Goldman Sachs

Average Difficulty
10 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2014.

Interview Details – First round and second round both in the office. First round was mostly behavioral, asked about my previous internships and how it relates to investment banking. I worked in real estate private equity the previous summer and the interviewer asked me how the process is similar to a leveraged buyout. Why banking? Pitch me a stock (know certain multiples about your stock (EV/EBITDA) and others that's related to the industry. Got a call an hour later to come back the same day for the final round. 3 interviews of 30 minutes. Random brain teasers like one about buckets (3 liter and 5 liter, how to make it 4 liters). Overall less technical than other investment banks, they focus a lot on fit and how you know the markets.

Interview Question – What is a shareholder's right's plan? (poison pill)   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in February 2014.

Interview Details – First round on-campus recruiting. Two rounds of phone interviews with a specific group followed by a super-day about a week later.

Interview Question – How to calculate the value of a commercial property with a single large tenant.   View Answer

Jersey City, NJ

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in February 2013.

Interview Details – Had an on-campus first round interview that was mostly behavioral (likely because I'm a sophomore). Was invited to a superday (exclusively for sophomores) that took place about 3 weeks afterward in their Jersey City office. The superday consisted of 3 back to back interviews and was again mostly behavioral, although the interviewers did ask some technicals related to my previous banking experience. I received a phone call with the offer during the next business day.

Interview Question – Describe in detail a deal that you worked on at your last internship. (That led into subsequent questions about valuation, industry differences, etc.)   Answer Question

Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2013.

Interview Details – Had an initial phone screening, then was called in for a superday in the Houston office. All of the guys were pretty easygoing, not too many technical questions. Mostly fit, why energy, why Goldman, etc. Didn't give me an offer, but did offer to help me with feedback on future interviews, which was helpful.

Interview Question – Can a stock that is more volatile than the market have a negative beta?   View Answer

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in February 2010.

Interview Details – Applied through college's career services office and through Goldman Sachs' website. Received first round interview. Did not get a same-day second round interview. Interviewer began with technical, rather than fit questions, which led to an awkward start. Asked a brainteaser; in retrospect, it was more important to remain cool, calm, and collected, then arrive at the right answers. Testing composure. Had to pitch a stock.

Interview Questions

• Where would you invest your money these days? Pitch me a stock.   Answer Question
  • Which would you rather push: Button A with X or Button B with Y? (Question regarding appreciation and interest rates)   View Answer

Investment Banking Analyst Summer Interview

Investment Banking Analyst Summer
Singapore (Singapore)

I applied online and interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview Details – Phone interviews with 2 associates followed by superday that comprised of 3 1:1 interviews. Interviews comprised of mostly fit questions. Technical questions are based on your CV. Everyone was really pleasant and helpful. Really pleasant experience. Process was swift and fast.

Interview Question – What are some M&A deals below 500million that were done by Goldman recently   Answer Question

Investment Banking Summer Analyst

The process took 3 days - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in February 2012.

Interview Details – Fit is huge, though very different from most other banks. Fit at Goldman is based on intelligence rather than looks.

Brain teasers are a joke (directly from vault) and in general, just demonstrating to them that you are smart and can work in a team are great tips.

Overall, one of the easiest interview experiences I had.

Interview Questions

• If I stacked pennies from the ground to the top of the Empire State Bldg, would they all fit onto a floor of the building?   View Answers (3)
  • Walk me through your resume   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Placed into an IBD group (capital-markets related) rather than an industry group offer from another BB

Investment Banking Summer Analyst
City of London, England (UK)

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2012.

Interview Details – The interview process was very professional. The HR at Goldman Sachs are definately one of the best in the industry. In my impression Goldman Sachs are looking for highly intelligent candidates with no need to show off. Big egos will not fit with the team culture at GS.

Interview Question – Why would you not accept this job?   Answer Question

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in February 2011.

Interview Details – GS did not ask for tests (numerical, verbal reasoning) and did less interviews than other banks. Process consisted of 1 phone interview and 2 onsite interviews. Phone interview was said to be competency based but it was 80% math and 20% competency, be prepared for some straightforward calculations and core math questions. They value speed in answers but correct answers even more. 2nd round consisted of 2 1:2 interviews with brainteasers and finance and valuation questions. Do not be surprised to get a question about the contents of a cube etc. Interviewers were nice although not very responsive. Make sure you do not make any mistakes, are extremely passionate about the firm and i-banking.

Interview Questions

• You have a cube of 100cm*100*100cm. You poor 1 liter of water into the cube, how high will the cube be filled with water in centimeters?   View Answer
  • Main difference between transaction multiples and trading multiples?   View Answer

Investment Banking Summer Analyst

The process took a day - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2011.

Interview Details – I was emailed asking my availability the next day for a phone interview. During the interview I was asked mostly about my resume and behavioral questions, the only technical questions I was asked came straight from what I talked about so don't mention something if you don't really understand it or can't answer a more complicated question about it. I was invited to a final interview at their office coming up.

Interview Question – Please identify a time that caused you to greatly improve your leadership skills.   Answer Question

Worked for Goldman Sachs? Contribute to the Community!