Goldman Sachs Investment Banking Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Oct 11, 2014

3.5

29 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

On-campus process at target school, submitted resumes then got assigned interviews.

Multiple interviews with final round, some individual some panel interviews (varied by person). Mix of fit and technicals depending on your experience. Always started by them introducing themselves and asking you to walk through your resume.

Other Interview Reviews for Goldman Sachs

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in September 2014.

I applied for an investment banking analyst position in there Salt Lake City office through my school's career center. The next day I received an email from their HR department requesting a phone interview with me. I received a call the next day from a senior banker in there NY office, and I was expecting more of a relaxed behavior initial screen, but it was more of an interrogation than anything.

Interview Questions
    • No technicals, just asking questions along the line of "what makes you think you have what it takes to be an investment banker," "why didn't you have a 4.0 in undergrad."   Answer Question

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Superday interview as a lateral from another bank. Went over some fit stuff and wanted to make sure I was technically competent. Really emphasized hiring both hard working and smart people. Otherwise standard questions about background, interest in IB / GS, etc.

First half of the superday oddly wanted to know technical knowledge but didn't go too deep into line of questioning.

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

The process involved a phone screen and then I was flown out to interview that Friday. The interviews (3) were mainly behavioral with one being focused on my knowledge of the valuation process. I interviewed with three other people and none of us got an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Compare the volatility of a burger joint and an airplane manufacturer and how that would affect the valuation of the company.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2014.

2 first round phone interviews, and 3 face to face final round interviews.

Interview Questions

Got an offer in Financing Group under IBD, but preferred traditional IBD.

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

on campus interview (1st round)

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Networked and eventually got invited for a superday. Had 5 two-on-one interviews.

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in November 2013.

I went through the first and second round for the IBD in London. First interview was typical fit/technical questions (dcf, comps, etc.). 2nd round consisted of 3 interviews, and since I wasn't based in London, were over the phone as well. Asked fit questions such as why London? All sorts of technical (dcf, comps, can you use EV/Net Income?, etc.) nothing too crazy. Last interview was a little out of the box, but just be open minded and think through every step carefully.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too crazy. Just know your technicals in and out. Be able to walk through an LBO, and explain which ratios are more useful for some companies than others.   Answer Question

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Initial phone screen with basic questions such as tell me about yourself, why investment banking, as well as technical questions such as how do you value a company, walk me through a DCF (discounted cash flow), etc.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a recent deal you've read in the news and give me the financial details and rationale for the deal.   View Answer

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

I have had a phone screening but most of the questions are about technical questions.