Goldman Sachs

3.3

85 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Operations Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

I was contacted by a Goldman Sachs internal recruiter who had a position that I was interested in. She forwarded my resume to another recruiter who approved it and sent it over to the hiring team. It was also approved by the hiring team and they brought me in for 4 initial interviews with members of the CMO team. It was 4 interviews with 4 different individuals each lasting 30 minutes each. The interviews were fairly straight forward nothing really too tricky. I was then invited back a few days later for 4 more interviews with 4 senior members of the team including two VPs. After these interviews I was scheduled to have a call with HR. This call was scheduled and then rescheduled and then cancelled. I was later called by one of the aforementioned recruiters and told that "Due to budget constraints they would not be filling the position this year". I don't know if this was just being nice or it is actually the true story. Anyway it struck me as extremely unprofessional to bring me into 8 separate interviews for a position they never intended on filling. It was an interesting process with Goldman Sachs but I was not happy with the end result and I doubt I will look for opportunities inside the company again.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

I applied through other source – interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

The interview process was 4 back-to-back interviews which were a half hour each. However, the interviews were quite informal and were all behavioral questions. It was a little tiring talking about yourself with 4 different groups of people but it was quite laid back. Luckily I signed up for the interview slot where there was a 45 minute break for lunch so that was nice to have. Otherwise, not a bad process whatsoever.

Interview Questions
    • What did you do when you had a to make a difficult decision?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in October 2014.

They recruit actively at my school, so a week after dropping off my resume I was sent an email to complete the online application. Two hours after I completed it (make sure you are very thorough and specific, there is a minor cover letter requirement which I recommend paying careful attention to), I was invited to Superday.

Hassle-free interview process (logistically), just follow instructions and reach out with any questions. HR is extremely efficient with communication. I only wish that their reimbursement process was faster, otherwise firm covers all travel, meal, lodging expenses.

4 interviews, 30 minutes each, back-to-back, with senior staff. Round-Robin esque. Interviewed alongside 7 other candidates (mainly from Ivy League/big-name schools, but don't lose your confidence). Interviewed on Wednesday, was given a phone call the following Monday morning.

Summer Analyst - Technology Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in October 2014.

1. College Fair Booth - Submitted paper resume on a whim; had to wait in line for 40 mins just to do so!
    2. Attended special GS event on campus - networked, engaged employees in conversation, and again, emailed resume afterwards.
    3. Invited to on-campus (college) interview. 1:1 interview about designing a scheduling algorithm.
    4. Invited to on-site interview (Jersey City, NJ). Had two 2:1 interviews. First technical, second behavioral. Afterwards was a networking session with 2-3 young employees in the division.
    5. Called and given offer, then FedEx'd written offer.

Interview Questions
    • Technical Inteview: "Write a program to test a computer."

That's it. No explanation. I guess it's interesting to see how one tackles this...

View Answer
    • Technical Interview: Describe Quicksort.   View Answer
    I didn't negotiate - I was happy with what they offered.

Summer Analyst - Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in October 2014.

Attended info session at my university about Operations and applied online. Heard back from HR that GS was interested in me and they paid my train ticket to interview in Jersey City, NJ office for a Superday. 2 30-minute interviews 2:1 with associates & VPs. Mostly behavioral. Nothing technical or that completely threw me off. Haven't heard back yet but feel that the interview went well.

Interview Questions
    • Asked to walk through resume.
      Give a leadership experience.
      Experience with most analytical exposure.
      Why Goldman.
      Why Operations.

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in October 2014.

i was only asked behavioral questions, no technical questions. They hire different majors and you don't necesseraly need to be the best to get hired. On the contrary, they'd rather hire someone that is less experienced and has less ambitions, because these people generally stay within operations division longer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in May 2014.

Went in the superday interviews at the Jersey City office. Three half hour back to back interviews with VPs and MD. No technical questions just behavioral. Thought the interview went well but got a call saying they will not be continuing with my application.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in April 2014.

Applied online, received an email from a recruiter a few days later, indicated my interest, attended a Superday (3, 30 min interviews with 2 interviewers each), and received an offer 2 weeks later.

The entire process, including background check, takes a long time (~ 2 months) but patience is a virtue...

Interview Questions
    Not too much room for negotiation but the offer was fair.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in March 2014.

Did the phone interview, went really well. Got an email few days later for super day at the ops headquarters in jersey city. The recruiters were very helpful. The email included a list of 3 opportunities I was being considered for. I was very well prepared, interviewers said I was over qualified for the positions. 3 30 min interviews. Mostly behavioral questions. Contacted the recruiter after waiting for 3 weeks. Got a call on the 4th week and didn't get an offer

Summer Services Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in February 2014.

In October or so, I applied on the GS website for this job, submitting my resume and cover letter. In December, I had a phone interview with two members of the services team, after which I was told I would be alerted to my status in a few weeks. About three weeks later, I was told that I was invited back for a superday a month later, and I heard back the results of the superday within a week.

Interview Questions
    • One of the ways that they kept me on my toes was by NOT starting with the classic question asking about resume in general or “Tell me about yourself.”
      1. Why finance? (No time to think as they are asking the question, just a rapid-fire, unexpected first question)
      2. Not applicable to everyone...
      3. What do you see as your biggest strength?
      4. What are three leadership qualities that you possess that you are proud of?
      5. Why do you want to work in services?
      6. Why Goldman Sachs?
      7. What is your weakness?
      8. When have you been in a leadership position?
      9. When have you been in a leadership position and failed?
      10. When have you been in a group environment and not been the leader?
      a. How did you feel then? What did you do?
      11. Who is your role model?
      a. Why?
      12. Not applicable to everyone...
      13. Tell me a bit about your experience abroad
      14. Run me through your resume
      a. They asked very resume-specific questions, going through each item on my resume
      15. If I had to ask your teachers for one word to describe you, what would they say?
      16. If I had to ask your friends for one word to describe you, what would they say?
      17. If I had to ask the students that you tutor for one word to describe you, what would they say?
      18. Tell me about your previous work experience