Goldman Sachs Interview Questions

2,147 Interview Reviews

3.2

Investment Banking Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (Chicago, IL).

Interview

1 phone interview, 1 super-day. Had to interview with 3 groups (2 people in each). Generally pretty laid back -mostly behavioral - but that was probably because I was interviewing as a sophomore. No brainteasers.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in February 2012.

Interview

Did an online resume drop and heard back from HR within a few days. Had a first round interview with the associates, one of whom sounded like a total d-bag and asked a very easy question is a very convoluted way that it may answering it difficult.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about yourself? Why do you want to work for us? What's your favorite book?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in July 2011.

Interview

Very lengthy and will interview with a significant number of people. Wide range of experience level of the interviewers, they gather different perspective from the different seniority. Most people were very fair but dry as not to let on how you are doing. The team then gathered and make a consensus decision on hiring.

Interview Questions

• What I enjoyed the most of my previous job   1 Answer

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

Multiples interviews with most members of the team. I was a lateral hire, so most of the questions were in relation to my current job. Some technical questions were asked. Hiring was based on fit, sometimes over coffee or lunch with more senior members of the team.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tokyo (Japan)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (Tokyo (Japan)) in December 2014.

Interview

Test center then one day group interview with 3 other candidates. 30 mins x 2 sets.
    People were friendly.
    About 50 people were taken in for the sales & trading internship.

Interview Questions

• What are you "number one" at, out of all the people job hunting this year?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about what kind of sales/trader you want to be   Answer Question

Vice President Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in April 2015.

Interview

Multiple interviews. Positive feedback from the team and recruiters, but at the end talking about salary expectations I understood that they were looking for a more junior person, and they did not care about years of experience. Sad they did not clarify that from the beginning when I was asked about my expectations

Strats Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in November 2014.

Interview

Flown out to their onsite Superday at their office in the Financial District and at their office in Jersey City. I had a 30min one-on-one interview and then a 30min interview with two interviewers. Afterwards, there is a final round of interviews that I was not selected for.
    The questions were predominantly probability questions along with a few questions on options and Black-Scholes.

I was particularly shocked by the rudeness of one of the interviewers in the second interview, as he interrupted me before I could finish my answer (which I checked was correct after the interview), seemed disinterested, and assumed that I was wrong. The interviewer seemed to assume that since I did not have a formal finance background I would be unable to offer anything valuable.

Otherwise, the interview process was pleasant. However, I thought that the atmosphere and impression given by the interviewers was fairly negative and rude.

Interview Questions

• Q: If one commuter train comes every 15 minutes and another comes every 40 minutes, what is the average amount of time one would have to wait before getting on a train? Suppose that they are not synchronized.   Answer Question

Investment Banking(10-12 Week Long Summer Program) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in February 2011.

Interview

Let me be clear, interviewing for an investment banking analyst position as a 21 year-old is one of the most challenging and humbling experiences you will ever go through professionally. This should go without being said. However, dress appropriately, arrive at least 20 minutes early, and know ever single detail of your resume. It is extremely important to understand the history and culture of Goldman Sachs. The interview is much more qualitatively focused. They want to see how you think and your ability to answer questions in a clear, concise, and logical manner. Again, a Managing Director would never ask you to give him a overview of how to properly valuate a company. Of course, if your were able to explain the difference between Comparable Public Companies, Precedent Transactions, and Discounted Cash Flow Analysis will give you a leg up. However, it is important to stay in your lane and avoid the possibility of coming off as the smartest guy in the room. It will come back to bite you. Keep your emotions in check and never get too high or too low during the course of a very long day.

Why Investment Banking? That is a make or break question. It is important to understand why you belong in IBanking as oppose to Sales and Trading. They want to hear that you have certain qualities like attention to detail, ability to work long hours, strong analytically, etc...

Why Goldman Sachs as oppose to Citigroup? Again, make sure to understand the differences between various bulge bracket banks. Understand the core strengths of a GS in regards to M&A and leverage finance. Explain that you believe GS is the best and will give you the proper foundation in order to have a sustainable career. Read Liars Poker! Read everything. Understand who the major players are at various Hedge Funds. Be able to give a general overview of the market.

Please understand that you will need to explain what a balance sheet, income statement and cash flow statement is. EBITDA? How working capital is calculated (current assets - current liabilities). The best advice I can give to you is to never be afraid to say "I do not know." After stating that, let them know that your work ethic will be able to overcome the steep learning curve. Everybody goes through the same training program and they start with the basic fundamentals.

Interview Questions

• What do you think the "typical" structure of an investment bank is?   1 Answer

Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (Salt Lake City, UT) in January 2015.

Interview

There was a very short phone screening interview. Then I had three one hour interviews with three different people one right after another. The questions were easy but the process took quite a long time. You have to be prepared to answer the same question over and over. They did provide a small break and water.

Interview Questions

• How would you get a server to use a preferred route to another location when there are two routers that can route the traffic   1 Answer

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

very nice and laid back. I went to the office in dallas/ irving texas and had two one on one interviews. After there was a panel that was able to answer out questions. I decided to accept another offer instead, but that was just because I was closer to the other firm