Goldman Sachs

3.3

151 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Technology Division Spring Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online – interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

I applied after speaking to someone at a campus recruiting event. I had the usual SHL numerical and verbal reasoning online tests and then interviews at their fleet street office a couple of weeks later. The interviews were two one-on-one, half hour interviews with no technical questions just the usual CV stuff and competencies.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever cheated or lied to get what you want? When?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in November 2013.

The first round interview focused on commercial awareness (i.e do you read the FT and do you understand the deals GS are involved in) and a few standard technicals (e.g How would you value a tech company? How do you construct and analyse a DCF?).

Second round comprised of 3*30mins interviews - one fit, one technical, and one with a MD - in my opinion, the key to these interviews is to show that you are passionate about the role and fit with the Goldman culture (team working, quick learning, and client focused). Also, know your CV inside out and be prepared to think on your feet, the interviewers will throw some curveballs at you to see how you react.

I was very impressed by the whole process - the HR team were great and the interviewers were genuinely interested and impressive.

Securities Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in November 2013.

Applied online having attended two on-campus events and heard about 3 weeks later that I was invited to the first-round. Wasn't given a lot to go on, but when I was there they said it was competency based with a few questions of 'why Goldman Sachs' etc, and that was the truth. The interviewer was very aggressive in their style and I made a few mistakes, however overall I think I actually enjoyed it and had a bit of an aderenaline rush coming out of it! I was emailed four working days later and asked to schedule my final round interview which they say is three thirty minute interviews and a mix of competency and technical questions on the interview. I have not had this yet.

Summer Analyst (Technology) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in November 2013.

I applied online and I was invited to attend the first round interview at the end of November. First round interviews consisted of one analytical exercise which was more like a case study about computing units and how to use them in the most efficient way. Was quite easy although it became challenging when I was asked a lot of questions how I would change everything in a variety of situations. So, most importantly is not to stress and have an idea about divisions in IB and how they work. The other interview was mostly competency based where I was asked few easy technical questions and was grilled about the teamwork. So, better be prepared with teamwork examples.

After 2 working days I was invited to attend final round interviews. It was 3 competency/technical based questions. Most importantly be honest if you don't know the answer to some advanced technical question and ask to explain what the answer should be as this would show that you are willing to learn and are really interested in technology. Again they asked a lot about teamwork, stressful situations, about dealing with clients and interpersonal skills. I think most important thing is to smile and be nice as they are probably just checking if you are the right and nice person to work with. Technical questions were not so challenging for me even though I put Java, C++ and Linux as advanced in my application. The main thing they asked me was about differences between Java and C++ and which one to use in different situations. They also asked me to explain how Java garbage collector works and why is it such a useful thing. They will probably ask you to explain the main advantages of OOP, so be prepared with examples where you used it.

Since I was a bit worried about advanced technical questions, I tried to talk as much as possible about the projects I did so they would ask me about them rather than random stuff.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you think GS should make most of the trades electronically?
      Would you give up the idea if the majority of the team think different? (Both ideas are equally good)
      Why do you need to free the memory using C++?
      What were the most challenging experiences when developing an application?
        Answer Question
    No negotiation for summer interns.

Operations One Year Placement - London Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in November 2013.

I applied in October and had my first round interview last week which was two on one.
    Mainly competency based: when have you been a leader, when have you worked as part of a team.
    Why Goldman Sachs? Why Operations?

Invited for second round interview the following week.
    A bit more formal, three interviews each lasting 30mins with 2 senior members of staff.
    Mainly competency based but they really did pick your examples apart.
    Some harder questions such as how do you deal with risk and confidential information.
    What is your definition of diversity?
    Why Ops? why Goldman Sachs?
    How do you deal with technology?
    When have you ever done anything wrong and how did you solve this?
    Why are you studying Economics?
    When have you dealt with incomplete information?
    Have you ever had to deal with rumours?

The interviewers are really friendly and do make you feel at ease. No brain teasers and not really much about current affairs and no testing.
    Make sure you have good questions to ask at the end.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in November 2013.

Online application. First round consists of a small analytical exercise which you need to produce solutions for and present these solutions to an interviewer. Afterwards you will have a competency based interview as well. In the final stage, there are 3 competency based interviews, one of which is a bit more technical than the others.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in November 2013.

Very friendly interviewers. They seemed like they were rooting for you and hoping that you would succeed rather than looking for a reason to throw you out!
    Since I go to school outside of the UK my first interview was over the phone. Very straightforward, I got asked the big three; Why you?, Why GS?, Why IBD?. Know your CV and be prepared to tall your story and you'll be fine.
    Second round was three 30min interviews. Once again rather straightforward, little to no technical questions. I did have a few brainteasers though.

Interview Questions
    • If a copper company had wrapped a ribbon of copper all the way around the earth and then they had to raise it up by 1m at every point how much more copper would they need?   View Answer

Operations Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in November 2013.

Interview set up by a recruiter for a specialist role. When I turned up for first interview realised it was a broader role. Not sure if spec provided was accurate or recruiter misled. Interview one was scheduled for 30 mins and was more about me and my goals, experiences and knowledge of GS. Questions straight forward and lasted about 45 mins.

Second interview also scheduled for 30 mins. With two senior managers who asked similar questions to interview 1 but wanted more concise answers. Also tested my ability to think with challenging questions. Interview cut off at 30 mins exactly.

Interview Questions
    • How many ping pong balls fit in a 747? This question caught me of guard as was not expecting any trick questions in the second interview   Answer Question

GIR Graduate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in November 2013.

Simple, no assessment tests, just online form submission

Interview Questions
    • Reviewed CV and asked questions based on CV. Interview with an Associate   Answer Question

Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Goldman Sachs in September 2013.

A half-hour phone interview first. Then the second interview was in 2 parts: a technical interview (about 1 hour) involving questions about java, sql, and the things I'd been working on, and a soft skills session about how you have dealt with people and situations in the past. Total of 4 interviewers in the second interview.

Interview Questions
    • JPA implementations other than hibernate   View Answer