Goldman Sachs

Relevance Date Difficulty

GSAM Legal Analyst Interview

GSAM Legal Analyst
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in March 2014.

Interview Details – I went through a telephone screening interview with an on-site recruiter, and was then given an interview schedule. I interviewed with six different people: 2 VPs, then 2 analysts, then 2 separate analysts. I was never given notice when I was not hired, I had to contact the recruitment representative. However, I have since been given the opportunity to interview in a different position which more closely matches my skill set, so the (very brief) thank-you letters may have been helpful.

Interview Question – There were not any unexpected questions, my biggest mistake was not remembering names of people I'd met thus far. Pay CLOSE attention to the names of everyone you meet from the time you enter the building.   Answer Question

Vice President Technology Interview

Vice President Technology

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 8 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview Details – 1 phone interview. Multiple on site interviews with several people. Hr interview. Sr member of staff interview. Long process. Everybody had to like me or I was rejected. I saw this on the other side as I started to interview people. During the process the hr person turned over a few times. This should have been a warning.

Interview Question – Technical subject matter questions SQL. Some unix questions and java questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Meet with hr. Verbal offer. Lots of talk about how amazing the bonus will be, but no promises. Not open to counter offers.

Executive Assistant for the Trading Floor Interview

Executive Assistant for the Trading Floor

Interviewed at Goldman Sachs

Interview Details – Wow all I can say is you walk in and there is no diversification what so ever. My interview was a waste of time as my interviewee made it clear she was way above me in this world. She was arrogant and some what rude. Completely unprofessional.

Interview Question – Really basic interview questions nothing tricky.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Associate Interview

Associate
Jersey City, NJ

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in April 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online, received an email from a recruiter a few days later, indicated my interest, attended a Superday (3, 30 min interviews with 2 interviewers each), and received an offer 2 weeks later.

The entire process, including background check, takes a long time (~ 2 months) but patience is a virtue...

Interview Question – Walk us through your entire resume.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not too much room for negotiation but the offer was fair.

Summer Analyst Interview

Summer Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview Details – I easily had 7+ interviews. My original interview was on-campus at the university I attend. A lot of it was pretty unorganized. When I received callback interviews, I was informed of the interview less than a week in advance (which was difficult since most of my interviews were in NYC and I was 4+ hours away from NYC and still had class). All of my expenses were paid, however. Which was pretty cool.

Interview Question – Something having to do with matrices and QR.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I had decent qualifications to be employed in the tech industry. The tech industry pays better, has way better fringe benefits (i.e. flexible hours, way less hours, no pressure to work on the weekends) and it seemed to be easy to make the transition from tech to finance if I later decided I wanted that.

Research Analyst Interview

Research Analyst

Interviewed at Goldman Sachs

Interview Details – Thought it was an enjoyable, although very challenging and rigorous process. The team members were all especially courteous and took a genuine interest in evaluating my abilities critically yet respectfully. You immediately got a vibe that the organization was filled with bright, if not a bit prideful, people.

Interview Question – Unexpected: If you could only be given two of the core financial statements a company produces, which would you choose?   Answer Question

Machine Learning - Human Capital Management (HCM) Interview

Machine Learning - Human Capital Management (HCM)
New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2014.

Interview Details – I applied to the recruiter webpage and got called by her. She asked me if I was interested in switching to this role because I am originally a Computer Vision Engineer. I said yes and she scheduled me an interview. First interview was hard and second slightly easier. The position was put on a hold and I didn't follow back afterwards.

Interview Question – First interview:
1. Improve the product google glass by identifying objects in scene and populating information about it on screen.
2. How to efficiently index a book based on words

Second Interview:
1. SQL - write a query to extract the first occurrences of sales according to person name (I am not very experienced in SQL and my answer might not have been very good. But he realized that about my background and moved on to programming questions).
2. Write a function to find the 2nd highest number in an array - Easy to solve.
3. Write a function to find the nth highest number - I kept giving solutions and he asked me to improve the time complexity at each step.
First step - use quick sort to find nth order statistic
Second step - to sort the function by merge sort and return nth order statistic.
Third step - if this function is called over and over again, use a hash table to store sorted version of array and return the nth statistic.
4. How to efficiently index a book based on words
5. Probability question: There's one box - has 12 black and 12 red cards, 2nd box has 24 black and 24 red; if you want to draw 2 cards at random from one of the 2 boxes, which box has the higher probability of getting the same color? He added, can you tell intuitively why the 2nd box has a higher probability - My solution was that at a step when you remove a card, say a red one, the second box still has a higher probability of drawing a red card than the first box and he said it is right.
  Answer Question

Vice President - Operations Interview

Vice President - Operations
Salt Lake City, UT

I applied in-person and interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview Details – 14 - 30 min. interviews that were over the phone and in person with multiple business units. Some jobs were taken off the table after an interview or two and then they were hiring for the position again

Negotiation Details – no negotiations, they would not talk

Vice President Interview

Vice President

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview Details – I was hired as an "experienced hire" and had about 15 interviews, up to the CIO at the time. It was a different time, and the emphasis on getting fresh, experienced talent was there in IT.

Interview Question – Tell me about the most difficult professional challenge you've had to deal with in the past 5 years   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – My recruiter at the time did negotiate and got me a very decent base salary. I had no idea how good the cash year-end bonus would be, so my gross yearly salary ended up being easily 3x my prior job.

They did change my job title in the end though. Verbally they said I would be a Technical Analyst Level 3, but when I got the offer letter it was specified as TA02. I called and questioned it, but they said, "Oh, it doesn't matter.. it's just a title and it doesn't change the amount of money we've offered." A year later I was promoted and I was given a raise (every year for 8 years, by the way), but I don't believe the initial title change didn't impact something.

Analyst (Intern) Interview

Analyst (Intern)
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in July 2011.

Interview Details – Interview process took 2 weeks and was very straight forward. You will be expected to have relevant industry knowledge and a good understanding of what they do. You should also be able to explain why you are choosing goldman over another similar company while outlining why you are a good fit for them as well.

Interview Question – Name a current issue in the news that will affect business at goldman   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Another offer was more geographically relevant