Goldman Sachs

Updated Nov 8, 2014

3.5

31 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in December 2009.

Phone interview was very technical - going through the 3 financial statements and how they connect with each other.
In person interveiws with 5 people. Involved a teaser, realatively simple valuation questions, but mostly character / personality questions.

Interview Questions
  • If depreciation boes down by xx, how does this effect the financial statements of a company - where does it flow in each statement?   Answer Question
  • Where does minority interest go on the financials statements (new rule in 2009)?   Answer Question
  • How would you operate a hot dog stand?   Answer Question
  • Last book you've read and what you thought about it?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Goldman Sachs

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in May 2010.

I was initially called to set up an in-person interview. The person I spoke with was very polite and accommodating. The interview itself was quite challenging. They asked me a ton of questions.

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beijing, Beijing (China)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beijing, Beijing (China)

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2012.

I had two phone interviews during December before attending GS superday in NY in Jan 2012.

The one-on-one superday interviews were help by mostly VPS and several MDs. I interviewed with 3 VPs (all of them are ladies) from BJ office. English and Mandarin are both required during the interviews.

I should have prepared it better even though the chance is little.

Anyway, good luck to myself on the interview with GS new york office next twesday.

Interview Questions
    • If you borrow 100 dollar to buy an equipment, how will it affect the financial statement in the first year?? (second year???   Answer Question

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in November 2008.

Prior to the first round interview, I was given a simple IQ test on basic arithmetic and accounting concepts. First round phone interviews covered corporate finance topics such as the three financial statements, DCF and multiples valuation. We had 4-5 interviews on Super Sunday where the focus was often on personality fit. While questions were asked on technicals and also on what was going on in the capital and M&A markets, interviewers were more interested in how I reacted and it was ok to admit I didn't know certain things.

Interview Questions
    • Describe how a discounted cash flow model is done.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a dayinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2011.

a phone interview, mostly ask about behavioral quesitons and few technical questions, and whether you follow the market or not

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in February 2013.

On campus interview. Superday intervew in NYC.

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in November 2013.

I went through the first and second round for the IBD in London. First interview was typical fit/technical questions (dcf, comps, etc.). 2nd round consisted of 3 interviews, and since I wasn't based in London, were over the phone as well. Asked fit questions such as why London? All sorts of technical (dcf, comps, can you use EV/Net Income?, etc.) nothing too crazy. Last interview was a little out of the box, but just be open minded and think through every step carefully.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too crazy. Just know your technicals in and out. Be able to walk through an LBO, and explain which ratios are more useful for some companies than others.   Answer Question

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Superday interview as a lateral from another bank. Went over some fit stuff and wanted to make sure I was technically competent. Really emphasized hiring both hard working and smart people. Otherwise standard questions about background, interest in IB / GS, etc.

First half of the superday oddly wanted to know technical knowledge but didn't go too deep into line of questioning.

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

On-campus process at target school, submitted resumes then got assigned interviews.

Multiple interviews with final round, some individual some panel interviews (varied by person). Mix of fit and technicals depending on your experience. Always started by them introducing themselves and asking you to walk through your resume.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in September 2014.

I applied for an investment banking analyst position in there Salt Lake City office through my school's career center. The next day I received an email from their HR department requesting a phone interview with me. I received a call the next day from a senior banker in there NY office, and I was expecting more of a relaxed behavior initial screen, but it was more of an interrogation than anything.

Interview Questions
    • No technicals, just asking questions along the line of "what makes you think you have what it takes to be an investment banker," "why didn't you have a 4.0 in undergrad."   Answer Question