Goldman Sachs

Updated Feb 24, 2015
Updated Feb 24, 2015

2.9

Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in November 2009.

I went to the Boston Consortium where they recruit potential applicants. I had previously interned there the prior year so I was able to land the first interview. This took place with two interviewers in two different rooms, mainly behavioral questions with a few achievement elaborations. I was then selected for a final interview for which they flew me to NYC and had another 2 people interview me (in two different rooms). Same questions, same format, such at their office this time.

Interview Questions
  • What is the main function of Operations at Goldman Sachs?   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Goldman Sachs

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Applied online, heard nothing. Eventually through an employee referral, I was able to get a face-to-face interview with an HR professional several months later while I was in New York. Again, I heard nothing for several months until I got an email saying I was invited to interview for a job in Operations for which I had not originally applied. This in-person interview took place a week later. I went through 4 half-hour interviews, each with 2 different interviewers in the Operations division. A week later I received the offer of employment.

Interview Questions
    • If you could change three things about the NY Subway system to make it more efficient, what would they be? (I didn't expect the question and had poor knowledge of the subway system)

There were also a couple specific questions about finance, why I respected the company, why I wanted to work at GS, about the LIBOR issue at the time, etc.

Answer Question

Other preferred job offer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in February 2011.

interview was boring with a lot of repetitive work. You go in and have to talk to five people with 4 half hour interviews and they drill you on everything you can think of.

Interview Questions
    • what would you change about subway station   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in November 2013.

I was initially contacted by a recruiter and invited for an interview at the Main Street location. I was interviewed 3 times by six different people, the interviews took about 30 minutes each, so I was there for nearly 2 hours.

Interview Questions
    • If we contacted your boss right now, what would he say is your biggest weakness and why?   Answer Question

Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in February 2014.

I applied in December, have been invited to the first round interview after 5 weeks, then after 3 days, I've been invited again to a second round interview, which consisted of 3:30 interviews with senior operations representatives. The first round interview (1:30) was very relaxed, questions were based on my CV, why ops and why GS!!! the questions of The second round interview were more specific (my advise is learn your CV and what u did in details) it's very important. I finally received an offer after 3 days.

Interview Questions
    • I wrote a report within my degree about IKEA's operations so I have been asked how do you think IKEA controls its ops in order to deliver a product on time?   View Answer
    If you really want to have the position then accept it straight forward

Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chennai (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chennai (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in September 2013.

Got selected through campus interview. The process lasted for 2 days. Day 1 included aptitude for half an hour to 40 mins approx and a screening round which lasted for 20 mins . Day 2 had 1 technical round again around 15 to 20 mins and a hr round for 10 mins .

Interview Questions
    • Questions in round 1 (aptitude ) were basic quanta and verbal plus attention to details. Round 2 had majority to do with general info about the company and its performance plus some current affairs related to finance and economics. Technical round had some brain storming questions but quite easy like
      1.estimate the number of customs we deal on daily basis
      2. Why is the rupee value depreciating
      3. How can world markets affect goldman's performance etc .

hr was the best as it gave an ample chance to express myself which I personally was looking forward to. I was asked questions like 1.what are your strengths and weaknesses
      2.how have you shown leadership and had you encountered any problems during that period and how have you overcome those issues
       3.why job over mba
      4. Give us three reasons as to how your contribution will make difference
      5. Have you had any fears or resentment in the past and how have you gotten yourself out of it

View Answer
    negotiation phase wasn't there as I got through campus in which the deal is pre determined.

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in October 2012.

Was interview on campus which consisted of a 2:1 interview and a 1:1 interview of 30 minutes each. After a week, I received an email inviting me to Salt Lake City for a Final Round Interview. The interview at SLC was no different from the one on campus with the same 2:1 interview and 1:1 interview.

Received a phone call a week later telling that I was rejected,

Interview Questions
    • What if after advising a client, your client insists on making a deal that is going to turn out quite bad? Would you go ahead with the deal or not?
      - The answers is, no. Because the reputation of the company is the most important and it is better to lose that client than to ruin the company's reputation

Answer Question

Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)
    Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)

I applied online – interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Scheduled for 2 interviews for 20 minutes each with 2 interviewers, mainly asking about fit questions on how you will fit the role, and related issues, past working experiences, academic activities, external hobbies and activities.

remember to ask important and relevant questions to demonstrate your research and background readings that you have done.

Do engage the interviewers as the interviewing process is very competitive, try to stand out from the crowd and showcase yourself.

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online – interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

I applied for GS Ops full-time and got invited to Salt Lake city for interview 2 months ago. I didn't get an offer but I learned many things and thought I should share. So here it goes:
    I applied on my University career website (and probably on GS website as well but I couldn't be too sure). HR emailed me one day saying you are invited, please apply for

1) American Express credit card (which would be used to pay for my travel expenses but it didn't arrive in time so I had to pay out of pocket and am still waiting for reimbursement)

2) book an airline ticket on GS website, paid by GS upfront. Tips: arrive early, allow yourself one night before the interview to review material and relax. If your interview is at 10am in the morning, don't fly the 6am flight.

Once you get there, treat yourself well, don't stress out. There is a limit on how much you can spend on breakfast, lunch and meal so double check it.

As far as the interview goes, the format is like this:

Day 1: you will be interviewing with 2 people, one is relatively new to the company and one is veteran. They will be asking about what GS is, what GS does, what Ops does. More importantly, they will be looking at your resume and ask why you are interested in GS in general and Ops in particular. They are all about working in team so they will ask "give me an example of a time when you lead a group and was successful (or unsuccessful) and why? Or an example of you as a teammate, how you contribute and did your team succeed or not?

Tips: take your time but don't drag it on and on. Have examples ready. One case competition, one group project can offer you various ways to answer different questions if you know how to do it.

Ethical questions: what do you do if a client insist on making a trade/transaction that you know is not profitable for them in the long run but it would benefit the bank? Or rank the 3 qualities in order of importance: risk management, client service, efficiency.

Day 2: you will be interviewing with seniors of the company. I failed on this round so I don't know how to help you out on this. But here it goes:
    Why are you interested in GS, what attract you to Ops? I saw that you work for [a bulge bracket] over the summer, why choose GS?

Pretty much the same as first day but expect a lot more challenging questions and less friendly attitudes.

I suggest looking at Glassdoor.com for more interview question. The key is: know the company, know yourself, and be confident/articulate when answer. Ask for time to think if you stumble upon a hard one. Look enthusiastic and you'll be fine. Have QUESTIONS to ask them at the end of the session!

Interview Questions
    • What do you do if a client insist on making a trade/transaction that you know is not profitable for them in the long run but it would benefit the bank? Or rank the 3 qualities in order of importance: risk management, client service, efficiency.

View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in July 2013.

I applied for this role through the company's website. After few weeks, I was contacted by a recruiter who asked me to come for an interview. The interview lasted two hours. I met four people in total, one VP and three managers. All the interviewers, except for the VP, did not seem very interested about getting to know me. They just wanted to know my experience with different financial instruments, specially with derivatives. Also, they made a lot of emphasis on how people at GS are super competitive.

Interview Questions
    • What type of financial instruments did you handle in your previous position?   Answer Question
    • Give me an example of a successful team project?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a conflict you've experienced in a team project.   Answer Question
    • Who have you seen so far (name the previous interviewers)?   Answer Question