Goldman Sachs Interview Questions

2,058 Interview Reviews

3.2

Credit Risk Management and Analysis Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

The process was alright, but it involves weeks or months of waiting to hear back from them. Everyone seems really nice though, but they they just don't seem to have much consideration to your time, especially since its an internship and students need to know what they are going to do.

Interview Questions
    • Describe your market outlook for 2015?   View Answer

Technology Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Three person will interview and then ask you different question. Different person ask different questions and sometime they ask to perform some ask and code to see if you have solve the problem.
    They are most likely going to see how you think and how you approach the problem.
    I think that it is a good experience and help us to make thinking and making problem. And there are many things that can be asked too. And there is a different experience after all.

Interview Questions
    • what is the problem you have faced? how did you solve it?   Answer Question

Human Capital Management Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interviewed at the SLC Office for HCM. One interview in the morning with two employees. Fairly straightforward behavioral questions. They had marked all over my resume and had a lot of questions. Interview went well and got the call to come back later for final round interviews. One with the managing director and another with a VP. These interviews were fairly blunt and open questions.

Interview Questions
    • Describe your job search strategy. Which of these three attributes fit, talent, or skills do you think are most important. Etc.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst - Private Wealth Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Three fit interviews with associates and vice presidents. There were some mathematic components and some very basic market question, but the largest focus was put on the fit. You have to be a generally likable and extrovert person, since the work is so client focused. Don't compare it with other parts of the division or the larger firm, I've heard of different people who tried to take this route and failed to get an offer.

Quant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

I submit resume on line and get a phone interview after two weeks. Go over resume and ask what I did in school. General technical questions and brain teasers. asked about newton's method.

Securities Summer Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

On Campus interview - first round. I attended networking sessions and got invited to interview for this division. The interviewer was extremely intimidating and it was a negative experience. Definitely needed to prepare for weeks.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you predict the market going in the next year?   Answer Question

Veteran's Integration Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ
    Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in February 2015.

The process begins with an online application and is open to only Veterans of the US or some other foreign militaries. You must be recently out of the service or nearing the end of your enlistment.

1st- Online application and resume screen. If you pass this, you will receive an e-mail that you will be moving on in the process and provided details to schedule your 1:1 phone interview

2nd- Phone interview with VP or Managing Director at the firm. This was mostly a FIT interview which started with a walk through of your resume, followed by some clarifying questions, and leading into the standard interview questions relating to your experiences, leadership, strengths, weaknesses, and why you want to be in the industry for which you applied.

3rd- On site interview in whichever office you applied (New York/New Jersey, Dallas, or Salt Lake City). This is the final round and Superday for the program. Candidates are flown to their respective city and all travel expenses are provided including a company credit card, which makes the claim process much easier on the back side. The dress is business formal and everyone seemed to look the part. When you arrive you will be given your itinerary for the day and the groups you will interview with at including what time and location (several interview rooms). In some cases, candidates will be called in order to conduct a follow-on interview with a certain group, but for the most part, everyone had 2-3 30 min interviews per group they were applying.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work for Goldman Sachs?
      What do you want to work in this particular group?
      Walk us through your resume
      What financial event in the previous year was particularly interesting to you and why?
      What is a bond?
      What is enterprise value?
      Where do you see yourself within the firm?

Summer Analyst - Technology Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

I had the first round on-campus interview with GS. It was one hour long. Half of it is technology interview, and half of it is behavioral interview. I was not good at designing algorithm, however the interviewer was so kind to lead me to a better answer. They are very kind in scheduling interviews. Most applicants through campus will get an interview opportunity. However because of the relatively large pool, you may not get the second interview unless you get the questions right. Their second round interview is on-site in NYC office, which lasts about 2-3 hours, lunch interview may included.

Interview Questions
    • The tech question was to design an algorithm. The problem is to schedule meetings based on free time slots, length of a meeting and priority of a meeting.
      Behavioral questions are all based on resume. They would ask every detail in your resume, including why and how you did something.

Risk Management Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

I applied through on campus recruitment and dropped off my resume with a cover letter. I was notified of the first round interview via my school's career net. They take people from all different majors but it usually targets students who have shown some interest in the field of finance. The interview started with a walk me through your resume. I then told them about my past internship experiences and they asked me some detailed information on the technical skills involved in that area. I wasn't offered a final round interview but that in part my own fault for not having adequately prepared for the process.

Interview Questions
    • Walk me through your resume
      Tell me about a time you worked in a team
      What are your strengths and weaknesses

Operations Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Submitted resume online and was contacted a few weeks later to Superday at the Jersey City offices. Three interviews back to back in 30 minute intervals. The first two were 2 on 1. However the last interview was with one person, a VP. Very standard questions, with nothing being much of a surprise. Most of the interviewers asked the same questions so it did become a repetition game after a while but the process wasn't too bad. However the questions that I thought they were going to ask, did not get asked. With one or two questions about my resume, or Why GS? and Why Operations? Most questions were about my resume, with them going in very great detail.

Interview Questions
    • Why is your GPA so low?
      (Didn't expect this since there is not GPA minimum requirement on website or job description as is the case with most jobs)