Goldman Sachs

Average Difficulty
139 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Jersey City, NJ

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in October 2013.

Interview Details – Submitted through Campus career site. Called in for final interview super day. It was 4 thirty minute interviews back to back. The interview took place in their Jersey City offices. Interviewers were all nice and easy going. Mostly behavioral questions. Interviewers were mostly VPs but I was also interviewed by a couple of Associates and Analysts in the division.

Interview Question – If you realized you sent a the wrong client classified information from another client's account how would you rectify the situation?   Answer Question

Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in November 2013.

Interview Details – I was initially contacted by a recruiter and invited for an interview at the Main Street location. I was interviewed 3 times by six different people, the interviews took about 30 minutes each, so I was there for nearly 2 hours.

Interview Question – If we contacted your boss right now, what would he say is your biggest weakness and why?   Answer Question

Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview Details – Applied to one of the Diversity/ Leadership Symposiums and got invited for an afternoon event to learn about the firm, Salt Lake City and Operations specifically. I had 2 sets of 30 minute interviews with 2 people each time and the same when I returned 3 weeks later for the second round.

Interview Questions

• Can you see yourself living in Salt Lake- not difficult but unexpected.   View Answer
  • What is going on in the media relating to Goldman   View Answer
  • Rank customer service, ethics, and .... explain why you ranked as such.   View Answer
  • An ethical dilemma you've encountered.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Non negotiable

Interviewed at Goldman Sachs

Interview Details – networking event at first and then got an email on having a interview two months after. did not get the first round interview, and it looks like the last round of interview.
     one hour interview with two Vice president. there are two round and every time have two president. i

Interview Question – Why gs   Answer Question

Jersey City, NJ

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in October 2013.

Interview Details – I applied through the Goldman Sachs Careers website, and was contacted within the same month to interview in their New Jersey office. Overall, I felt like the people that I interviewed with were very passionate about their work at Goldman Sachs, and were interested to see if you would be, as well.

Interview Question – What is Operations, and how do you feel that your current choices mirror this career choice?   Answer Question

Operations Analyst

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview Details – I applied online and received a phone call a few weeks later explaining I was chosen for an interview. It was short notice but I was luckily available. I was fortunate enough to have 6 interviews on their "super day." All interviewers were extremely friendly and pleasant. There were usually 2 interviewers per half hour interview.

Interview Question – Was there ever a process that you had to make simpler or more effective?   Answer Question

Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in December 2013.

Interview Details – I went to a GS info session for GIR on campus in October, and applied for GIR first and added Operations at the last minute just to see. I didn't hear anything until late November, when a campus recruiter emailed saying they were having trouble opening the resumé I had uploaded in my application, and asked for me to email her a copy directly. I sent her the resume, and received an email that same day inviting me to Salt Lake City for a superday the next week. GS flew me out from L.A. for 4 back-to-back interviews, all set up in one room separated by screens. The energy in the office was extremely low, which I found surprising, and the interviewers were cordial but seemed like they would rather be anywhere else. Overall, the atmosphere was depressing and unimpressive.

Interview Question – The interviews were standard personality fit- All 4 interviewers asked about an ethical dilemma I had faced, and how I worked in a team/problems I had encountered while working on a team and how I fixed them/why Goldman. There were some questions about my resume, but only one interviewer asked about risk management and my previous relevant experience in depth. The interview questions aren't too bad, but the glazed over eyes of the interviewers may dent your confidence.   Answer Question

Interview Details – Company Website

Interview Questions

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in February 2011.

Interview Details – interview was boring with a lot of repetitive work. You go in and have to talk to five people with 4 half hour interviews and they drill you on everything you can think of.

Interview Question – what would you change about subway station   View Answer

Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview Details – --A very long and drawn out process--

I applied through my campus' career center, and was lucky enough to be selected even though I am not a business or finance major. They are looking for people with drive, a good work ethic, values that align with the firm, and diversity. The main thing piece of advice that I would give is to really know yourself inside and out. Be able to explain how your past experiences in college have shaped you, and how the experiences and skills you gained as an undergraduate will help you succeed at Goldman Sachs. The questions they ask are mainly personality based, and relate to how you have challenged your self, led others, and worked on a team.

The first interview was on campus and was broken down into two sections. The first with two campus representatives, while the second was with one representative. They were really friendly, which made it really easy to talk and open up to them.

I was lucky enough to get invited to a second interview at the Salt Lake Headquarters a week later. They defray all travel expenses. The second interview was similar to the second, and I was asked similar questions. The only difference was the added pressure of it being the final interview, the atmosphere created by actually being in the office building and waiting with your competition, and the subdued personality of the interviewers. (They were less friendly in the second round). They will ask you curveball questions, and want to see how you react to being under pressure.

I didn't hear back for a long time after the final interview, but received an offer a month and a half later over the phone. I'm pretty sure they use a waitlist system. I went with three other people from my campus; one got a rejection letter a week after the final interview, and the other got an offer a few weeks after the super day while I was left waiting for news.

Important: Make sure to ask interesting or stimulating questions at the end of the interview. If you don't have any, you will probably leave a subpar impression

It was a very tedious and challenging, but worth it in the end.

Interview Question – Do you have any questions?
Why don't you have a 4.0?
  Answer Question