Goldman Sachs Interview Questions & Reviews in London, England

3.3

139 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

GIR Graduate Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in November 2013.

Simple, no assessment tests, just online form submission

Interview Questions
    • Reviewed CV and asked questions based on CV. Interview with an Associate   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in December 2013.

Applied online in November. Got asked to come for first round interview (one 30 minute interview, 2:1) in first week of December. Heard back the next day and got asked to come back for second-round interview (3 back to back 30 minute interviews, 2:1) the next week. Heard back 9 days after my second-round interviews with an offer.

Interviewers were very friendly and the process was relaxed. First round interview was with two people who were relatively new to the company. Second-round involved more senior employees/managers, etc.

Interview Questions
    • Loads of teamwork, communication, leadership questions. No technical questions but you need to know what Operations does, why Operations, why Goldman Sachs, etc. If you have good answers to these competency questions, you'll be fine.

They also like to see how you respond to mistakes/failures/difficult situations or customers, etc.
        Answer Question
    No negotiation. Accepted offer straight up.

Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in December 2013.

I have attended the first round interview and been invited to the second round. The whole interview process was very relaxed. It was a 2 to 1 and CV based interview. My interviewers were from different teams under Operations, and they have worked for Goldman for six years. In addition, the only one question which was not based on my CV was about my understanding of Operations.

Securities Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I interviewed online. The process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in November 2013.

Applied online having attended two on-campus events and heard about 3 weeks later that I was invited to the first-round. Wasn't given a lot to go on, but when I was there they said it was competency based with a few questions of 'why Goldman Sachs' etc, and that was the truth. The interviewer was very aggressive in their style and I made a few mistakes, however overall I think I actually enjoyed it and had a bit of an aderenaline rush coming out of it! I was emailed four working days later and asked to schedule my final round interview which they say is three thirty minute interviews and a mix of competency and technical questions on the interview. I have not had this yet.

Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I interviewed online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

First I did the online application. Then, I was invited for my first interview . After 1 week , I had my Second round of interviews . received an offer 24h after my last interview.

Summer Analyst (Technology) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I interviewed online. The process took 7+ weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in November 2013.

I applied online and I was invited to attend the first round interview at the end of November. First round interviews consisted of one analytical exercise which was more like a case study about computing units and how to use them in the most efficient way. Was quite easy although it became challenging when I was asked a lot of questions how I would change everything in a variety of situations. So, most importantly is not to stress and have an idea about divisions in IB and how they work. The other interview was mostly competency based where I was asked few easy technical questions and was grilled about the teamwork. So, better be prepared with teamwork examples.

After 2 working days I was invited to attend final round interviews. It was 3 competency/technical based questions. Most importantly be honest if you don't know the answer to some advanced technical question and ask to explain what the answer should be as this would show that you are willing to learn and are really interested in technology. Again they asked a lot about teamwork, stressful situations, about dealing with clients and interpersonal skills. I think most important thing is to smile and be nice as they are probably just checking if you are the right and nice person to work with. Technical questions were not so challenging for me even though I put Java, C++ and Linux as advanced in my application. The main thing they asked me was about differences between Java and C++ and which one to use in different situations. They also asked me to explain how Java garbage collector works and why is it such a useful thing. They will probably ask you to explain the main advantages of OOP, so be prepared with examples where you used it.

Since I was a bit worried about advanced technical questions, I tried to talk as much as possible about the projects I did so they would ask me about them rather than random stuff.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you think GS should make most of the trades electronically?
      Would you give up the idea if the majority of the team think different? (Both ideas are equally good)
      Why do you need to free the memory using C++?
      What were the most challenging experiences when developing an application?
        Answer Question
    No negotiation for summer interns.

Strategist Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I interviewed through a recruiter - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in August 2013.

Technical Phone Interview: the guy interviewing me was extremely young, he started off by introducing himself and the company and then he ask me to do the same, with a focuss on my PhD thesis. After that he asked me a question on options, which I solved after a couple of attempts (and here I think I lost my oppurtunities since you should always fly pver the first question), and a probablilty question which I solved correctly.

Interview Questions
    • 1) Manufacture and option from plain vanillas that makes money in case of low volatility and does not lose too much in the opposite scenario.
      2) We are in a junction. p is the probability that at least one car will pass through it within the next 20 minutes. Give me the probability that no car will pass within the next 5 minutes.
        View Answers (4)

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in November 2013.

Online application. First round consists of a small analytical exercise which you need to produce solutions for and present these solutions to an interviewer. Afterwards you will have a competency based interview as well. In the final stage, there are 3 competency based interviews, one of which is a bit more technical than the others.

Operations One Year Placement - London Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in November 2013.

I applied in October and had my first round interview last week which was two on one.
    Mainly competency based: when have you been a leader, when have you worked as part of a team.
    Why Goldman Sachs? Why Operations?

Invited for second round interview the following week.
    A bit more formal, three interviews each lasting 30mins with 2 senior members of staff.
    Mainly competency based but they really did pick your examples apart.
    Some harder questions such as how do you deal with risk and confidential information.
    What is your definition of diversity?
    Why Ops? why Goldman Sachs?
    How do you deal with technology?
    When have you ever done anything wrong and how did you solve this?
    Why are you studying Economics?
    When have you dealt with incomplete information?
    Have you ever had to deal with rumours?

The interviewers are really friendly and do make you feel at ease. No brain teasers and not really much about current affairs and no testing.
    Make sure you have good questions to ask at the end.

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Applied thorough online career website. After a month received an e-mail concerning arranging time slot for a phone interview. After a week of phone interview, received another e-mail concerning trip to London( Date was set but time of the interview is up to me). Final round was involving 3 interviews. It lasted approximately 5 hours.

Interview Questions
    • Went thorough 3 one on one interviews. All started with Resume talks and Goldman Sachs related questions( Whats it market capitalization of Goldman Sachs as of Today, etc..). All asked technical questions on M&A valuations. In one interview with MD,i was asked to analyze a case similar to consultancy cases but with lots of confusing numbers involved. In every interview, my mathematical skills were tested.   Answer Question