Goldman Sachs

Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer Java Interview

Software Engineer Java
New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2010.

Interview Details – I had a terrible and bitter experience. Not because of I did not get the offer – which anyway I would have rejected after the face to face interview experience. Please note – I was earlier employed by GS and then quit because I got some other challenging project. Anyway, I had 4 people taking my technical interview over the phone. Then they flew me in for face to face interview which went from 9 am to 6.30 pm. Actually 2 groups took my interview for no apparent good reason(anyway I can only work for 1 group, right?). They took so much extra time and did not give me any lunch break – I believe that is just deliberate because HR sent them the time schedule. Some guy gave me a set of java, sql questions and asked to write all programs etc in bunch of sheet(not in the computer) and then he had to go somewhere and told me someone else will grade them.

My suggestion – if you are really good, just do nt go. Because even after getting the job – mostly you will be working in Sec DB or Slang(GS proprietary language ). So, you will forget all Java C++ skills(and your market value outside will be very low) and mostly maintaining programs(because 99% projects are in maintenance mode).

Interview Questions

• draw a network topology scheme for fault tolerance for 5,10,20 DB so that each db get synced with other db   View Answer
  • you have an array and some 0 in that array. memory is so low that you can not create another array. how do you remove 0 from the array? how do you optimize it.   View Answer

Java Software Engineer Interview

Java Software Engineer
London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in June 2010.

Interview Details – Very informal telephone interview, after a couple of standard technical questions we ended up chatting about software design and performance scaling on z/OS. Invited for a round of interviews in London office including technical test (straightforward, but very time limited), then three half-hour 1:1 interviews with technical lead then two managers. Easy, low pressure, and very friendly. Then back for another round of interviews, including teleconference with New York office. Again, nothing hard.

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – Better offer elsewhere. Impressed with the people I met, but work/life balance seemed very skewed, employee I talked to informally suggested 60 hour weeks were normal. Everybody still working when I left at 8pm.

Worked for Goldman Sachs? Contribute to the Community!