Goldman Sachs Interview Questions

Updated Oct 23, 2014
1,666 Interview Reviews

3.3

Vice President - Operations Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Did that 15 years ago.. at that time I had 15 interviews - 12 of which on the same day.
    They were all personality based questions.
    First and second rounds were few months apart - so no news is good news

No negotiation.

Summer Analyst - Technology Interview

After a refreshing, everyone is told the department that is interested in you and will led you to the office and get interviewed. All the interviewees will be accomodated in the great hotel.

Interview Questions
    • How to detect that if a sound is a part of a song, how to build the database. Like SoundHound   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

They fly you to New York for an all day interview. You are interviewed with 2 or 3 teams depending on your resume. They have two offices across the bay from each other and you have to ride the provided yacht if you have interview on the other building, it was an unique experience. The interview questions are easy if you know your data structures, sorting algorithm well. There are no hard algorithm questions like graph search for the specific panel I was interviewed. They also ask you the difference between abstract class vs interface, and inheritance what not.

Interview Questions
    • Basic data structures, algorithms and brain teasers. They also ask you about your project.   Answer Question

I didn't feel it was a good place for new grad to work at. As a new grad you want to be in a place were you learn a lot. This is not to say that Goldman Sachs is not good place to work at, its just that I feel that I will be limited to specific corporate technology that will probably not have a positive impact to my foundation of becoming a good software engineer. On a side note, after the interview, I trust that the people there are extremely intelligent and friendly, you will also learn a lot other skills that is related to financial and banking

New Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

I just met them briefly at a university information session, and gave them a copy of my resume. A few days later they called back for an interview. The interview was 4 back-to-back 30 minute interviews. 2 interviewers with 1 interviewee. They introduced themselves, then asked me to go through my resume. In between they would ask questions relating to the job, company, etc. They said they would get back to us in a week or two.

Interview Questions
    • Please rate the importance of risk management, employee relations, efficiency   View Answer

Global Investment Research Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Met recruiters at career fair and gave them my resume. Was called about an hour later on my cell phone asking for me to come back to meet the more senior recruiter. Talked to her and was honestly not too excited about it, not being very interested in finance.

A week later she emailed me saying that they were interviewing on campus and would like to fit me in. Went to the in person interview which was me to two employees. The questions were quite general about my resume until they started asking questions about which companies I would invest in, etc.

They told me I would need to be awake at 5 am since the SF office is behind East Coast time, I'm pretty sure I looked horrified. Not surprised or upset that I didn't get a second interview.

Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in October 2014.

I received an email from Goldman requesting a resume drop. Applied online and heard that I was selected for final round interviews in Salt Lake a week and a half later. The interview process consisted of four back to back interviews of 30 minutes each. Each interview had two VPs with different departments. Questions were mainly behavioral, and it appeared your process of thinking a question over was more important than the final answer. They are also looking for a good fit, so they'll ask many questions to see if you would work well with their team. By the last few interviews it was difficult to keep the intense focus they are looking for, but that is probably part of what they are looking at as well. Received an offer about three weeks after the interviews. Overall good experience.

Interview Questions
    • Mainly Questions to see how you think about processes. When was a time you failed in front of people and how did you deal with it?   Answer Question
    No Negotiation

Technology Analyst Interview

Networking with an alumni on info session, got into first round and pass it. It is divided into behavioral and tech, each is 30 mins. if you prepare for it, it should be easy.

Fly out to NYC for second round. It went bad since they test me on one particular question related to my resume experience and i simply forgot what to do...

My performance would be a B if I grade myself. Don't know whether i would have an offer or not. A lot of people helped me a out in the process so I wanna give it back here.

Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in October 2014.

They recruit actively at my school, so a week after dropping off my resume I was sent an email to complete the online application. Two hours after I completed it (make sure you are very thorough and specific, there is a minor cover letter requirement which I recommend paying careful attention to), I was invited to Superday.

Hassle-free interview process (logistically), just follow instructions and reach out with any questions. HR is extremely efficient with communication. I only wish that their reimbursement process was faster, otherwise firm covers all travel, meal, lodging expenses.

4 interviews, 30 minutes each, back-to-back, with senior staff. Round-Robin esque. Interviewed alongside 7 other candidates (mainly from Ivy League/big-name schools, but don't lose your confidence). Interviewed on Wednesday, was given a phone call the following Monday morning.

Summer Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Sent resume to a campus recruiter, was selected for an on campus interview. The interview process consisted of two back to back 30 minute interviews. One was with two people and was mostly behavioral, the other was with one person and it was heavily technical. Since I am a finance student they expected a lot more knowledge of investment banking than any college student would know unless they had been studying investment banking concepts for months ahead of time. The interview was overall a good experience for me because now every other interview I have seems incredibly easy compared to this one! Also the interviewers were very nice and seemed to care about what I had to say, but I knew coming out of the interview I would definitely not be getting another one.

Interview Questions
    • How many grocery stores are in the United States?
      How do you value a company? Examples...
      Other technical questions
        View Answer

Associate Regional Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

The GS interview process for this position is lengthy and takes several rounds. Applied through a recruiter. Phone screening with recruiter- passed. Following phone screening, I went through a two-person interview with would be team members. Their questions were on point and relevant. Passed round two. Round three starts with an in-person interview, though it has several parts or series to the round. You must pass each series during this round to move forward. First, series is a two person panel. Went well. Good questions were asked- market knowledge, experience, personality. Moved onto next series- another two person panel. Similar questions, but some definite odd ball questions too, which I assume is to gauge how quickly you think on your feet, but totally irrelevant and slightly offensive. Passed. Third stage: speak with MD. Normal stuff, but laid back for a convo with a MD. Passed. Fourth stage: phone role play. Prior to the in-person interview, you are given info about some of the GS Funds. You're role play is on these funds. Not bad, but they try to tell you exactly how the convo (role play) should proceed, but tell you to do it naturally? My role play went well b/c I had a lot of phone sales experience but their "coaching" was a distraction b/c it went against the "natural" flow. Passed. Final series was a formal presentation on one of the previously mentioned funds. You have to prepare a visual aid (night before) and present it to a panel of interviewers. At this point, you've been there for four to five hours. I wasn't sold on the group (seems toxic despite their best efforts to hide it) and was ready to get out of the interview. Breezed through the presentation. Overall, they value the position and interview process greatly. I appreciate their process, but wasn't seeing the value of the position/group.

Interview Questions
    • How will your regional dialect affect your performance?   View Answer