Goldman Sachs Interview Questions in London, England

3.3

141 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in December 2012.

First round: one 1:1 interview with a vice president from the division, competency-based questions lasting 30 minutes, went over CV

Final round: 3 back-to-back interviews (with 1-2 vice presidents from the division), competency-based questions lasting around 30 minutes for each interview, went over CV

There was a one-week gap between the first round and final round for me.

All quite straight-forward - no technical questions or brain teasers. Interviewers were very nice and friendly. Personally, I think the interview process puts a huge focus on seeing if your personality is the right fit with the firm's culture (eg. team player, enthusiastic, shows initiative).

Economist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in May 2012.

First interview: 45 min with an economist of Global investment research, Second interview (some days later): 45 min with the same economist and a Managing Director. Brief chat with another economist about my PhD research. Example of questions: : Tell me briefly about your PhD thesis and your main paper. Should Central Bank act when house prices are rising?What econometric techniques do you use in your thesis?

Interview Questions
    • What’s the endgame for the Euro zone? Break up or no break up? Should you buy a house in Brussels?   Answer Question

Finance Controller Year PLacement Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Had a first round interview - asked mostly about my motivation and understanding of the role. Went through my CV and elaborated on a few points. I was asked to introduce myself in two minutes at the beginning.

Second round was three 30 min interviews with different people from the division. Two of them were competency based and were "Tell me a time" when you were a leader, worked in a team, faced unexpected change, helped somebody, etc.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to explain derivatives, bond and equity pricing.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in April 2012.

I had about 8 interviews. No kidding

Interview Questions
    • You are given two eggs, and access to a 100-storey building. Both eggs are identical. The aim is to find out the highest floor from which an egg will not break when dropped out of a window from that floor. If an egg is dropped and does not break, it is undamaged and can be dropped again. However, once an egg is broken, that’s it for that egg.

If an egg breaks when dropped from floor n, then it would also have broken from any floor above that. If an egg survives a fall, then it will survive any fall shorter than that.

The question is: What strategy should you adopt to minimize the number egg drops it takes to find the solution?. (And what is the worst case for the number of drops it will take?)
        View Answer

M&A Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Applied online for the Securities division but was invited for an IBD interview.
    Fairly standard questions around my CV, my University work, my work experience and my motivations for working in finance. .

Graduate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

I interviewed for a position in GSAM, graduate programme after applying on the website. Transparent process with 3 interview rounds (mix of behavioural and technical questions). I was invited to the last round but did not get an offer. i think the main reason I did not get an offer was that I did not know enough about the firm's culture and this is very important if you interview at Goldman Sachs. You are expected to demonstrate leadership and not be too vague about your previous experience.

Interview Questions
    • As long as you are confident discussing your interest for the asset management industry and have a good understanding of finance and economics, technical questions should not be an issue. However, I recommend you revise your knowledge about the culture of the organization as behavioural questions can be trickier than you would expect.   Answer Question

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in June 2013.

Had an interview with Brain teaser and probability questions

Asked the 100 sided die question and pirate sharing wealth question

Credit Risk Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in April 2013.

Only had a first round interview with two members of the team one been a manager the other a supervisor, they did a quick fire round of questions very technical focused.

Interview Questions
    • Asked me about the levels of risk to the trading systems   Answer Question

Sn Analyst Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Just Technical question , 30 mins. Friendly.

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in December 2012.

1 phone interview, final day with 3 interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Hard brainteaser that I can't remember details now, it was very specific and could only be solved by backward induction... But interviewer guided me nicely through the process making it solvable! Just don't freak out, start some reasoning (even if its not the right one) and they will start helping you ultimately.   Answer Question
    No negotiation, they give 2 weeks to accept (which I extended to 3 because of other recruiting processes so don't give in to the initial pressure and take ur time)