Goldman Sachs Interview Questions in New York City, NY

Updated Mar 15, 2015

3.3

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online – interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

I got three phone interviews before a super day. The three phone calls were from people in different teams.
    After passing the first round interviews, I received the super day invitation. The super day included three conversations with three people.

Interview Questions
    • What's your biggest failure?
      What's your passion?
      What influence do you think the QE in Europe will have?

Answer Question

Executive Office Brand and Content Management Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

First-round phone interview, second-round (which was also the final round) brought to NYC offices. Phone interview was around 30m and asked basic fit/resume questions, as well as thoughts on GS's public presence. Second-round fly-in interviews were held with 3 people in that office, and went over more resume/fit questions as well as thoughts on the job/work you'd have to be doing there.

Interview Questions
    • What would be your biggest reservation coming into this job?   Answer Question

Quant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

The interview consisted of an HR screen followed by technical phone screen by a hiring manager. The HR screen was straightforward. The technical phone screen was as expected. I chose another offer before it went any further.

Economist Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online – interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview in HQ. The competition is stiff. Some round of interviews with panel. Make sure you are update with current issues in macroeconomics and international finance. Apply economic theory and logic to real world problem

Interview Questions
    • Mostly applied macreconomics and international finance   Answer Question

Financial Analyst - Private Wealth Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Three fit interviews with associates and vice presidents. There were some mathematic components and some very basic market question, but the largest focus was put on the fit. You have to be a generally likable and extrovert person, since the work is so client focused. Don't compare it with other parts of the division or the larger firm, I've heard of different people who tried to take this route and failed to get an offer.

Veteran's Integration Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in February 2015.

The process begins with an online application and is open to only Veterans of the US or some other foreign militaries. You must be recently out of the service or nearing the end of your enlistment.

1st- Online application and resume screen. If you pass this, you will receive an e-mail that you will be moving on in the process and provided details to schedule your 1:1 phone interview

2nd- Phone interview with VP or Managing Director at the firm. This was mostly a FIT interview which started with a walk through of your resume, followed by some clarifying questions, and leading into the standard interview questions relating to your experiences, leadership, strengths, weaknesses, and why you want to be in the industry for which you applied.

3rd- On site interview in whichever office you applied (New York/New Jersey, Dallas, or Salt Lake City). This is the final round and Superday for the program. Candidates are flown to their respective city and all travel expenses are provided including a company credit card, which makes the claim process much easier on the back side. The dress is business formal and everyone seemed to look the part. When you arrive you will be given your itinerary for the day and the groups you will interview with at including what time and location (several interview rooms). In some cases, candidates will be called in order to conduct a follow-on interview with a certain group, but for the most part, everyone had 2-3 30 min interviews per group they were applying.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work for Goldman Sachs?
      What do you want to work in this particular group?
      Walk us through your resume
      What financial event in the previous year was particularly interesting to you and why?
      What is a bond?
      What is enterprise value?
      Where do you see yourself within the firm?

Answer Question

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in February 2015.

The medium is the message. The interviewer cares less about your answer to this question and more about the confidence, enthusiasm and passion with which you answer it.The speed of the response is the response. The biggest mistake you could make is pausing, stalling or fumbling at the onset of your answer, thus demonstrating a lack of self-awareness and self-esteem.

Summer Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in February 2015.

Applied through school and had first round interviews on campus. Second round interviews in the office. Asked a variety of questions, ranging from fit/behavioral to brainteasers and questions about the markets.

Interview Questions
    • What is happening with oil prices? Why would country X want to continue production of oil?   Answer Question

Veterans Integration Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

I applied for three divisions online in mid-December and received an email in the first week of January. I scheduled the phone interview within the next week, and it took 50 minutes to run through my resume, my interest in finance, behavioral questions, and questions for my interviewer. Within two weeks I received an invitation to a superday in Jersey City with one of the divisions I had applied to and one additional division. There was one follow-up video interview with a VP. I was cut from the program in mid-February.

Summer Technology Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in February 2015.

Two 45 min interview. Recruiters are nice. Asked Palindrome, implement queue using stake, or stack use queue. Also about balanced Scale problem, and a hashtable one. Mostly behavior questions, talk about the project and backgrounds. I am a hardware engineer, they seem not interested in me that much.

Interview Questions
    • How to check if a strong is palindrome?   View Answer