Goldman Sachs Interview Questions in New Jersey

Updated Apr 21, 2015

3.2

Veteran's Integration Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (Jersey City, NJ) in February 2015.

Interview

The process begins with an online application and is open to only Veterans of the US or some other foreign militaries. You must be recently out of the service or nearing the end of your enlistment.

1st- Online application and resume screen. If you pass this, you will receive an e-mail that you will be moving on in the process and provided details to schedule your 1:1 phone interview

2nd- Phone interview with VP or Managing Director at the firm. This was mostly a FIT interview which started with a walk through of your resume, followed by some clarifying questions, and leading into the standard interview questions relating to your experiences, leadership, strengths, weaknesses, and why you want to be in the industry for which you applied.

3rd- On site interview in whichever office you applied (New York/New Jersey, Dallas, or Salt Lake City). This is the final round and Superday for the program. Candidates are flown to their respective city and all travel expenses are provided including a company credit card, which makes the claim process much easier on the back side. The dress is business formal and everyone seemed to look the part. When you arrive you will be given your itinerary for the day and the groups you will interview with at including what time and location (several interview rooms). In some cases, candidates will be called in order to conduct a follow-on interview with a certain group, but for the most part, everyone had 2-3 30 min interviews per group they were applying.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Goldman Sachs?
      What do you want to work in this particular group?
      Walk us through your resume
      What financial event in the previous year was particularly interesting to you and why?
      What is a bond?
      What is enterprise value?
      Where do you see yourself within the firm?

Veterans Integration Program Interview

Application

Interview

I applied for three divisions online in mid-December and received an email in the first week of January. I scheduled the phone interview within the next week, and it took 50 minutes to run through my resume, my interest in finance, behavioral questions, and questions for my interviewer. Within two weeks I received an invitation to a superday in Jersey City with one of the divisions I had applied to and one additional division. There was one follow-up video interview with a VP. I was cut from the program in mid-February.

Operations Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Jersey City, NJ) in January 2015.

Interview

I had 2 30 min 2-on-1 interviews. They were relatively informal and were easier than expected, they just wanted to get to know you and see if you'd fit in. No technical questions or any brain teasers. Asked to speak about myself, why I wanted to work there, and asked me about some things off of my resume. Know how to speak about yourself professionally and gear it towards to job. I thought I did poorly but got a call a week and a half later saying I got an offer.

Summer Analyst – Operations Department Interview

Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (Jersey City, NJ) in January 2015.

Interview

3 phone screenings
    1 superday in Jersey City

And other behavioral questions. The interviews were all exclusively behavioral questions and questions about my resume. Ask them questions throughout the interview, and turn the interview into more of a conversation. Have 1-3 well-thought out questions to ask them at the end of the interview.

I practiced a lot so I was really comfortable talking about myself and past experiences, and that's why it was probably an easy interview. The culture in GS ops seems polar to the stereotypical front office culture. The interviewers were extremely kind. They offered me about $12,000 for the summer, including the housing stipend ($25/hr). I declined because I received an offer to intern at Google. Good luck!

Interview Questions

• "Tell me about yourself"
      "Why GS?"
      "Why ops?"
      "Tell me about a time when you led a team"
      "What are you most proud of on your resume?"

Services Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (Jersey City, NJ) in January 2015.

Interview

I went to a few of their campus events to network, I'm an engineering student. I applied online afterwards. A month and half later I got an email that I got a phone interview with Services. The interview itself was behavioral and not intimidating at all. A few days later I got invited to the superday. I arrived, and found out the interview was 5 30 minute back-to-back interviews, each interview had two people (a man and woman). The questions were very behavioral, and the people were incredibly kind. They tended to ask the same questions in each room. I got a call a week later with an offer.

Interview Questions

• Who is your idol?
      What part of services would you like to work in the most?
      Describe a time where you had trouble with a group member.
      Describe a moral decision you had to make at one point.

Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Jersey City, NJ).

Interview

The interview process was 4 back-to-back interviews which were a half hour each. However, the interviews were quite informal and were all behavioral questions. It was a little tiring talking about yourself with 4 different groups of people but it was quite laid back. Luckily I signed up for the interview slot where there was a 45 minute break for lunch so that was nice to have. Otherwise, not a bad process whatsoever.

Interview Questions

• What did you do when you had a to make a difficult decision?   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Jersey City, NJ) in November 2014.

Interview

Applied online and was invited to interview at the New Jersey office for their super day. I had 3 back to back interviews with one managing director and 2 VP's. The first interview was more conversational and the second and third were more traditional were I was asked typical interview questions. The third interviewer tested my knowledge of stock valuation. The second interviewer asked my what stock I am following and I had to defend it why it was a good pick. GS paid for all expenses. I was called 2 days later and was denied a position.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?
      Tell me how you valuate a stock.

Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (Jersey City, NJ) in October 2014.

Interview

They recruit actively at my school, so a week after dropping off my resume I was sent an email to complete the online application. Two hours after I completed it (make sure you are very thorough and specific, there is a minor cover letter requirement which I recommend paying careful attention to), I was invited to Superday.

Hassle-free interview process (logistically), just follow instructions and reach out with any questions. HR is extremely efficient with communication. I only wish that their reimbursement process was faster, otherwise firm covers all travel, meal, lodging expenses.

4 interviews, 30 minutes each, back-to-back, with senior staff. Round-Robin esque. Interviewed alongside 7 other candidates (mainly from Ivy League/big-name schools, but don't lose your confidence). Interviewed on Wednesday, was given a phone call the following Monday morning.

Summer Analyst - Operations Interview

Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (Jersey City, NJ) in October 2014.

Interview

Attended info session at my university about Operations and applied online. Heard back from HR that GS was interested in me and they paid my train ticket to interview in Jersey City, NJ office for a Superday. 2 30-minute interviews 2:1 with associates & VPs. Mostly behavioral. Nothing technical or that completely threw me off. Haven't heard back yet but feel that the interview went well.

Interview Questions

• Asked to walk through resume.
      Give a leadership experience.
      Experience with most analytical exposure.
      Why Goldman.
      Why Operations.

Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (Jersey City, NJ) in October 2014.

Interview

i was only asked behavioral questions, no technical questions. They hire different majors and you don't necesseraly need to be the best to get hired. On the contrary, they'd rather hire someone that is less experienced and has less ambitions, because these people generally stay within operations division longer