Goldman Sachs

139 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Difficult Interview

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview Details – Applied online, heard nothing. Eventually through an employee referral, I was able to get a face-to-face interview with an HR professional several months later while I was in New York. Again, I heard nothing for several months until I got an email saying I was invited to interview for a job in Operations for which I had not originally applied. This in-person interview took place a week later. I went through 4 half-hour interviews, each with 2 different interviewers in the Operations division. A week later I received the offer of employment.

Interview Question – If you could change three things about the NY Subway system to make it more efficient, what would they be? (I didn't expect the question and had poor knowledge of the subway system)

There were also a couple specific questions about finance, why I respected the company, why I wanted to work at GS, about the LIBOR issue at the time, etc.
  Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Other preferred job offer

Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in September 2013.

Interview Details – No initial screening. Applied online and flown out to Salt Lake City. Standard interview questions. Took 2 weeks to hear back

Interview Question – All about ethical questions and diving deep into your resume. Looking for a good fit with the culture.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The pay was ridiculously low.

Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in November 2013.

Interview Details – Applied through university career services and got invited to Superday at SLC office. Interview consisted of 4 back to back interviews with people ranging from analyst to vice president. All the interviews were very nice and it felt more like a conversation than a full on job interview. Make sure you know everything on your resume.

Interview Question – No hard questions at all, all the questions were based on behavior and ethics.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in November 2013.

Interview Details – Resume was sent to Goldman executives after doing an Executive in Residence Program through my university. Was emailed after the program ended about submitted my resume through their website in order for them to schedule an interview. A week later, was called for next day interviews. 3 interviews, 30 minutes, 3 different people (one of which was an executive I met through the program). ALL behavioral questions.

Have another interview scheduled for next week. Fingers crossed!

Interview Question – In your own words, what does an operations analyst do?   Answer Question

Operations Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in October 2013.

Interview Details – I come from a non-finance major, and the position I applied for was open to all majors, I went to two campus events and heard good things about the company, so I applied online. I then did on campus interviews (and the day before I attended a pre-interview training) there were two back-to-back 30 minute interviews with two different managers at the same time (for a total of four). About two weeks later I was invited to go up to the Salt Lake office, and it was again two back-to-back 30 minute interviews, two at a time, for a total of four.

All the questions were mostly personality questions. How you work in a team, how you handle ethical dilemmas etc.

Interview Question – Make sure you have a story about what you did when you encountered an ethical dilemma. Also, be prepared to talk about "Why apply to Goldman Sachs", "Why operations?". Make sure to study up on how to answer those questions.   Answer Question

Operations Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview Details – Campus hiring, first round two to one. Went through my resume and no technical questions at all, they were all very nice.

Interview Question – Tell me about your interests, what books do you read recently   Answer Question

Jersey City, NJ

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in September 2013.

Interview Details – Applied via University career site, then was forwarded to Goldman's career site to apply there as well. Was contacted one week later to attend "Superday" final round interviews the following week. I wasn't phone screened, nor did I have an on-campus interview first. I had four 30 minute interviews, the first was 1:1, the other three were 2:1 - myself, an associate, and a VP or manager. They all asked similar interview questions. They said we'd all hear back within two weeks; I got my offer one week from the interview date.

Interview Question – What role do you typically play on a team? How do you manage multi-tasking? Greatest strengh/ weakness? What does our department do?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Received an offer via telephone one week after the "Superday" final round interviews at the Ops headquarters in Jersey City.

Interviewed at Goldman Sachs

Interview Details – We had GS recruiters come visit our campus for career fair/info sessions. After that, I applied for the opening via the company website as well as my school's online career service system. I had a phone interview and after that was the onsite interview.

Interview Question – Nothing surprising! the interview focused on diversity, leadership and teamwork.   Answer Question

Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in October 2012.

Interview Details – Most of the questions posted here will be asked. Be ready to talk about your field or major and how you plan to transfer and utilize those skills and Goldman.

Interview Question – As I am a liberal arts major with business experience, I was asked about the history of Goldman Sachs. This was unexpected as my concentration was a couple of centuries before the firm's inception. However, I am certain that they wanted to see how I could think on my feet and come up with a sensible answer, whether I knew the correct answer or not.   Answer Question

Jersey City, NJ

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in July 2013.

Interview Details – I applied for this role through the company's website. After few weeks, I was contacted by a recruiter who asked me to come for an interview. The interview lasted two hours. I met four people in total, one VP and three managers. All the interviewers, except for the VP, did not seem very interested about getting to know me. They just wanted to know my experience with different financial instruments, specially with derivatives. Also, they made a lot of emphasis on how people at GS are super competitive.

Interview Questions