Goldman Sachs

Relevance Date Difficulty

Legal Analyst Interview

Legal Analyst
New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in May 2014.

Interview Details – I applied through an on-site recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in May and June 2014.

First round, I went through a telephone screening interview with an on-site recruiter. Second round, I had an on-site interview with four members of the team: 1 MD , 3 VPs. Third round, it was again onsite with six members: 3 MDs, 1 VP, 2 Analysts. Fourth and final round, I met with the hiring manager. I was never given notice when I was not hired, so I had to contact the recruitment representative.

Interview Question – The questions were pretty standard (tell me about yourself, why do you want this job...). Just know your resume and be able to articulate why you are there!   Answer Question

Electronic Trading Sales: NY Interview

Electronic Trading Sales: NY
New York, NY

I applied in-person - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2010.

Interview Details – had 4 interviews ,was expected to go up to 20! classical interview, usual questions, was informed they did not need a European. Pleasant people, met the head of the department and a couple of sales people.surprisingly average people typical New York:like Bronx, good professionals but not that special.

Interview Question – straightforward questions.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
New York, NY

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in November 2010.

Interview Details – First interview was with Hiring VP. Second interview was with Team Leader of specific project and how I would complete a task. Team players were present at the interview and provided input and questions. Third interview with direct report MD. Discussed first two interviews and what current staff thought and their decisions.

Interview Question – Completing given task with other team members present....   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – like any other, additional money past a certain number of hours worked in a day, receive same perks as VP's

GSAM Legal Analyst Interview

GSAM Legal Analyst
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in March 2014.

Interview Details – I went through a telephone screening interview with an on-site recruiter, and was then given an interview schedule. I interviewed with six different people: 2 VPs, then 2 analysts, then 2 separate analysts. I was never given notice when I was not hired, I had to contact the recruitment representative. However, I have since been given the opportunity to interview in a different position which more closely matches my skill set, so the (very brief) thank-you letters may have been helpful.

Interview Question – There were not any unexpected questions, my biggest mistake was not remembering names of people I'd met thus far. Pay CLOSE attention to the names of everyone you meet from the time you enter the building.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Associate
Jersey City, NJ

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in April 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online, received an email from a recruiter a few days later, indicated my interest, attended a Superday (3, 30 min interviews with 2 interviewers each), and received an offer 2 weeks later.

The entire process, including background check, takes a long time (~ 2 months) but patience is a virtue...

Interview Question – Walk us through your entire resume.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not too much room for negotiation but the offer was fair.

Machine Learning - Human Capital Management (HCM) Interview

Machine Learning - Human Capital Management (HCM)
New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2014.

Interview Details – I applied to the recruiter webpage and got called by her. She asked me if I was interested in switching to this role because I am originally a Computer Vision Engineer. I said yes and she scheduled me an interview. First interview was hard and second slightly easier. The position was put on a hold and I didn't follow back afterwards.

Interview Question – First interview:
1. Improve the product google glass by identifying objects in scene and populating information about it on screen.
2. How to efficiently index a book based on words

Second Interview:
1. SQL - write a query to extract the first occurrences of sales according to person name (I am not very experienced in SQL and my answer might not have been very good. But he realized that about my background and moved on to programming questions).
2. Write a function to find the 2nd highest number in an array - Easy to solve.
3. Write a function to find the nth highest number - I kept giving solutions and he asked me to improve the time complexity at each step.
First step - use quick sort to find nth order statistic
Second step - to sort the function by merge sort and return nth order statistic.
Third step - if this function is called over and over again, use a hash table to store sorted version of array and return the nth statistic.
4. How to efficiently index a book based on words
5. Probability question: There's one box - has 12 black and 12 red cards, 2nd box has 24 black and 24 red; if you want to draw 2 cards at random from one of the 2 boxes, which box has the higher probability of getting the same color? He added, can you tell intuitively why the 2nd box has a higher probability - My solution was that at a step when you remove a card, say a red one, the second box still has a higher probability of drawing a red card than the first box and he said it is right.
  Answer Question

Analyst (Intern) Interview

Analyst (Intern)
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in July 2011.

Interview Details – Interview process took 2 weeks and was very straight forward. You will be expected to have relevant industry knowledge and a good understanding of what they do. You should also be able to explain why you are choosing goldman over another similar company while outlining why you are a good fit for them as well.

Interview Question – Name a current issue in the news that will affect business at goldman   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Another offer was more geographically relevant

Software Developer Interview

Software Developer
New York, NY

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview Details – Initially telephone screening has been done. It went around 50 mins. They covered Java basics and SQL basics followed by reason for looking change. Later after a week received a call for face to face interview.
Recruiter told it will be another one or two rounds of technical interviews followed by HR interview. But after reaching there I understood that there will one hour skills test, which test your problem solving skills , Java skills and SQL skills followed by assessment and discussion on your solutions that you provided. I haven't expected that. But I did good in that written test. After discussion went on the solutions that I wrote by two different interviewers separately. Later I have been asked to wait for some time. After 5 mins I got the update that I can leave for the day.

Interview Question – Time Complexity of a solution that I provided.   View Answer

Compliance Division Interview

Compliance Division
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in June 2014.

Interview Details – A contact referred me to five positions, and within a week they contacted me about interviews for one of them. I met with four different people for 30 mins each. Questions were similar each time regarding my experiences and qualifications, and the expectations I had about the job. They had several behavioral questions regarding situations that might come up during the job (coping with uncertainties, difficult personalities, time pressure, etc.). Everybody was friendly and said it was great working at GS.

Interview Question – It is not really unexpected - but I am never sure what to say when they ask about my biggest weakness and how I am coping with that.   Answer Question

IMD Analyst Interview

IMD Analyst
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in May 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online, invite to on-site by HR, interviewed with 2 people, both VP, mostly behavior questions like walk me through your resume, team work ability, strength and weakness, what do you know about PE?

Interview Question – What do you know about PE?   Answer Question

Worked for Goldman Sachs? Contribute to the Community!