Goldman Sachs Investment Banking Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Oct 11, 2014

3.5

29 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2010.

I applied through my school's online recruiting tool. Received an offer for interview where my interviewer was also an alum (same thing happened to several other friends so I assume they try to pair you up with alums who would be more familiar with your school, level of difficulty of classes, clubs, etc...). First interview was actually a phone call, second one was at the office, followed by 2 more interviews on site.

Interview Questions
  • "What is the total surface area of all the rooftops in Manhattan?"   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Goldman Sachs

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in September 2014.

I applied for an investment banking analyst position in there Salt Lake City office through my school's career center. The next day I received an email from their HR department requesting a phone interview with me. I received a call the next day from a senior banker in there NY office, and I was expecting more of a relaxed behavior initial screen, but it was more of an interrogation than anything.

Interview Questions
    • No technicals, just asking questions along the line of "what makes you think you have what it takes to be an investment banker," "why didn't you have a 4.0 in undergrad."   Answer Question

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

On-campus process at target school, submitted resumes then got assigned interviews.

Multiple interviews with final round, some individual some panel interviews (varied by person). Mix of fit and technicals depending on your experience. Always started by them introducing themselves and asking you to walk through your resume.

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Superday interview as a lateral from another bank. Went over some fit stuff and wanted to make sure I was technically competent. Really emphasized hiring both hard working and smart people. Otherwise standard questions about background, interest in IB / GS, etc.

First half of the superday oddly wanted to know technical knowledge but didn't go too deep into line of questioning.

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

The process involved a phone screen and then I was flown out to interview that Friday. The interviews (3) were mainly behavioral with one being focused on my knowledge of the valuation process. I interviewed with three other people and none of us got an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Compare the volatility of a burger joint and an airplane manufacturer and how that would affect the valuation of the company.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in August 2010.

1st round interview on campus. Final interview round at company site. 4 two-on-one interviews on technical and behavior topics.

Interview Questions
    • What causes the expansion and contraction of EV/EBITDA multiples.   Answer Question
    Didn't negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2014.

2 first round phone interviews, and 3 face to face final round interviews.

Interview Questions

Got an offer in Financing Group under IBD, but preferred traditional IBD.

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

First round interview consists of two 30 minutes phone interviews. Then final round with face to face interviews. The interviewers are all very nice, contrary to the conventional impression for GS - aggressiveness.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation when you find something unexpected happens and you have to change your original plan.
      Why Goldman Sach?
      Some technical questions, how increase of revenue affects three statements, how increase of account receivable affects three statements.
      Questions asking what you did in past working experience.
        Answer Question

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

on campus interview (1st round)

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Networked and eventually got invited for a superday. Had 5 two-on-one interviews.