Goldman Sachs Operations Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Sep 4, 2014

2.9

142 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Operations Analyst Interview

We had GS recruiters come visit our campus for career fair/info sessions. After that, I applied for the opening via the company website as well as my school's online career service system. I had a phone interview and after that was the onsite interview.

Interview Questions
  • Nothing surprising! the interview focused on diversity, leadership and teamwork.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Goldman Sachs

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in October 2012.

Most of the questions posted here will be asked. Be ready to talk about your field or major and how you plan to transfer and utilize those skills and Goldman.

Interview Questions
    • As I am a liberal arts major with business experience, I was asked about the history of Goldman Sachs. This was unexpected as my concentration was a couple of centuries before the firm's inception. However, I am certain that they wanted to see how I could think on my feet and come up with a sensible answer, whether I knew the correct answer or not.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Jersey City, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in July 2013.

I applied for this role through the company's website. After few weeks, I was contacted by a recruiter who asked me to come for an interview. The interview lasted two hours. I met four people in total, one VP and three managers. All the interviewers, except for the VP, did not seem very interested about getting to know me. They just wanted to know my experience with different financial instruments, specially with derivatives. Also, they made a lot of emphasis on how people at GS are super competitive.

Interview Questions
    • What type of financial instruments did you handle in your previous position?   Answer Question
    • Give me an example of a successful team project?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a conflict you've experienced in a team project.   Answer Question
    • Who have you seen so far (name the previous interviewers)?   Answer Question

Operations Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

I applied through an employee referral and 2 months later I had a phone interview with 4 different individuals, each 30 minutes long.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Jersey City, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in November 2012.

I was only given final round interview with 4 back to back interviews. Each of them took half an hour.

Interview Questions
    • There was no unexpected question. Everything was pretty much personality questions.   Answer Question
    I was able to tell them whether I will accept offer now or later. I told them that will take it over the phone.

Operations Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in February 2013.

There were 3 rounds total. First interview was a 15 minute pre-screening. The second round I talked to 4 interviewers 1:1 for 30 minutes each. Mostly fit questions -- some interviewers were formal and others informal. Third round was a lot like second round 2 to 3 hours onsite with mostly fit questions and a few technical questions. Overall the experience was a lot less scary than I had imagined it would be -- everyone was very nice.

Interview Questions
    • What is the most difficult situation you have ever been in and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in October 2012.

I had applied to some internships my junior year of college and never heard anything. Then during the fall of my senior year I received an email about an online webinar and conference call outlining positions in the Operations Division in Salt Lake City. I registered for it and "attended". After it was over they told you how to apply. I applied and got an email inviting me to interview in SLC. It was a two day process involving four interviews. The first day was two one on one interviews with vice presidents. It was straightforward, but I made friends with three other kids from schools around the country and none of them made it to the second day. The second day was two, two on one interviews with vice presidents and managing directors. They definitely grill you a bit more since it's the last stage, and the competition is much more intense. For instance, I found myself sitting in a waiting area with people from target schools like BYU and WashU who already had 80K offers from other companies (I know because they were bragging about it). They had completed their first round of interviews on campus and many of them knew each other and had formed little circles just like in high school. I have a liberal arts degree from a non-target school in Colorado and needless to say, I felt a little out of place. Overall, I thought the interviews went well, but because I didn't have any finance internship experience, a quantitative degree, or a degree from a target school, I pretty much knew my fate. The only hiccup was the fact that I have an Econ minor, and the way I had written it on my resume made it a little confusing. One of my interviewers made a comment about me having a major in Econ, so I had to say "No, I have a minor in Econ". He didn't seem to like this and scribbled some stuff down. Basically, Goldman is just like any other company that receives a high volume of applicants, so they have to weed you out somehow. The obvious advice: go to a target school, major in something quantitative, get an internship etc. The less obvious advice: be honest, friendly and do not assume you have the job until you have the job.

Interview Questions
    • If a client asks you to help them with something you know will be against their best interests, do you go ahead and assist them with doing it, or do you talk them out of it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in October 2012.

First Round: on campus. 2 back-in-back half an hour interviews, quite behavior, no technical questions. Be well prepared about your resume story, they have a lot of time to go over it.
    Second Round: In salt lake city, same questions with first round, even some same questions. Again, be very familiar with your resume.

Interview Questions
    • What's your opinion about Adolf Hitler?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in October 2012.

I had an on-campus pre-interview night, where all of the candidates on the campus were able to speak to each representative/interviewer, which lasted for a couple of hours. The next day was my interview. It was 2 half-hour long interviews, each with two people. All of the interviewers were very nice but seemed to not know anything about my background (I'm an engineering major, so most of my experience on my resume wasn't familiar to them, just sounded impressive I suppose). A week later, I got an email asking me to fly out to Salt Lake to have an in-person interview. I accepted and they paid for flight/hotel/food/taxi, everything. The hotel was very nice and right next to the office, so I was able to walk about 3 minutes to the interview in the morning. However, the interview was exactly the same as the interviews back at home, so I thought it was very wasteful and unnecessary that they flew me out (along with at least 20 other students) for a second interview that was exactly the same (there were different interviewers, but they pretty much asked me the exact same questions and it was the same format). I didn't think the final interviews went very well but I did get an offer.

Interview Questions

The salary was not anywhere near what I had hoped for and I didn't want to move to Salt Lake for a job that didn't pay very well.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

I applied for GS Ops full-time and got invited to Salt Lake city for interview 2 months ago. I didn't get an offer but I learned many things and thought I should share. So here it goes:
    I applied on my University career website (and probably on GS website as well but I couldn't be too sure). HR emailed me one day saying you are invited, please apply for

1) American Express credit card (which would be used to pay for my travel expenses but it didn't arrive in time so I had to pay out of pocket and am still waiting for reimbursement)

2) book an airline ticket on GS website, paid by GS upfront. Tips: arrive early, allow yourself one night before the interview to review material and relax. If your interview is at 10am in the morning, don't fly the 6am flight.

Once you get there, treat yourself well, don't stress out. There is a limit on how much you can spend on breakfast, lunch and meal so double check it.

As far as the interview goes, the format is like this:

Day 1: you will be interviewing with 2 people, one is relatively new to the company and one is veteran. They will be asking about what GS is, what GS does, what Ops does. More importantly, they will be looking at your resume and ask why you are interested in GS in general and Ops in particular. They are all about working in team so they will ask "give me an example of a time when you lead a group and was successful (or unsuccessful) and why? Or an example of you as a teammate, how you contribute and did your team succeed or not?

Tips: take your time but don't drag it on and on. Have examples ready. One case competition, one group project can offer you various ways to answer different questions if you know how to do it.

Ethical questions: what do you do if a client insist on making a trade/transaction that you know is not profitable for them in the long run but it would benefit the bank? Or rank the 3 qualities in order of importance: risk management, client service, efficiency.

Day 2: you will be interviewing with seniors of the company. I failed on this round so I don't know how to help you out on this. But here it goes:
    Why are you interested in GS, what attract you to Ops? I saw that you work for [a bulge bracket] over the summer, why choose GS?

Pretty much the same as first day but expect a lot more challenging questions and less friendly attitudes.

I suggest looking at Glassdoor.com for more interview question. The key is: know the company, know yourself, and be confident/articulate when answer. Ask for time to think if you stumble upon a hard one. Look enthusiastic and you'll be fine. Have QUESTIONS to ask them at the end of the session!

Interview Questions
    • What do you do if a client insist on making a trade/transaction that you know is not profitable for them in the long run but it would benefit the bank? Or rank the 3 qualities in order of importance: risk management, client service, efficiency.

View Answer