Goldman Sachs

Updated Jan 15, 2015

3.4

35 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

on campus interview (1st round)

Other Interview Reviews for Goldman Sachs

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Networked and eventually got invited for a superday. Had 5 two-on-one interviews.

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in November 2013.

I went through the first and second round for the IBD in London. First interview was typical fit/technical questions (dcf, comps, etc.). 2nd round consisted of 3 interviews, and since I wasn't based in London, were over the phone as well. Asked fit questions such as why London? All sorts of technical (dcf, comps, can you use EV/Net Income?, etc.) nothing too crazy. Last interview was a little out of the box, but just be open minded and think through every step carefully.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too crazy. Just know your technicals in and out. Be able to walk through an LBO, and explain which ratios are more useful for some companies than others.   Answer Question

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Initial phone screen with basic questions such as tell me about yourself, why investment banking, as well as technical questions such as how do you value a company, walk me through a DCF (discounted cash flow), etc.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a recent deal you've read in the news and give me the financial details and rationale for the deal.   View Answer

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

I have had a phone screening but most of the questions are about technical questions.

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Got my resume passed to the HR by some people. Got the first round by HR and second around an associate from the team.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in February 2013.

On campus interview. Superday intervew in NYC.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

2 phone interview, one on campus interview, superday

Interview Questions
    • In what situation could a call option have parabolic returns?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in February 2012.

I had two interviewers, both were VPs of IBD. One of them was friendly and easy to talk to but the other interviewer was aloof at best and seemed largely disinterested. It started off with the usual "walk me through your resume" and was a mix of fit and technical questions. For the technical questions, they asked me to explain LBOs since the work experience I had in my resume involved them. They also asked me what investments/projects should I pursue and how I would explain to my boss what a good one would be.

Interview Questions
    • How does an LBO work? Would you rather finance an acquisition with a debt/equity split of 70/30 or 90/10? Why?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in December 2011.

I haven't yet completed the interview process--I began with a 20-minute phone interview, and will soon take part in a 3-hour interview in-office with the other applicants for the same job. I'm not sure how the 3-hours of interviews will be structured, but I heard from a current analyst that VPs from the division will interview each applicant as a group for one part of the interview. During the phone interview, I didn't have to answer any questions about the job I was applying for, or the company, and my interviewer was very easy to talk to.

Interview Questions
    • How do your skills and experience apply to the demands of this job?   Answer Question