Goldman Sachs Operations Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Jul 5, 2015

2.9

Operations Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2015.

Interview

I first heard about the position through a GS recruiter at my university. After talking with him, he connected me with a professional in the Operations Division. I had a few conversations with this professional and she encouraged me to apply for the position. I did and about a week later I was contacted by HR about coming in for an interview. In about two weeks I had my interview. I had never been to a "super day" and did not know exactly what to expect. I had four thirty minute interviews (one was 1 on 1 the other three were 2 on 1). The interviews were pretty straight forward and there were no curve ball questions. They mostly asked Why GS? Why Operations? and team experiences. As long as you prepare of those questions and the other questions posted on this site, you will ACE the interview. A week after my "super day" I was contacted about a follow up phone interview. The phone interview was thirty minutes and 1 on 1. My interviewer basically asked the same questions as the previous interviewers so it was not difficult. A week after my phone interview I received my offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you failed in front of people. Tell me about a time you improved a process. Why GS? Why Operations? What role do you usually play on a team? What would your ideal job description be?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation.

Other Interview Reviews for Goldman Sachs

Operations Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2015.

Interview

Applied through a career fair in November, and got an email inviting me to the Superday in January in their Salt Lake City office. I had 4 interviews back to back with all behavioral questions, pretty straight forward. Lots of teamwork experience and previous experiences you've had where you had improved a process. I was also asked about a situation where I had to change someone else's mind, and how did I do it. I received a called from them the next day offering me a full-time position.

Interview Questions

• Rank the following: risk management, customer service/experience and efficiency/profitability. We are all humans and we make mistakes. Tell me about a time you made a mistake and how did you approach it   Answer Question

Operations Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in December 2014.

Interview

I was flown over to their SLT office for the interview. There were 4 interviews in various booths, each lasting 30 minutes. The interviewers were very friendly and easy to talk to. Most of the questions were personality based. I got a couple of technical questions but that's because I mentioned some of my finance experience. I thought the interviews went very well but it takes them a long time to decide (over two weeks). I later pulled out of the application process, before I could find out if I got the job or not, as I accepted another job.

Interview Questions

• tell me about yourself - not difficult but one of the interviewers phrased it in an odd way tell me about a time you witnessed someone do something unethical in the workplace. what did you do about it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Salt Lake City, UT).

Interview

Two two on one interviews after applied through company website. Got an email saying possible dates to schedule interviews. Set up interview and went through with it. Pretty standard internship hiring process.

Interview Questions

• Rank efficiency, risk management, and customer service from most to least important   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (Salt Lake City, UT) in December 2014.

Interview

Room with four interviewers, all asked the same set of questions. Felt repetitive and that they had a hard time keeping people in Salt Lake City. Interviewers did not seem genuinely interested in the process. Spoke with some workers while I was waiting for the interview and work culture seemed relaxed but boring.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (Salt Lake City, UT) in December 2014.

Interview

2 hours - back to back interviews that involved describing basic college leadership experiences. Heavy emphasis on cultural fit and being open-minded towards moving to Salt Lake City. Everyone I met was very sophisticated, and provided excellent insight into the different roles within Operations.

Interview Questions

• Asked to walk through resume. Describe leadership experiences, analytical processes that drove good decisions making and failures.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Did not negotiate.

Operations Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

Applied online and received an email to schedule an onsite interview in SLC. They hosted a bunch of other interviews that day with other students. You attend back-to-back 30 minute interviews. Both interviews had two interviewers.

Interview Questions

• No difficult questions. They are all behavioral. Tell me of a time you witnessed something unethical in the work place and how did you deal with it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (Salt Lake City, UT).

Interview

I applied online and was contacted a few days later. They flew me out to Salt Lake City and I interviewed with them in person. Nothing they asked was unexpected or a curveball. It was a round robin of four interviews in 30 minute intervals.

Interview Questions

• Rank the following in order from most to least important: Customer service, risk management, and efficiency   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (Salt Lake City, UT) in November 2014.

Interview

Applied online for summer internship position through GS website and through campus careers site. Called to come-in for an on campus interview. 2 back to back 2-on-1 interviews with Associate/VPs. Very friendly yet also serious. It's an "easier" entry to GS but don't think that this would be a path into the firm's other divisions (IBD, Securities i.e.). The interviewers would know if you really are interested in Ops or into somethings else like investment banking. Be humble and candid but also have some emotion.

Interview Questions

• What kind of work do you think an FX Operations Analyst do daily? Tell me a time when you questioned and repealed and redefined laws? Mostly fit questions   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Jersey City, NJ).

Interview

The interview process was 4 back-to-back interviews which were a half hour each. However, the interviews were quite informal and were all behavioral questions. It was a little tiring talking about yourself with 4 different groups of people but it was quite laid back. Luckily I signed up for the interview slot where there was a 45 minute break for lunch so that was nice to have. Otherwise, not a bad process whatsoever.

Interview Questions

• What did you do when you had a to make a difficult decision?   Answer Question