Goldman Sachs Interview Questions

Updated Sep 26, 2014
1,624 Interview Reviews

3.3

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

On-campus process at target school, submitted resumes then got assigned interviews.

Multiple interviews with final round, some individual some panel interviews (varied by person). Mix of fit and technicals depending on your experience. Always started by them introducing themselves and asking you to walk through your resume.

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in September 2014.

I applied for an investment banking analyst position in there Salt Lake City office through my school's career center. The next day I received an email from their HR department requesting a phone interview with me. I received a call the next day from a senior banker in there NY office, and I was expecting more of a relaxed behavior initial screen, but it was more of an interrogation than anything.

Interview Questions
    • No technicals, just asking questions along the line of "what makes you think you have what it takes to be an investment banker," "why didn't you have a 4.0 in undergrad."   Answer Question

Risk Management Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

I apply through career center, then apply through online system. They email back and schedule a date for interview. Then they call me on time. the phone call lasts about 30 minutes. Some behavoral questions like teamwork experience, and some other question for accounting statements.

Interview Questions
    • given walmart, facebook, boeing, which company is most risky?   Answer Question

Corporate Derivatives Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

I had a phone interview that was very impersonal. Very brief intro / discussion of my background followed by about 4-5 brainteasers and quantitative questions. The interviewer was clearly reading a list of questions he'd been asked to ask me and was looking for very specific answers (i.e. if I didn't answer the way he expected me to he asked me "if I could possibly answer the question a different way"). I'd suggest reading over "Heard on the Street" by Crack; questions asked were very similar those ones.

Interview Questions
    • Describe the graph of stock price versus vega of a binary call option   View Answer

Summer Analyst - Technology Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Resume based.

Talked about previous internships/college level positions held.

Slightly technical

Quant Interview

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

The process is through a recruiter and the recruiter notified me just before the interview which was really hard to prepare. The interview is pretty standard. You will be asked about your resume for about ten minutes and you are allowed to ask about the position. Then it comes the brain teaser.

Interview Questions
    • Why does the average of independent random variable converge to normal distribution, not others?   Answer Question

GSAM Strats Interview

I applied through a staffing agency - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

GSAM strats team (perhaps the entire Goldman) are obsessed about brain teasers. They don't care about what you have on your resume (they may have their point because nowadays everyont's resume is inflated). They have a list of questions to ask, and they expect you to answer as soon as possible in the way they like. Perhaps they are trying to find a super smart person, but I guess the best way for a regular smart person to hack is going through all brain teaser books you can find, and trust me, the person who is talking on the other end of the phone is not as smart as they think.

Vice President Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Multiple interviews across team members. Several days of appointments. Everyone was on time for interviews and questions were primarily seeking how I was as a leader and how my experience would be applied in current/available role.

Interview Questions
    • Did not find any question too difficult. Most questions related to skills and experience I had, and being able to tell how I'd apply them in the position for which I was interviewing.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

First round was on campus (target school). Second round was in the actual office. The interview was not as technical as I thought it would be, though it should have been more technical. The actual job required you to have a solid understanding of accounting and finance prior to internship.

Technical Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in August 2014.

I applied online. HR contacted me and had a brief interview: questions about past work experience, why switch? why goldman? etc. They passed along my resume to multiple teams. Heard back from 3 teams. Each team conducted an initial phone screen. It sounds juvenile, but def know everything you put on your resume. The first guy that interviewed me asked things from when I was in college (nearly 2 years ago) and I didnt remember everything for eg UNIX commands. One of the teams liked me and decided to conduct two back to back technical interviews with developers on the team (think they wanted to make sure I was good to fly me to nyc since I was out of town). Still waiting on onsite interview.

Questions from phone interviews:
    - Difference between interface and abstract class. When would you use one over the other.
    - Left join vs right join
    - what is the join on a table itself called
    - What is a spring bean - more spring type questions
    - what type of jdbc statement would you use for an sp
    - what is the sdlc process at your current firm?
    - difference between jsp and js
    - how would you find and remove a duplicate row in a table
    - why is String immutable?
    - how many hours a day do you spend coding?
    - how would access SQL from Java code
    - how would you open a db connection

Interview Questions
    • Design a restaurant with people in line, waiters, tables seating system, etc using data structures + design patterns   View Answer