Goldman Sachs Investment Banking Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Aug 23, 2015

3.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in March 2013.

Interview

The interview process is based on getting your resumed flagged by recruiters and following up with people you networked to land your foot in a first round interview. The next step is to get your technical up to pace and then answer behavioral in a way that is memorable. That is the most assured way to best secure chances of being a strong candidate for the analyst position.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Goldman Sachs

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in March 2011.

Interview

-Very thorough, meet with several members of team -Mix of fit as well as technical questions -Technical questions mostly basic finance -- DCF, how do you value a company, knowledge of industry of group you are applying to -Some brain teasers -Interview process is formal but not a bad experience

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

Multiples interviews with most members of the team. I was a lateral hire, so most of the questions were in relation to my current job. Some technical questions were asked. Hiring was based on fit, sometimes over coffee or lunch with more senior members of the team.

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Salt Lake City, UT) in November 2014.

Interview

Campus recruiting (New York City IBD Analyst) Two 30-minute interviews with one associate and three vice presidents. In the first interview, all questions are behavioral questions. In the second interview, all questions are technical questions.

Interview Questions

• Why Goldman? Some technical questions, such as LBO, DCF, WACC, etc   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in January 2014.

Interview

Had two phone interviews with analysts and then a final round interview that consisted of three rounds of interviews. Had a few technicals and mostly fit on the final round interviews. Chinese language proficiency required for HK offices

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs in December 2014.

Interview

One 30m Prescreen, Talked with a VP in the NYC IBD. Nice guy, questions were nothing out of the ordinary, interview flowed like conversation. Was contacted the next day that I would be hearing back within the week - was never contacted (its been over 3 months).

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a market your following? A company with high P/E aquires a target with low P/E - accretive or dilutive? Walk me through the cash flows statement.   Answer Question

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

From non-target, had fortunate timing and GS interviewed around 6 undergrads chosen from resume drop. After this, was invited to NY for a superday, and following this, did not receive an offer. Superset interview consisted of 3 30 minute interviews with 2 bankers. Mix of technical and fit questions.

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Boston, MA) in October 2014.

Interview

On campus interview with an alum. It was not too bad, he wasn't out to trick me. Started off with the basic fit questions, (tell me about yourself, weakness, name something that your professors would say about you) and then got into slightly more technical stuff based on my equity research background. Basically just had to know the stuff on my resume and some basic market facts

Interview Questions

• How would you compare investing in an Australian index vs the S+P given todays market conditions   Answer Question

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

The interview was 30 mins long over the phone with a VP. It was a first round interview. Very warm interviewer. On top of asking about my cv and work background, he asked about my interests as well. The interview became more friendly as time passed but I had the feeling the first 5 mins of the interview are crucial, along the lines of walk me through your CV and the questions that follow depend on how well you present yourself and speak about experiences - I wasn't very well rehearsed so didn't ace this bit. As no technical questions were asked, I presumed that they make up their mind quite early in the interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

The medium is the message. The interviewer cares less about your answer to this question and more about the confidence, enthusiasm and passion with which you answer it.The speed of the response is the response. The biggest mistake you could make is pausing, stalling or fumbling at the onset of your answer, thus demonstrating a lack of self-awareness and self-esteem.