Goldman Sachs Interview Questions in London, England

3.3

143 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in February 2013.

I applied through an online application then I had an interview (two interviewers) at their London office. It was mainly competency questions and going through my CV. They also asked a bit about current affairs. All in all I enjoyed the experience. I think it's really important for you to show that you're genuinely excited about the opportunity to work there. Find something that shows you want to work for them and not any other IB.

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Applied online in November 2013. Heard back about first round interview at the end of January. First round interview consisted of firstly an interview about an Analytical Thinking Exercise we were given when we arrived and then a competency based interview. Both interviews lasted 30 minutes. Heard back a few days later about the second round interview. It consisted of 3 30 minute interviews which were a mix of technical and competency baed questions. Waiting to hear back.

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

interviewed at Goldman Sachs in December 2012.

Was interviewed via telephone for first round. General competency questions ("tell me about yourself" etc.) but also several technical questions relating to valuation of companies

Interview Questions
    • What multiples could be relevant for valuing an oil company?   Answer Question

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

A lot of brainteasers and typical quant interview questions. Friendly interviewer.

Interview Questions
    • You have 10 mice and 1000 bottles of wine. You also have 24 hours before a party, and one of the bottles has been tainted with a slow acting poison, which takes 24 hours to kill a mouse. In the 24 hours you have remaining, how many bottles can you guarantee safe for human consumption (assume humans and mice react identically)? Assume the lethal dosage is insignificant relative to the size of the bottle.   View Answers (4)

Seasonal/Off Cycle Technology Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in March 2010.

1) applied online, submitted cv and filled in a simple 'why GS' box
    2) received an email to invite me for an interview (1 weeks notice)
    3) booked myself into a time slot - make sure you do that asap to ensure you get a good time!!!
    4) had a week to research and think of some good answers to common questions
     definetly did too much research but better too much than none
    5) attended the interview
    - there were 8 of us
    - got asked to go into a room, got provided with a scenario, paper and pen
    - got 30 mins to prepare an answers
    - 2 interviews with 2 people each time
    - 1st interview was to explain my solution
    - 2nd interview was competency based
    - both started with the interviewers introducing themselves and what they do
    - very friendly and made me feel at ease
    - ask normal questions e.g. why goldman, about your cv, work experience
    - make sure you prepare questions to ask them!!!
    - travel expenses are reimbursed so no travel costs
    - told me I would hear back within 7 days
    -- received an email to say I passed and asked to attend final interview the next day
    - would assume rejected if not heard back by the following day
    - final interview is coming week

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about yourself   View Answer
    • Why apply within this division of the investment banking industry? Why not any other business eg consulting firm?   Answer Question

Summer Analyst/Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

After applying online, I received a telephone call informing me that I had been selected for an interview. The interview involved a short discussion and some numerical/spatial reasoning tests (multiple choice). After completing this interview, I was called in for a second interview which involved discussing my experience, background and competencies with someone from a team, apparently selected by HR, with which I was going to work for the following two and a half months. The questions were simple and the interviewer very friendly. I had not prepared for this interview, but I managed to answer pretty much everything he asked me and we continued discussing several video game development related questions (he seemed to be keen on graphics software)

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult technical questions in this interview. If I had to pick one 'challenging' question, that I also found quite interesting, was to discuss, in detail, my participation and technical aspects of a project that I worked on in the past.   Answer Question

Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in February 2013.

The interview in operations came as a 'consolidation' after being rejected for Investment Management. After completing the online application I received no reply and had to contact the firm myself. Once I had contacted them they informed me that they had been planning to contact me on that very same day (3 months late...) and told me that they would like me to come for an interview for operations. The interview itself was quite generic with two interviewers and questions were focused upon self motivation and non-academic achievements.

Interview Questions
    • Explain in as much detail as possible how you were able to solve a problem during a previous internship where you had to deal with a difficult client.   View Answer

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2009.

I phone interviewed with one Exec Director and one Associate (together in a conference call). Interview was mainly about motivations. Some questions on my background and the reason I wanted to move to GS and why GS. Interviewers are fair but extremely tough (what a news!). Everything you say has to be very well reasoned. This is not the kind of interview that you do not prepare in advance...

Java Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in June 2010.

Very informal telephone interview, after a couple of standard technical questions we ended up chatting about software design and performance scaling on z/OS. Invited for a round of interviews in London office including technical test (straightforward, but very time limited), then three half-hour 1:1 interviews with technical lead then two managers. Easy, low pressure, and very friendly. Then back for another round of interviews, including teleconference with New York office. Again, nothing hard.

Interview Questions

Better offer elsewhere. Impressed with the people I met, but work/life balance seemed very skewed, employee I talked to informally suggested 60 hour weeks were normal. Everybody still working when I left at 8pm.

Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in October 2009.

I applied online in the mid of September. Heard back from them end of October. They called and gave me exact date and time for the phone interview, so no real opportunity to choose. Two interviewers were from different sub-divisions, very nice and friendly. The interview lasted for little bit more than 30 min.

Interview Questions
    • How did you get interested in IB? Why do you want to work for GS?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about your experience of working in a team. Have you ever worked with someone you had difficultiles to communicate with?   Answer Question
    • Situation when you need to make a decision without any information available   Answer Question

Worked for Goldman Sachs? Contribute to the Community!