Goldman Sachs Investment Banking Summer Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Jun 30, 2015

3.3

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (Chicago, IL).

Interview

1 phone interview, 1 super-day. Had to interview with 3 groups (2 people in each). Generally pretty laid back -mostly behavioral - but that was probably because I was interviewing as a sophomore. No brainteasers.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Goldman Sachs

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in November 2014.

Interview

The majority were fit questions. There were also some resume questions but Goldman doesn't seem to focus that much on technicals if you didn't do an investment banking internship before. It's all about how you can fit into the team. Also have a strong answer for why Goldman. First round is 2 on 1 for me. There was an MD with an analyst.

Interview Questions

• Tell me an intellectual curiosity and how you developed it.   Answer Question

Summer Analyst - Investment Banking Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

Only invited to first round interview. The interview was basically behavior. 2:1 interview. The reason why you are interested in investment banking is a questions I got asked three times, comparing to my previous experiences.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in February 2014.

Interview

First round on-campus recruiting. Two rounds of phone interviews with a specific group followed by a super-day about a week later.

Interview Questions

• How to calculate the value of a commercial property with a single large tenant.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

First round and second round both in the office. First round was mostly behavioral, asked about my previous internships and how it relates to investment banking. I worked in real estate private equity the previous summer and the interviewer asked me how the process is similar to a leveraged buyout. Why banking? Pitch me a stock (know certain multiples about your stock (EV/EBITDA) and others that's related to the industry. Got a call an hour later to come back the same day for the final round. 3 interviews of 30 minutes. Random brain teasers like one about buckets (3 liter and 5 liter, how to make it 4 liters). Overall less technical than other investment banks, they focus a lot on fit and how you know the markets.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (Jersey City, NJ) in February 2013.

Interview

Had an on-campus first round interview that was mostly behavioral (likely because I'm a sophomore). Was invited to a superday (exclusively for sophomores) that took place about 3 weeks afterward in their Jersey City office. The superday consisted of 3 back to back interviews and was again mostly behavioral, although the interviewers did ask some technicals related to my previous banking experience. I received a phone call with the offer during the next business day.

Interview Questions

• Describe in detail a deal that you worked on at your last internship. (That led into subsequent questions about valuation, industry differences, etc.)   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (Houston, TX) in January 2013.

Interview

Had an initial phone screening, then was called in for a superday in the Houston office. All of the guys were pretty easygoing, not too many technical questions. Mostly fit, why energy, why Goldman, etc. Didn't give me an offer, but did offer to help me with feedback on future interviews, which was helpful.

Interview Questions

• Can a stock that is more volatile than the market have a negative beta?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in February 2010.

Interview

Applied through college's career services office and through Goldman Sachs' website. Received first round interview. Did not get a same-day second round interview. Interviewer began with technical, rather than fit questions, which led to an awkward start. Asked a brainteaser; in retrospect, it was more important to remain cool, calm, and collected, then arrive at the right answers. Testing composure. Had to pitch a stock.

Interview Questions

• Where would you invest your money these days? Pitch me a stock.   Answer Question
    • Which would you rather push: Button A with X or Button B with Y? (Question regarding appreciation and interest rates)   1 Answer

Investment Banking Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Hong Kong (Hong Kong)) in January 2014.

Interview

I submitted online application in late October, and heard back from HR in November about phone interview schedule which was in early January the next year. I interviewed with two associates over the phone, one was mostly about past experience, with the other one focused on technical questions. Then I attended the super day in late January, with three one-on-one interviews. One was a pure technical interview, and most questions can be found on any reputable interview materials. The other two interviews focused on behavioural questions of a wide range.

Interview Questions

• Interviewers were quite friendly and didn't challenge too much.   Answer Question

Summer Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in January 2014.

Interview

Applied through campus recruiting. Phone interview for first round. Goldman likes to ask questions in their own form. Rather than asking what your stock pitch is, they would ask about what you would do with $1 million today. It is more implicit and you gotta be sharp on your feet to pick up the clues they throw at you.

Interview Questions

• What is your personal WACC? - This is a test to see your technical skills and also to have a glimpse into your personal life. Why would your cost of equity be high? Do you have a lot of extra curricular activities and time is a luxury?   Answer Question