Goldman Sachs Operations Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Oct 16, 2014

2.9

147 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Applied to one of the Diversity/ Leadership Symposiums and got invited for an afternoon event to learn about the firm, Salt Lake City and Operations specifically. I had 2 sets of 30 minute interviews with 2 people each time and the same when I returned 3 weeks later for the second round.

Interview Questions
  • Can you see yourself living in Salt Lake- not difficult but unexpected.   View Answer
  • What is going on in the media relating to Goldman   View Answer
  • Rank customer service, ethics, and .... explain why you ranked as such.   View Answer
  • An ethical dilemma you've encountered.   Answer Question
Non negotiable

Other Interview Reviews for Goldman Sachs

Operations Analyst Interview

networking event at first and then got an email on having a interview two months after. did not get the first round interview, and it looks like the last round of interview.
         one hour interview with two Vice president. there are two round and every time have two president. i

Operations Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

I applied online and received a phone call a few weeks later explaining I was chosen for an interview. It was short notice but I was luckily available. I was fortunate enough to have 6 interviews on their "super day." All interviewers were extremely friendly and pleasant. There were usually 2 interviewers per half hour interview.

Interview Questions
    • Was there ever a process that you had to make simpler or more effective?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in December 2013.

I went to a GS info session for GIR on campus in October, and applied for GIR first and added Operations at the last minute just to see. I didn't hear anything until late November, when a campus recruiter emailed saying they were having trouble opening the resumé I had uploaded in my application, and asked for me to email her a copy directly. I sent her the resume, and received an email that same day inviting me to Salt Lake City for a superday the next week. GS flew me out from L.A. for 4 back-to-back interviews, all set up in one room separated by screens. The energy in the office was extremely low, which I found surprising, and the interviewers were cordial but seemed like they would rather be anywhere else. Overall, the atmosphere was depressing and unimpressive.

Interview Questions
    • The interviews were standard personality fit- All 4 interviewers asked about an ethical dilemma I had faced, and how I worked in a team/problems I had encountered while working on a team and how I fixed them/why Goldman. There were some questions about my resume, but only one interviewer asked about risk management and my previous relevant experience in depth. The interview questions aren't too bad, but the glazed over eyes of the interviewers may dent your confidence.   Answer Question

Company Website

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in December 2013.

The interview was about an hour long. I interviewed with three people, the first was two on one and the second was one on one. Mainly behavioral questions a few technical. The first interview was harder for me but the second was very good, the lady was friendly and it turned into a conversation rather than just an interview. My advice is try not to be be too nervous. They are very interested in persons who can work well in teams.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

--A very long and drawn out process--

I applied through my campus' career center, and was lucky enough to be selected even though I am not a business or finance major. They are looking for people with drive, a good work ethic, values that align with the firm, and diversity. The main thing piece of advice that I would give is to really know yourself inside and out. Be able to explain how your past experiences in college have shaped you, and how the experiences and skills you gained as an undergraduate will help you succeed at Goldman Sachs. The questions they ask are mainly personality based, and relate to how you have challenged your self, led others, and worked on a team.

The first interview was on campus and was broken down into two sections. The first with two campus representatives, while the second was with one representative. They were really friendly, which made it really easy to talk and open up to them.

I was lucky enough to get invited to a second interview at the Salt Lake Headquarters a week later. They defray all travel expenses. The second interview was similar to the second, and I was asked similar questions. The only difference was the added pressure of it being the final interview, the atmosphere created by actually being in the office building and waiting with your competition, and the subdued personality of the interviewers. (They were less friendly in the second round). They will ask you curveball questions, and want to see how you react to being under pressure.

I didn't hear back for a long time after the final interview, but received an offer a month and a half later over the phone. I'm pretty sure they use a waitlist system. I went with three other people from my campus; one got a rejection letter a week after the final interview, and the other got an offer a few weeks after the super day while I was left waiting for news.

Important: Make sure to ask interesting or stimulating questions at the end of the interview. If you don't have any, you will probably leave a subpar impression

It was a very tedious and challenging, but worth it in the end.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Applied online, heard nothing. Eventually through an employee referral, I was able to get a face-to-face interview with an HR professional several months later while I was in New York. Again, I heard nothing for several months until I got an email saying I was invited to interview for a job in Operations for which I had not originally applied. This in-person interview took place a week later. I went through 4 half-hour interviews, each with 2 different interviewers in the Operations division. A week later I received the offer of employment.

Interview Questions
    • If you could change three things about the NY Subway system to make it more efficient, what would they be? (I didn't expect the question and had poor knowledge of the subway system)

There were also a couple specific questions about finance, why I respected the company, why I wanted to work at GS, about the LIBOR issue at the time, etc.
        Answer Question

Other preferred job offer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Goldman Sachs in November 2013.

Resume was sent to Goldman executives after doing an Executive in Residence Program through my university. Was emailed after the program ended about submitted my resume through their website in order for them to schedule an interview. A week later, was called for next day interviews. 3 interviews, 30 minutes, 3 different people (one of which was an executive I met through the program). ALL behavioral questions.

Have another interview scheduled for next week. Fingers crossed!

Interview Questions
    • In your own words, what does an operations analyst do?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in November 2013.

I was initially contacted by a recruiter and invited for an interview at the Main Street location. I was interviewed 3 times by six different people, the interviews took about 30 minutes each, so I was there for nearly 2 hours.

Interview Questions
    • If we contacted your boss right now, what would he say is your biggest weakness and why?   Answer Question