between newton raphson and secant method?

Second round, on-site:
    question, what is the brownian motion? What is the martingale? Estimate the delta of the at the money call? What kind of situation will make gamma negative? How evaluate VaR of the equity and bond portfolio?

Interview Questions
    • What is the duration and convexity of 10 years treasury bond?   View Answer

Engagement Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2010.

Two rounds of phone interviews
    1) two MDs from Europe asking fit questions...really encouraging me, but also intense on the "why goldman". grilled EVERYTHING on my resume. spoke both languages to me that i had put on my resume as proficient...be prepared
    2) Associate from the office, general technical, accounting type questions. know it.

-Four rounds in the NY office
    1) Met with VPS, and analysts who used to work in the country office where i was interviewing. got lambasted by a VP with this crazy consulting type problem involving cash flows of a hypothetical company...was intense. lots of technicals from analyst. also had a video interview with the european office.

-On-site, 7 round interview in Europe with written english and math exams
    1) insane.
    2) made me go in RIGHT after my transatlantic flight, straight from the airport
    3) sat me in a room for over 8 hours. everybody came to me in the room. total stress test
    4) HR girl tried to psyche me out about the written test...emphasizing the time pressure. just stayed cool..went through it, did well.
    5) whole team came in one-by-one to drill me. fit for the first 10 min, brainteasers, accounting questions, valuation questions, why goldman questions, everything.
    6) some were good cops, some bad, some turned lights down low and asked if i was getting tired...some flipped lights on bright and asked tough questions right away
    7) finally made it to a sweet MD who was nice and tough. was friendly at first, then started yelling at me, asked me to stand up and give a speech on the global auto sector, told me to sit down and quizzed me on math questions and the size of various global firms. told me i had it at the end...and was really nice.

not too bad, huh? everything was MUCH more intense than CS, Citi, or jefferies. even interviewed with mckinsey and they werent that intense.

Interview Questions
    • he problem (1) is likely to involve eight balls, one of which is slightly heavier than the others. You have a two-armed scale, which you are allowed to use only twice.   View Answers (2)
    • is to ask you to calculate the number of degrees between the hour hand and the minute hand of a clock (nondigital) that reads 3:15.   View Answers (2)

Technical Analyst Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in March 2010.

The technical interviews were very practical. The questions asked in C++/SQL were not theory, but some practical problems. One of the best challenging interview I had. A total of 3 telephonic technical interviews based on C++/SQL and general aptitude.
    All this was followed by in-person interviews (4 in number). The interview process being one of the best.

Interview Questions
    • We have a string "Hello How are you".

How do you efficiently reverse the words to "you are how hello". Using std data structures.

Answer Question
    • What happens if you do a 'this = this". And what happens when u call delete this from a destr?   Answer Question

I was told during final interview with Manager and Sr Mgr that I have to be on my toes always. I have to get the right attitude to work.
    The above statements are real nice one, but if someone is telling you these at the time of interview, then you gotta read between the lines. So, once I got the offer, I had done my research based on personal contacts in GS and thru Glass Door as well.
    I decided to decline this offer, because I am not the one, who can sell my life hours for money. I wanted a challenging role, but am not ready to spend more than 40-45 hrs a week for my career.
    A job at GS meant - I had to forget my regular fitness regime, my hobbies, the time I spend with my daughter, and the frequent time offs I take for leisure travel.

Sales & Trading Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a dayinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2010.

My interview was with 2 employers of Goldman Sachs, both women. They were both pretty straight-out-of-college and hadn't been in the industry very long. From the beginning they weren't very polite, and did anything possible to put you on the spot. Going into the interview I felt pretty confident that I was well-prepared, however, after leaving my confidence had been shot down, completely.

Interview Questions
    • Asked about how the change in commodities pricing has affected the S&T market   Answer Question

Trader Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in September 2008.

Hi everyone. Just had my first round interview today and I'd say it went well. It was rather low stress and the only finance related question I was asked was "are you following the markets, and if so, what is a stock you're looking at right now?" The lady that interviewed me was quite relaxed and basically let me talk for as long as I wanted on my research and my math and physics skills. She mentioned that this is the first year MS is implementing a sophomore trading internship, so I was rather lucky in that regard (there are a total of 10 people they interviewed). She also said that the purpose of the program was to introduce sophomores to the world of trading and finance and that I should "give it a try." What do you all think...good, bad?

Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in November 2009.

I went to the Boston Consortium where they recruit potential applicants. I had previously interned there the prior year so I was able to land the first interview. This took place with two interviewers in two different rooms, mainly behavioral questions with a few achievement elaborations. I was then selected for a final interview for which they flew me to NYC and had another 2 people interview me (in two different rooms). Same questions, same format, such at their office this time.

Interview Questions
    • What is the main function of Operations at Goldman Sachs?   View Answer

Hedge Fund Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in May 2010.

Goldman is the smartest company I have ever interviewed with. They are not old fashion like the majority of interviews I've been on. The employees I met have very similar personalities as me. I am intelligent, driven, confident and very personable. I have dreams that align very closely with the employees at Goldman. I have accomplished a lot of difficult tasks in my life, but going thru this interview is by far the most rewarding accomplishment I have been a part of.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do for $1,000?   View Answer
    • If you were arrested for something that you believed wasn't wrong, what would you do?   View Answer
    Life is negotiable.