Goldman Sachs

Updated Mar 2, 2015

3.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in February 2015.

The medium is the message. The interviewer cares less about your answer to this question and more about the confidence, enthusiasm and passion with which you answer it.The speed of the response is the response. The biggest mistake you could make is pausing, stalling or fumbling at the onset of your answer, thus demonstrating a lack of self-awareness and self-esteem.

Other Interview Reviews for Goldman Sachs

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

I attended their info session on-campus and then applied online. After one month or so, I received two phone interviews for the first round. Have not heard back anything for the decision yet. They usually give out second round with video conference and the final round will be on-site.

Interview Questions
    • They asked very deep into several deals I did over my internships and also the DCF model.   Answer Question

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Not very many technical questions as I had expected. It was definitely more behavioral questions, but the guy was very friendly and no brain teasers or hard math. Overall a good time and it was a very relaxed environment

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

They held a few information sessions at my school. I attended all of them and reached out to a few contacts a made. Then, short "informational interviews" were held with a selected group of applicants. From there they invited a handful to an early super day and let the rest go through with first round interviews and potentially a later super day in January.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked about all of the different methods used to value companies. DCF walkthrough, comparable analysis, etc. Specifically, I was asked about which ratios would be used to value a start-up vs. a highly leveraged company vs. a large conglomerate with steady earnings.   Answer Question
    Don't negotiate an internship.

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Goldman tends to ask much higher level questions than boutique banks. I wasn't asked any technical questions in the final round, with the focus much more on fit. They seemed focused on desire to work hard, teamwork, modesty. The first round was a 2 on 1 interview with the next round the final round. The final round consisted of 4-6 interviews on location.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were all very straightforward. Nothing surprising   Answer Question

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

On-campus process at target school, submitted resumes then got assigned interviews.

Multiple interviews with final round, some individual some panel interviews (varied by person). Mix of fit and technicals depending on your experience. Always started by them introducing themselves and asking you to walk through your resume.

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in September 2014.

I applied for an investment banking analyst position in there Salt Lake City office through my school's career center. The next day I received an email from their HR department requesting a phone interview with me. I received a call the next day from a senior banker in there NY office, and I was expecting more of a relaxed behavior initial screen, but it was more of an interrogation than anything.

Interview Questions
    • No technicals, just asking questions along the line of "what makes you think you have what it takes to be an investment banker," "why didn't you have a 4.0 in undergrad."   Answer Question

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

interviewed at Goldman Sachs in September 2014.

Interview process consisted of a phone screening that was for the most part behavioral with very few technical questions. I then was invited to a superday that consisted of 5 interviews that took about about half a day. Following that you were given a phone call regarding your status

Interview Questions
    • In the superday detailed questions were asked about company valuation methods. Having a simple generic answer you memorize off the internet will not suffice. They will continue to dig and will know if you actually know what you are talking about. Have a basic understanding of financial statements. Goldman really questions you on your resume so know every point in detail and be ready to explain each point and how it pertains to the position you are interviewing for.   Answer Question

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Superday interview as a lateral from another bank. Went over some fit stuff and wanted to make sure I was technically competent. Really emphasized hiring both hard working and smart people. Otherwise standard questions about background, interest in IB / GS, etc.

First half of the superday oddly wanted to know technical knowledge but didn't go too deep into line of questioning.

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

The process involved a phone screen and then I was flown out to interview that Friday. The interviews (3) were mainly behavioral with one being focused on my knowledge of the valuation process. I interviewed with three other people and none of us got an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Compare the volatility of a burger joint and an airplane manufacturer and how that would affect the valuation of the company.   Answer Question