Goldman Sachs

Relevance Date Difficulty

Finance Controller Year PLacement Interview

Finance Controller Year PLacement

Interviewed at Goldman Sachs

Interview Details – Had a first round interview - asked mostly about my motivation and understanding of the role. Went through my CV and elaborated on a few points. I was asked to introduce myself in two minutes at the beginning.

Second round was three 30 min interviews with different people from the division. Two of them were competency based and were "Tell me a time" when you were a leader, worked in a team, faced unexpected change, helped somebody, etc.

Interview Question – I was asked to explain derivatives, bond and equity pricing.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in April 2012.

Interview Details – I had about 8 interviews. No kidding

Interview Question – You are given two eggs, and access to a 100-storey building. Both eggs are identical. The aim is to find out the highest floor from which an egg will not break when dropped out of a window from that floor. If an egg is dropped and does not break, it is undamaged and can be dropped again. However, once an egg is broken, that’s it for that egg.

If an egg breaks when dropped from floor n, then it would also have broken from any floor above that. If an egg survives a fall, then it will survive any fall shorter than that.

The question is: What strategy should you adopt to minimize the number egg drops it takes to find the solution?. (And what is the worst case for the number of drops it will take?)
  View Answer

M&A Analyst Interview

M&A Analyst

Interviewed at Goldman Sachs

Interview Details – Applied online for the Securities division but was invited for an IBD interview.
Fairly standard questions around my CV, my University work, my work experience and my motivations for working in finance. .

Interview Question – Why M&A?
Why GS?
  Answer Question

Graduate Interview

Graduate
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview Details – I interviewed for a position in GSAM, graduate programme after applying on the website. Transparent process with 3 interview rounds (mix of behavioural and technical questions). I was invited to the last round but did not get an offer. i think the main reason I did not get an offer was that I did not know enough about the firm's culture and this is very important if you interview at Goldman Sachs. You are expected to demonstrate leadership and not be too vague about your previous experience.

Interview Question – As long as you are confident discussing your interest for the asset management industry and have a good understanding of finance and economics, technical questions should not be an issue. However, I recommend you revise your knowledge about the culture of the organization as behavioural questions can be trickier than you would expect.   Answer Question

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Quantitative Analyst
London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in June 2013.

Interview Details – Had an interview with Brain teaser and probability questions

Asked the 100 sided die question and pirate sharing wealth question

Interview Question – 100 sided die question was difficult   View Answers (2)

Very Difficult Interview

Credit Risk Analyst Interview

Credit Risk Analyst
London, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in April 2013.

Interview Details – Only had a first round interview with two members of the team one been a manager the other a supervisor, they did a quick fire round of questions very technical focused.

Interview Question – Asked me about the levels of risk to the trading systems   Answer Question

Sn Analyst Developer Interview

Sn Analyst Developer

Interviewed at Goldman Sachs

Interview Details – Just Technical question , 30 mins. Friendly.

Summer Analyst Interview

Summer Analyst
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in December 2012.

Interview Details – 1 phone interview, final day with 3 interviews.

Interview Question – Hard brainteaser that I can't remember details now, it was very specific and could only be solved by backward induction... But interviewer guided me nicely through the process making it solvable! Just don't freak out, start some reasoning (even if its not the right one) and they will start helping you ultimately.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, they give 2 weeks to accept (which I extended to 3 because of other recruiting processes so don't give in to the initial pressure and take ur time)

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Quantitative Analyst
London, England (UK)

I applied online and interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview Details – A lot of brainteasers and typical quant interview questions. Friendly interviewer.

Interview Question – You have 10 mice and 1000 bottles of wine. You also have 24 hours before a party, and one of the bottles has been tainted with a slow acting poison, which takes 24 hours to kill a mouse. In the 24 hours you have remaining, how many bottles can you guarantee safe for human consumption (assume humans and mice react identically)? Assume the lethal dosage is insignificant relative to the size of the bottle.   View Answers (4)

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in February 2013.

Interview Details – 2 rounds of interviewed and didnt make it through to the next round. The questions were both technical and background oriented. Many questions about the market and specifically pension schemes in the UK. A lot of emphasis on team work and how I could demonstrate that from my previous experiences.

Interview Question – Describe private equity to a librarian.   Answer Question