Goldman Sachs

3.4

9 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Phone Interview:

1. Why finance?

2. What do you see as your biggest strength?

3. What are three leadership qualities that you possess that you are proud of?

4. Why do you want to work in services?

5. Why Goldman Sachs?

6. What is your weakness? - Perfectionist

7. When have you been in a leadership position?

8. When have you been in a leadership position and failed?

9. When have you been in a group environment and not been the leader?

10.Tell me about your previous work experience.

Other Interview Reviews for Goldman Sachs

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in November 2013.

I applied through a staffing agency and got a telephonic interview in the next day. They called me for a face-to-face interview at their Jersey City office. I had a 30 minute written test. Questions were tough. After that I had two round of interview. The guy who was supposed to take the third round was absent so they said I am done for the day. After few days they called me for another face-to-face interview in their NYC office. They said its for another requirement for different teams. I had two round of interview that day.They did not ask me any questions from Java except one java program. Questions were basically from Unix and database related. Again the guy who was supposed to take my third round was unavailable. That's it. I am still waiting for their feedback.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenwich, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenwich, NY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in July 2012.

There were two consecutive technical phone interviews. The first by a senior Analyst, followed by the VP.
    The first one was very easy and had questions on OO concepts and java questions. The second was tough, he was interested only in EJB concepts.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

The process took a dayinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in April 2011.

Initially chosen to do a phone screen with a very senior manager. Interview placed more emphasis on scenario based questions although some questions related to core java where thrown in there to make a initial assessment. They are quick, the phone screen when well and was immediately asked to confirm a time for a in person interview. The in person interview lasted for about close to 4 hours in total. It started with a written test and then progressed to one of one and multi person interviews with employees from various teams. The type of questions they asked were above average and they like to test your problem solving skills. Overall the people are nice, they dont care much for your personality as long as you can solve problems. I am sure personality comes in other position, but not for a programming related job. There is certainly a lot of structure to their environment and you are expected to work hard and long hours.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in October 2010.

Interview started with a written tech test, not very difficult. Then met with 6-7 individuals. They called me back for another role, but i was not interested

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in April 2010.

Got interview from a recruiter for a consultant position, face to face interview required. it took three and half hour for whole process. met three developers, one manger last. mostly technical related questions. for example: how to reverse a string recursively. also asked a few questions not Java at all CORBA and C++ because they are on my resumes. that really got me, because I did not prepare for that. Spring and Hibernate questions, for example why you get lazyinitialzationException and how to avoid it, spring design pattern...

The rate was not good

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Goldman Sachs in September 2013.

A half-hour phone interview first. Then the second interview was in 2 parts: a technical interview (about 1 hour) involving questions about java, sql, and the things I'd been working on, and a soft skills session about how you have dealt with people and situations in the past. Total of 4 interviewers in the second interview.

Interview Questions
    • JPA implementations other than hibernate   View Answer

Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in March 2013.

I received a call from HR at GS asking for a possible time to fix f2f interview. There was no telephonic interview for me as I had prior experience. It was Monday at 2PM and I went to their office by then. I waited for almost 1:30Hr at the reception for interviewer to receive me. He said that he was not aware of my interview!!

Then we entered office and entered a conference room. We waited there for another 10min as the printer was not working to have my resume print-out.

FIRST ROUND
    ----------------
    One person interview. It was for around 40min.
    The interview was full of core java questions. He was asking me of threads,marker interfaces, serialization, synchronization, Timers, deadlocks and that too basic questions.
    Also he asked for merge concept of merge sort.

He asked me about quick sort and also randomization in it without he having any idea of basic concepts of randomization. I said that I would pick a random element as pivot and swap it with the last element in the array and perform the partitioning based on it. He was saying that I may then disturb the randomness of it. I said that as the input data distribution is not known we will not be effecting the randomness and hence we can only find expectation on the complexity in randomized algorithms. He didn't understand iota of what I was saying and hence dissatisfied.

He was done with his questions and I answered all of them and was kept waiting for 20 min before the second round started.

SECOND ROUND
    -------------------
    Two person interview. It was for around 30min as they were having a meeting after finishing my interview formality.

They came and asked me basic questions on collections and few simple puzzles. They also asked me very basic thread questions and synchronization concepts.

One of the interviewer escorted me to the reception and said that HR would get back to me in a day or two. I was confident that if everything is fair I would be called for a HR round but I was bit concerned about the way the interviewers were busy and finishing off the interviews without any seriousness.

Next day I got a mail from HR that I was not selected.

OVERALL EXPERIENCE
    --------------------------
    Calling for an interview and making me wait for 1:30Hr saying that HR didn't inform them about my coming and completing the interview process as if they were in a hurry made me think that unprofessionalism can be expected from even the so called reputed companies like GS!!!!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a weekinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in December 2012.

30 minutes telephone interview. 2 hours face to face in the second round.

Interview Questions
    • How do you design the platform architecture?   View Answer