Goldman Sachs Investment Banking Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Apr 20, 2015

3.4

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

From non-target, had fortunate timing and GS interviewed around 6 undergrads chosen from resume drop. After this, was invited to NY for a superday, and following this, did not receive an offer. Superset interview consisted of 3 30 minute interviews with 2 bankers. Mix of technical and fit questions.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Goldman Sachs

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

The medium is the message. The interviewer cares less about your answer to this question and more about the confidence, enthusiasm and passion with which you answer it.The speed of the response is the response. The biggest mistake you could make is pausing, stalling or fumbling at the onset of your answer, thus demonstrating a lack of self-awareness and self-esteem.

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

I attended their info session on-campus and then applied online. After one month or so, I received two phone interviews for the first round. Have not heard back anything for the decision yet. They usually give out second round with video conference and the final round will be on-site.

Interview Questions

• They asked very deep into several deals I did over my internships and also the DCF model.   Answer Question

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

Not very many technical questions as I had expected. It was definitely more behavioral questions, but the guy was very friendly and no brain teasers or hard math. Overall a good time and it was a very relaxed environment

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Goldman Sachs in December 2014.

Interview

One 30m Prescreen, Talked with a VP in the NYC IBD. Nice guy, questions were nothing out of the ordinary, interview flowed like conversation. Was contacted the next day that I would be hearing back within the week - was never contacted (its been over 3 months).

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a market your following?
      A company with high P/E aquires a target with low P/E - accretive or dilutive?
      Walk me through the cash flows statement.

Answer Question

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

They held a few information sessions at my school. I attended all of them and reached out to a few contacts a made. Then, short "informational interviews" were held with a selected group of applicants. From there they invited a handful to an early super day and let the rest go through with first round interviews and potentially a later super day in January.

Interview Questions

• I was asked about all of the different methods used to value companies. DCF walkthrough, comparable analysis, etc. Specifically, I was asked about which ratios would be used to value a start-up vs. a highly leveraged company vs. a large conglomerate with steady earnings.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Don't negotiate an internship.

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Interview

Goldman tends to ask much higher level questions than boutique banks. I wasn't asked any technical questions in the final round, with the focus much more on fit. They seemed focused on desire to work hard, teamwork, modesty. The first round was a 2 on 1 interview with the next round the final round. The final round consisted of 4-6 interviews on location.

Interview Questions

• The questions were all very straightforward. Nothing surprising   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (Boston, MA) in October 2014.

Interview

On campus interview with an alum. It was not too bad, he wasn't out to trick me. Started off with the basic fit questions, (tell me about yourself, weakness, name something that your professors would say about you) and then got into slightly more technical stuff based on my equity research background. Basically just had to know the stuff on my resume and some basic market facts

Interview Questions

• How would you compare investing in an Australian index vs the S+P given todays market conditions   Answer Question

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

On-campus process at target school, submitted resumes then got assigned interviews.

Multiple interviews with final round, some individual some panel interviews (varied by person). Mix of fit and technicals depending on your experience. Always started by them introducing themselves and asking you to walk through your resume.

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (Salt Lake City, UT) in September 2014.

Interview

I applied for an investment banking analyst position in there Salt Lake City office through my school's career center. The next day I received an email from their HR department requesting a phone interview with me. I received a call the next day from a senior banker in there NY office, and I was expecting more of a relaxed behavior initial screen, but it was more of an interrogation than anything.

Interview Questions

• No technicals, just asking questions along the line of "what makes you think you have what it takes to be an investment banker," "why didn't you have a 4.0 in undergrad."   Answer Question