Goldman Sachs Interview Questions in London, England

Updated Apr 12, 2015
Updated Apr 12, 2015

3.3

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (London, England (UK)) in May 2010.

Interview

I had a 'super-day' style interview, where I remained in one room, and a series of GS people came to interview me in turns. The themes to the interviews were: technical skills and experience, problem solving and analytical thinking, and GS fit.

Everyone I saw was very positiive about GS and what it had to offer.

Interview Questions

• Write an algorithm to rotate a node of a binary tree.   2 Answers

Trader Interview

Application

The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (London, England (UK)) in November 2008.

Interview

There was also several 'info' sessions whereby we were invited to mingle with existing employees. They said it was optional but really it was make or break. After I joined and helped with recruitment, we would stay around after event to compare notes on the candidate if they seemed intelligent, asked the right questions etc.

Interview Questions

• You have to take the CFA admist long working hours. If you fail, you are out. The work consumes your life until it becomes your life. Forget about having a social life. How do you feel about that?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

Interview

Be yourself and do not fall into the trap of provocation

Interview Questions

• Assuming you have a large cube shaped by small cubes together, their number is 1000
      How many cubes will be visible?

4 Answers

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (London, England (UK)) in January 2011.

Interview

Extremely challenging brainteasers and maths questions, two rounds of phone interview of 1 hr each. Friendly interviewer.

Interview Questions

• Find the optimal strategy to solve a specific card game.   Answer Question

Credit Risk Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (London, England (UK)) in April 2013.

Interview

Only had a first round interview with two members of the team one been a manager the other a supervisor, they did a quick fire round of questions very technical focused.

Interview Questions

• Asked me about the levels of risk to the trading systems   Answer Question

Sales Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (London, England (UK)) in October 2009.

Interview

The process lasted 2 months max but it was 2006; I applied online with no referral, approximately 16 interviews in 3/4 rounds because i was selected by three different teams. First screening was written test and then all in person interviews. I got offer from all of them

Interview Questions

• The teasers because they are always unexpected and it is difficult to understand if you are following the correct path   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation, it was pretty standard and above my expectations out of university

Junior FX Trader Interview

Interview

Please note that this was for academic year 07/08.

Recruitment for the grad programme had already ended and I think they had lost a grad on the FX desk. They were trying to fill that place post initial recruitment. Therefore this may not have been the usual process. I had no HR/competency round.

First stage:
    I had 2 one-on-one interviews and a written numerical test.
    -Interviews were with members of the desk.

Second stage:
    I had 4 one-on-one interviews, again with desk members.
    -I was rejected after these but there may have been further stages.

I'm not sure whether it was a ploy or accidental but I asked each one of my 4 interviewers for water in the second stage. They all said somebody would bring it. No one did. Pretty annoying.

In my opinion, it was the 'right' kind of process. No nonsense 'blag-able' competency questions. Well, for the most part (there was one lady that did the whole 'what 3 words would your friends use to describe you?'). Very practical process, in general. Test of knowledge, ability and mettle. At least you could sleep happy knowing that the best man/woman for the job got it.

I was mostly tested on technical knowledge of the markets. There was one very tough interview where you had to do mental arithmetic under pressure. Unlike other companies asking you how you react to pressure, this one guy put you under it and saw how you reacted. Made sense. I'm very good at mental arithmetic (and could answer them if relaxed) but struggled when bombarded with difficult questions in the interview scenario. Fair play. It told him what he needed to know.

Interview Questions

• All the interviewers had very different questions. The mental arithmetic under pressure was the hardest part.   Answer Question

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (London, England (UK)) in February 2012.

Interview

The first round was a phone interview. Fairly simple. Some questions about my resume and my motivation to join the company. After the first screening interview, I have been invited to pass a series of interviews within one afternoon. I have been interviewed by 10 different employees, each interview lasted between 30 and 45 mins. It was all about brainteaser and probability exercises. Only that.
    This is the type of questions I have been asked:
    - Suppose that you are flipping a coin endless times. What is the expected round where you would get the same side 3 consecutive times?

Interview Questions

• Assume that you have an NxN Matrix, filled with decreasing numbers if you go from left to right and from top to bottom. Can you design an efficient search algorithm on this matrix. Hint: the most efficient one should have a Log(N) complexity...   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (London, England (UK)) in February 2015.

Interview

Fairly straightforward, know your math. Know why you want the job, sell yourself as mathematicaly capable, and honestly just be friendly. Interviwers were friendly, nothing to complain there but dont be surprised if they walk out of the interview because they have a meeting

Operations Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (London, England (UK)) in March 2015.

Interview

As the standard here for London office, the first step is a telephone interview since i was in London. Two days later, I had the final interview. After two week, I am still waiting for the response. I called them up asking why they didn't post the result yet. They told me to wait for another several weeks. They didn't say that they put me on hold. I'd love to know actually do anyone here receives the response already? The final interview is on March 27th Friday.