Goldman Sachs Interview Questions

Updated Sep 15, 2014
1,611 Interview Reviews

3.3

IBD Quant Interview

Applied via my program, a manager gave me a 30 mins phone interview, a lot of tech questions, including stats, stochastic calculus and questions about exotic derivatives. No behaviour question. And the interviewer was keeping challenge my answers even I got right. Guess he want to test how people preform under stress.

Interview Questions
    • A lot, no questions from classical quant interview books.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

I was sent Immediately to "super day".... through networking.

5 interviews in Chicago office 7AM - Noon. Ranged from VPs to new hires.

Awesome facility. The experienced professionals were awesome. Younger analysts seemed awkward & overworked.

I am not a finance major, so questions were more market based/behavioral based/etc.... Nothing too complex. If you watch the news/follows the WSJ you should be fine understanding the questions.

Interview Questions
    • "Why do you want to work at a company where you will have no life?"   View Answer

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2014.

4 interviews - what is risk management to you?....... behavior questions .... any excel project ... analytic project? deadline driven experience? dealing wit cash? how would you go bout someone who steals at work place or does something wrong or illegal? what is your weakness and strengths?

Investment Banking Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Hong Kong (Hong Kong)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

I applied online - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2014.

I submitted online application in late October, and heard back from HR in November about phone interview schedule which was in early January the next year. I interviewed with two associates over the phone, one was mostly about past experience, with the other one focused on technical questions. Then I attended the super day in late January, with three one-on-one interviews. One was a pure technical interview, and most questions can be found on any reputable interview materials. The other two interviews focused on behavioural questions of a wide range.

Interview Questions
    • Interviewers were quite friendly and didn't challenge too much.   Answer Question

Technical Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in August 2014.

I applied online. HR contacted me and had a brief interview: questions about past work experience, why switch? why goldman? etc. They passed along my resume to multiple teams. Heard back from 3 teams. Each team conducted an initial phone screen. It sounds juvenile, but def know everything you put on your resume. The first guy that interviewed me asked things from when I was in college (nearly 2 years ago) and I didnt remember everything for eg UNIX commands. One of the teams liked me and decided to conduct two back to back technical interviews with developers on the team (think they wanted to make sure I was good to fly me to nyc since I was out of town). Still waiting on onsite interview.

Questions from phone interviews:
    - Difference between interface and abstract class. When would you use one over the other.
    - Left join vs right join
    - what is the join on a table itself called
    - What is a spring bean - more spring type questions
    - what type of jdbc statement would you use for an sp
    - what is the sdlc process at your current firm?
    - difference between jsp and js
    - how would you find and remove a duplicate row in a table
    - why is String immutable?
    - how many hours a day do you spend coding?
    - how would access SQL from Java code
    - how would you open a db connection

Interview Questions
    • Design a restaurant with people in line, waiters, tables seating system, etc using data structures + design patterns   View Answer

Programmer Analyst Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Asked about previous experiences. Some technical questions about programming in Informix-4GL. How to use case statement and basic SQL statements. How to join and use union. Since they are a financial company they had to ask you to take a drug test too.

Interview Questions
    I was there as a consultant.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in September 2014.

Was contacted by HR (they had my details on file) and asked if I'd like to interview for an Analyst position.I believe this was part of their off-cycle intake.
    Interviews were 1:1, and back-to-back. No "surprise" or "trick" questions. Common sense dictates: know your stuff, inside out. Questions were slightly 'behavioural' in nature. All of my interviewers were very pleasant.

Summer Financial Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

First round interview was at college recruiting center which lasted about 30 minutes. It was very friendly with two interviewers. They asked about my resume, why I chose my school and what my experience with Excel was. Next interview was superday at GS headquarters. Multiple interviews, starting from 8am, all of which got harder and harder as the day progressed. First few interviews were with Analysts or young Associates, next few were with Managers and Directors. Questions start becoming more technical after second or third interview in the office.

Interview Questions
    • They set up scenarios about the economy, and asked what the Fed's role in abiding the crises were.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Had an technical and HR round interview on same day at bangalore office EGL. This was for experienced candidates. The interview was scheduled @12 pm but they called us only at 2 PM . The questions were simple easy to crack HR was more a formality. But dont get the reason on what they select the candidates

Summer Analyst - Investment Banking Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Only invited to first round interview. The interview was basically behavior. 2:1 interview. The reason why you are interested in investment banking is a questions I got asked three times, comparing to my previous experiences.

Worked for Goldman Sachs? Contribute to the Community!