Goldman Sachs Interview Questions in London, England

Updated May 29, 2015

3.3

Spring Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (London, England (UK)) in January 2015.

Interview

Living outside the UK, I only had 1 phone interview after submitting my online application (private info + letter of motivation + CV). However for UK residents there is a phone interview followed by an interview at the office if successful.
    The interview lasted 30 min and there was only one interviewer.

Interview Questions

• Do you follow the news? If yes, please give an example of a recent economics news that has striken you.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation phase

Spring Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (London, England (UK)) in January 2015.

Interview

Online application + 1on1 Interview on site. Whole process took around 2 months and was extremely professional. Efficient HR and provided feedback on application and interview in under one week.

Interview Questions

• Mainly questions on the market and its state. Talked also about dervivs. Also competency questions applied to real life situations. If you had 5 pieces of work for 5 MD and you didn't have time to do them what would you do?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (London, England (UK)).

Interview

I applied online after attending a divisional event. Got an email invitation to a first round interview the next morning. One 30 minute interview with a senior securities representative. CV, competency based with some brainteasers and technical questions. A knowledge of everything on your CV is essential. Expect the unexpected.

IBD Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Interview

Offered first round interview after the screening process in the London Office.
    Was asked basic competencies - Why banking, Goldman etc.
    Then was asked questions on market conditions, asked for a stock pitch, etc some technical questions.

Interview Questions

• If you could work for Goldman Sachs or take a million pounds, which would you choose and why?   Answer Question

Summer Analyst - Technology Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (London, England (UK)) in December 2014.

Interview

Applied online and a week later received an invite to go straight to their London offices for the 1st round interview which is composed by a case study followed by two 30 minute interviews.

The case study was about automatically fitting variable sized widgets into variable sized screens for a computer application. It had three questions, the first was close ended while the other two are more of a way for them to see how you think through problems. You are given 30 minutes and draft papers were you are supposed to sketch down your answers for the first interview. I did write some pseudo-code which can be a plus, however what you write down is not the most important but rather how you respond to new questions and constraints set by the interviewer regarding the case and your method. The second interview is some predefined competency questions, about you, teamwork and leadership. I was told the next day that I had made it to the next round, which took place 1 week and a half later.

The second round is composed by three 30 minute interviews and despite the email saying they would all be competency based only one happened to be so. The first interview was with a vp and despite being a normal random conversation or about something on your cv, expect questions about team work and leadership. The next two interviews were a mix of small algorithmic problems with some talk about the company and the experience of the interviewers themselves.

Every interviewer will give you time to ask questions at the end so make sure you have some, at the expense of sounding uninterested. All interviewers were young, sympathetic and helpful but don't expect them to look interested with whatever you're saying. All the recruitment process was smooth and I was very pleased with it. The time GS takes to reply may vary between candidates. They are usually fast but might also not say anything for a month and then invite you for an extra interview.

Interview Questions

• Alphabetically ordering 300MB of words with 100MB of storage. The complexity of a given sorting algorithm.   Answer Question

Regulatory Role Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at Goldman Sachs (London, England (UK)) in December 2014.

Interview

Arranged by agency one 15 minute interview for myself, a seasoned professional Regulatory BA. I found the interviewer not only very unhelpful and unfriendly, but also extremely boring in what he did manage to squeeze into his 15 minute diatribe about how great Goldmans were and how he used to be an engineer!

Interview Questions

• Not many actually, there wasn't enough time but eg:
      How did you test data at your last firm.

Answer Question

Summer Analyst - Technology Interview

Application

Interview

2 interviews: 1 analytical based about the web design and during the 2-1interview, the interviewer keep changing the condition and the requirements for the question, and ask me to write the code.

2.competency base based on CV and previous experience, teamwork.

Still waiting for response

Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (London, England (UK)) in December 2014.

Interview

2 rounds of interviews, the first round was a 2:1 panel and consisted of mainly behavioral, although try not to give the typical answers for Why GS and Why Ops. They hear these answers from 100s of others so try stand out when answering these.

2 days later I was invited to the Final round which consisted of 3 back to back interviews, all behavioral however when I myself mentioned something technical that I had read in the news they did ask follow up questions so make sure you understand anything that you talk about. All in all very friendly and well organised.

I received my offer a week later.

Interview Questions

• If you were taking 100 people from A to B, how would you go about doing it   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation, it is a graduate contract

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Online application after meeting them at a job fair. After 3 weeks invitation to first interview in their office (30min), afterwards final round of interviews (3x30min). Did not have final round yet.
    First round was purely behavioural based but nothing out of the ordinary. Show confidence and have a good story or to possibly a laugh. They want to know if it would be pleasant to work with you.

Technology Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (London, England (UK)) in November 2014.

Interview

I applied to a graduate technology analyst position online. The process consisted of two appointments in the office. First day had two interviews. There were a handful of us in the first one. We were put in an office, given sheets with an analytic exercise to solve and make notes on in 30 minutes. It was something about ways to place widgets in a screen when you know the dimensions of the screen and the widgets. No need to prepare for this, just make sure you're able to think of an algorithm and then explain it. Bonus points if you write some code/pseudo-code. Once you're done with the first task, you're taken to the interviewer and spend another 30 minutes discussing your solution. The second interview was competency based, you get asked questions about recent projects and why you want to work in a bank etc. Have to ask your own questions afterwards.
    They take a week or so to respond with your results. You then schedule a second interview. Some people get it the very next day, others end up waiting months.
    Second day consists of 3 interviews, one highly technical, two competency based. Only one other person from my initial group made it further with me. The technical interview consisted of writing code on the paper. I was asked to write a function that would count a number of bits set to 1 in an integer. Then I had to implement a binary tree data structure and write a function that would check if a given binary tree is a binary search tree. There was another question about bit manipulation and it was quite difficult, I can't remember it well though. Other two interviews were competency based, same as during the first day, just have stories prepared.

Interview Questions

• Given array of integers. Calculate the sum of differences between all elements or something like that.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Didn't negotiate. When I asked how much time I have to make a decision I was told that they have other people in line and that I should hurry up.