Goldman Sachs Interview Questions in New York State

3.3

343 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Technology Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

After applying online HR called me to schedule an onsite 3 half hour interviews. The first one was mostly behavioral but the next two interview were only technical questions. Some of the questions that I remember were: 1) given an array of integers design an algorithm that prints how many times each number appears in the array e.g. [1, 5, 2, 5] so 1: 1 , 2: 1, 5: 2. 2) Given an integer make a function that reverses that integer. 3) Solve the best time to buy and sell a stock problem.

Interview Questions
    • Design an efficient algorithm that checks if a LinkedList, that holds a trillion elements, is circular or not.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

They fly you to New York for an all day interview. You are interviewed with 2 or 3 teams depending on your resume. They have two offices across the bay from each other and you have to ride the provided yacht if you have interview on the other building, it was an unique experience. The interview questions are easy if you know your data structures, sorting algorithm well. There are no hard algorithm questions like graph search for the specific panel I was interviewed. They also ask you the difference between abstract class vs interface, and inheritance what not.

Interview Questions
    • Basic data structures, algorithms and brain teasers. They also ask you about your project.   Answer Question

I didn't feel it was a good place for new grad to work at. As a new grad you want to be in a place were you learn a lot. This is not to say that Goldman Sachs is not good place to work at, its just that I feel that I will be limited to specific corporate technology that will probably not have a positive impact to my foundation of becoming a good software engineer. On a side note, after the interview, I trust that the people there are extremely intelligent and friendly, you will also learn a lot other skills that is related to financial and banking

Summer Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Initially had one 30 minutes phone interview with a VP. Next day got a call from recruiters requesting I come in for a super day at Goldman Sachs New York office - four interviews with sets of two interviewers each. A good amount of behavioral questions and lots of referring back to previous experience displayed on my resume. Asked for market overview and economic climate in the US.

Interview Questions
    • Case study focusing on Asset Liability Management   View Answer

Extended Managing Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in July 2014.

Initially informal interview process leading to a more formalized process up to and including the offer letter. Everyone involved in the interview process were as extraordinary as you would expect - highly intelligent, motivated and had an amazing sense of opportunity while avoiding any notion of opportunistic behavior.

Interview Questions

The entirety of the offer did not offset the value of living in Boulder, CO

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Initially telephone screening has been done. It went around 50 mins. They covered Java basics and SQL basics followed by reason for looking change. Later after a week received a call for face to face interview.
    Recruiter told it will be another one or two rounds of technical interviews followed by HR interview. But after reaching there I understood that there will one hour skills test, which test your problem solving skills , Java skills and SQL skills followed by assessment and discussion on your solutions that you provided. I haven't expected that. But I did good in that written test. After discussion went on the solutions that I wrote by two different interviewers separately. Later I have been asked to wait for some time. After 5 mins I got the update that I can leave for the day.

Interview Questions
    • Time Complexity of a solution that I provided.   View Answer

Compliance Division Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in June 2014.

A contact referred me to five positions, and within a week they contacted me about interviews for one of them. I met with four different people for 30 mins each. Questions were similar each time regarding my experiences and qualifications, and the expectations I had about the job. They had several behavioral questions regarding situations that might come up during the job (coping with uncertainties, difficult personalities, time pressure, etc.). Everybody was friendly and said it was great working at GS.

Interview Questions
    • It is not really unexpected - but I am never sure what to say when they ask about my biggest weakness and how I am coping with that.   Answer Question

Vice President Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

12 interviews over 2 month period (mainly due availability of interviewers). Emphasize being a team player who is also a self starter. Workaholic tendencies encouraged. Know the 14 business principles, history of the firm, etc.

Interview Questions
    • Why are you a job hopper (nearly half the employees are lifers -- having more than three jobs is considered job hopping).   View Answer
    They will offer you the same base, with emphasis that you will be eligible for a bonus. Negotiate. Likelihood that all 12+ interviewers all agreed on another candidate is slim and they don't want to go through the interview process again.

IMD Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in May 2014.

Applied online, invite to on-site by HR, interviewed with 2 people, both VP, mostly behavior questions like walk me through your resume, team work ability, strength and weakness, what do you know about PE?

Vice President -Technology Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

I was interviewed as a consultant so the experience was not the same as it is for most people. I talked to the managing director and the lead manager I was working for - normally many more rounds of interviews are required and the process takes much longer. GS is very thorough before hiring - delays sometimes means not being able to hire the people they want.

Interview Questions
    • Just asked about my background - nothing very specific.   Answer Question
    No negotiation - surprisingly exceeded my expectations when i converted from consultant to full time.

IBD Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Applied on their company website

Interview Questions
    • Do you follow the market at all?
      What's your view on the stock market?
      And a lot behavior