Goldman Sachs Interview Questions in New York City, NY

3.3

413 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Technical Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in February 2014.

I had 14 interviews! One with each of my team members, and one each with a "sister" team member. Everyone conveyed one idea in common - Everybody helps everybody out. They were correct. And I was convinced that I want to join.
    Don't expect to get paid much in the beginning. If at all you get paid "well", it will only be after a few good years.

Interview Questions
    • A few fancy puzzles. A few mathematics questions that I hadn't thought about in over 10 years.   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied in-person. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in October 2013.

There was a Phone interview, as well as back-to-back in-person interviews with two employees in each interview. With the in-person interviews, the groups interviewing were increasingly senior with each interview, as well as increasingly hard to impress. Expect each interview to get harder and harder, although this is a good way of working your way up to the final interview and getting warmed up rather than doing it right away. Amazing company to work for, and even more amazing people to work with!

Interview Questions
    • What is your opinion on the Fed continuing QE3 this last September meeting?   Answer Question

Analyst/Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2013.

very standard phone screen, highly technical, ask about most changeling project so far.
    also basic c++ questions, vtable, data structure, constructor/destructor, smart pointer, base class,
    python vs c++
    didn't get the second round

Summer Analyst - Technology Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in October 2013.

Went to a school career fair where I was approached and had a good conversation with a VP. Went to an interview at the school career center with another VP, and they next day they told me I was flying out to New York in a week. Went there and had a great (but tiring day) interviewing with 3 teams and over 10 people.

Electronic Trading Sales: NY Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied in-person - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2010.

had 4 interviews ,was expected to go up to 20! classical interview, usual questions, was informed they did not need a European. Pleasant people, met the head of the department and a couple of sales people.surprisingly average people typical New York:like Bronx, good professionals but not that special.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in November 2010.

First interview was with Hiring VP. Second interview was with Team Leader of specific project and how I would complete a task. Team players were present at the interview and provided input and questions. Third interview with direct report MD. Discussed first two interviews and what current staff thought and their decisions.

Interview Questions
    • Completing given task with other team members present....   Answer Question
    like any other, additional money past a certain number of hours worked in a day, receive same perks as VP's

GSAM Legal Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in March 2014.

I went through a telephone screening interview with an on-site recruiter, and was then given an interview schedule. I interviewed with six different people: 2 VPs, then 2 analysts, then 2 separate analysts. I was never given notice when I was not hired, I had to contact the recruitment representative. However, I have since been given the opportunity to interview in a different position which more closely matches my skill set, so the (very brief) thank-you letters may have been helpful.

Interview Questions
    • There were not any unexpected questions, my biggest mistake was not remembering names of people I'd met thus far. Pay CLOSE attention to the names of everyone you meet from the time you enter the building.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Jersey City, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in April 2014.

Applied online, received an email from a recruiter a few days later, indicated my interest, attended a Superday (3, 30 min interviews with 2 interviewers each), and received an offer 2 weeks later.

The entire process, including background check, takes a long time (~ 2 months) but patience is a virtue...

Interview Questions
    Not too much room for negotiation but the offer was fair.

Machine Learning - Human Capital Management (HCM) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2014.

I applied to the recruiter webpage and got called by her. She asked me if I was interested in switching to this role because I am originally a Computer Vision Engineer. I said yes and she scheduled me an interview. First interview was hard and second slightly easier. The position was put on a hold and I didn't follow back afterwards.

Interview Questions
    • First interview:
      1. Improve the product google glass by identifying objects in scene and populating information about it on screen.
      2. How to efficiently index a book based on words

Second Interview:
      1. SQL - write a query to extract the first occurrences of sales according to person name (I am not very experienced in SQL and my answer might not have been very good. But he realized that about my background and moved on to programming questions).
      2. Write a function to find the 2nd highest number in an array - Easy to solve.
      3. Write a function to find the nth highest number - I kept giving solutions and he asked me to improve the time complexity at each step.
      First step - use quick sort to find nth order statistic
      Second step - to sort the function by merge sort and return nth order statistic.
      Third step - if this function is called over and over again, use a hash table to store sorted version of array and return the nth statistic.
      4. How to efficiently index a book based on words
      5. Probability question: There's one box - has 12 black and 12 red cards, 2nd box has 24 black and 24 red; if you want to draw 2 cards at random from one of the 2 boxes, which box has the higher probability of getting the same color? He added, can you tell intuitively why the 2nd box has a higher probability - My solution was that at a step when you remove a card, say a red one, the second box still has a higher probability of drawing a red card than the first box and he said it is right.
        Answer Question

Analyst (Intern) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in July 2011.

Interview process took 2 weeks and was very straight forward. You will be expected to have relevant industry knowledge and a good understanding of what they do. You should also be able to explain why you are choosing goldman over another similar company while outlining why you are a good fit for them as well.

Interview Questions
    • Name a current issue in the news that will affect business at goldman   View Answer

Another offer was more geographically relevant

Worked for Goldman Sachs? Contribute to the Community!