Goldman Sachs

Updated Dec 15, 2014

3.4

33 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Not very many technical questions as I had expected. It was definitely more behavioral questions, but the guy was very friendly and no brain teasers or hard math. Overall a good time and it was a very relaxed environment

Other Interview Reviews for Goldman Sachs

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

It was an On-Campus recruitment process. Only one round of interview for 20 people. The interview lasted for 15-20 minutes. Questions were asked about my internship, background, pass-times and some about valuation.

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

They held a few information sessions at my school. I attended all of them and reached out to a few contacts a made. Then, short "informational interviews" were held with a selected group of applicants. From there they invited a handful to an early super day and let the rest go through with first round interviews and potentially a later super day in January.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked about all of the different methods used to value companies. DCF walkthrough, comparable analysis, etc. Specifically, I was asked about which ratios would be used to value a start-up vs. a highly leveraged company vs. a large conglomerate with steady earnings.   Answer Question
    Don't negotiate an internship.

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Goldman tends to ask much higher level questions than boutique banks. I wasn't asked any technical questions in the final round, with the focus much more on fit. They seemed focused on desire to work hard, teamwork, modesty. The first round was a 2 on 1 interview with the next round the final round. The final round consisted of 4-6 interviews on location.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were all very straightforward. Nothing surprising   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2010.

I applied through my school's online recruiting tool. Received an offer for interview where my interviewer was also an alum (same thing happened to several other friends so I assume they try to pair you up with alums who would be more familiar with your school, level of difficulty of classes, clubs, etc...). First interview was actually a phone call, second one was at the office, followed by 2 more interviews on site.

Interview Questions
    • "What is the total surface area of all the rooftops in Manhattan?"   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in September 2014.

I applied for an investment banking analyst position in there Salt Lake City office through my school's career center. The next day I received an email from their HR department requesting a phone interview with me. I received a call the next day from a senior banker in there NY office, and I was expecting more of a relaxed behavior initial screen, but it was more of an interrogation than anything.

Interview Questions
    • No technicals, just asking questions along the line of "what makes you think you have what it takes to be an investment banker," "why didn't you have a 4.0 in undergrad."   Answer Question

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

On-campus process at target school, submitted resumes then got assigned interviews.

Multiple interviews with final round, some individual some panel interviews (varied by person). Mix of fit and technicals depending on your experience. Always started by them introducing themselves and asking you to walk through your resume.

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Superday interview as a lateral from another bank. Went over some fit stuff and wanted to make sure I was technically competent. Really emphasized hiring both hard working and smart people. Otherwise standard questions about background, interest in IB / GS, etc.

First half of the superday oddly wanted to know technical knowledge but didn't go too deep into line of questioning.

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

The process involved a phone screen and then I was flown out to interview that Friday. The interviews (3) were mainly behavioral with one being focused on my knowledge of the valuation process. I interviewed with three other people and none of us got an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Compare the volatility of a burger joint and an airplane manufacturer and how that would affect the valuation of the company.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in August 2010.

1st round interview on campus. Final interview round at company site. 4 two-on-one interviews on technical and behavior topics.

Interview Questions
    • What causes the expansion and contraction of EV/EBITDA multiples.   Answer Question
    Didn't negotiate.