Goldman Sachs

Average Difficulty
139 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Operations Analyst

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview Details – I applied through an employee referral and 2 months later I had a phone interview with 4 different individuals, each 30 minutes long.

Interview Question – Who is the most moral person you know?   Answer Question

Jersey City, NJ

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in November 2012.

Interview Details – I was only given final round interview with 4 back to back interviews. Each of them took half an hour.

Interview Question – There was no unexpected question. Everything was pretty much personality questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to tell them whether I will accept offer now or later. I told them that will take it over the phone.

Operations Analyst

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in February 2013.

Interview Details – There were 3 rounds total. First interview was a 15 minute pre-screening. The second round I talked to 4 interviewers 1:1 for 30 minutes each. Mostly fit questions -- some interviewers were formal and others informal. Third round was a lot like second round 2 to 3 hours onsite with mostly fit questions and a few technical questions. Overall the experience was a lot less scary than I had imagined it would be -- everyone was very nice.

Interview Question – What is the most difficult situation you have ever been in and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in October 2012.

Interview Details – I had applied to some internships my junior year of college and never heard anything. Then during the fall of my senior year I received an email about an online webinar and conference call outlining positions in the Operations Division in Salt Lake City. I registered for it and "attended". After it was over they told you how to apply. I applied and got an email inviting me to interview in SLC. It was a two day process involving four interviews. The first day was two one on one interviews with vice presidents. It was straightforward, but I made friends with three other kids from schools around the country and none of them made it to the second day. The second day was two, two on one interviews with vice presidents and managing directors. They definitely grill you a bit more since it's the last stage, and the competition is much more intense. For instance, I found myself sitting in a waiting area with people from target schools like BYU and WashU who already had 80K offers from other companies (I know because they were bragging about it). They had completed their first round of interviews on campus and many of them knew each other and had formed little circles just like in high school. I have a liberal arts degree from a non-target school in Colorado and needless to say, I felt a little out of place. Overall, I thought the interviews went well, but because I didn't have any finance internship experience, a quantitative degree, or a degree from a target school, I pretty much knew my fate. The only hiccup was the fact that I have an Econ minor, and the way I had written it on my resume made it a little confusing. One of my interviewers made a comment about me having a major in Econ, so I had to say "No, I have a minor in Econ". He didn't seem to like this and scribbled some stuff down. Basically, Goldman is just like any other company that receives a high volume of applicants, so they have to weed you out somehow. The obvious advice: go to a target school, major in something quantitative, get an internship etc. The less obvious advice: be honest, friendly and do not assume you have the job until you have the job.

Interview Question – If a client asks you to help them with something you know will be against their best interests, do you go ahead and assist them with doing it, or do you talk them out of it?   Answer Question

Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in October 2012.

Interview Details – First Round: on campus. 2 back-in-back half an hour interviews, quite behavior, no technical questions. Be well prepared about your resume story, they have a lot of time to go over it.
Second Round: In salt lake city, same questions with first round, even some same questions. Again, be very familiar with your resume.

Interview Question – What's your opinion about Adolf Hitler?   View Answer

Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in October 2012.

Interview Details – I had an on-campus pre-interview night, where all of the candidates on the campus were able to speak to each representative/interviewer, which lasted for a couple of hours. The next day was my interview. It was 2 half-hour long interviews, each with two people. All of the interviewers were very nice but seemed to not know anything about my background (I'm an engineering major, so most of my experience on my resume wasn't familiar to them, just sounded impressive I suppose). A week later, I got an email asking me to fly out to Salt Lake to have an in-person interview. I accepted and they paid for flight/hotel/food/taxi, everything. The hotel was very nice and right next to the office, so I was able to walk about 3 minutes to the interview in the morning. However, the interview was exactly the same as the interviews back at home, so I thought it was very wasteful and unnecessary that they flew me out (along with at least 20 other students) for a second interview that was exactly the same (there were different interviewers, but they pretty much asked me the exact same questions and it was the same format). I didn't think the final interviews went very well but I did get an offer.

Interview Question – What do you think about the economy right now?   View Answers (2)

Reason for Declining – The salary was not anywhere near what I had hoped for and I didn't want to move to Salt Lake for a job that didn't pay very well.

Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online and interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview Details – I applied for GS Ops full-time and got invited to Salt Lake city for interview 2 months ago. I didn't get an offer but I learned many things and thought I should share. So here it goes:
I applied on my University career website (and probably on GS website as well but I couldn't be too sure). HR emailed me one day saying you are invited, please apply for

1) American Express credit card (which would be used to pay for my travel expenses but it didn't arrive in time so I had to pay out of pocket and am still waiting for reimbursement)

2) book an airline ticket on GS website, paid by GS upfront. Tips: arrive early, allow yourself one night before the interview to review material and relax. If your interview is at 10am in the morning, don't fly the 6am flight.

Once you get there, treat yourself well, don't stress out. There is a limit on how much you can spend on breakfast, lunch and meal so double check it.

As far as the interview goes, the format is like this:

Day 1: you will be interviewing with 2 people, one is relatively new to the company and one is veteran. They will be asking about what GS is, what GS does, what Ops does. More importantly, they will be looking at your resume and ask why you are interested in GS in general and Ops in particular. They are all about working in team so they will ask "give me an example of a time when you lead a group and was successful (or unsuccessful) and why? Or an example of you as a teammate, how you contribute and did your team succeed or not?

Tips: take your time but don't drag it on and on. Have examples ready. One case competition, one group project can offer you various ways to answer different questions if you know how to do it.

Ethical questions: what do you do if a client insist on making a trade/transaction that you know is not profitable for them in the long run but it would benefit the bank? Or rank the 3 qualities in order of importance: risk management, client service, efficiency.

Day 2: you will be interviewing with seniors of the company. I failed on this round so I don't know how to help you out on this. But here it goes:
Why are you interested in GS, what attract you to Ops? I saw that you work for [a bulge bracket] over the summer, why choose GS?

Pretty much the same as first day but expect a lot more challenging questions and less friendly attitudes.

I suggest looking at Glassdoor.com for more interview question. The key is: know the company, know yourself, and be confident/articulate when answer. Ask for time to think if you stumble upon a hard one. Look enthusiastic and you'll be fine. Have QUESTIONS to ask them at the end of the session!

Interview Question – What do you do if a client insist on making a trade/transaction that you know is not profitable for them in the long run but it would benefit the bank? Or rank the 3 qualities in order of importance: risk management, client service, efficiency.

View Answer

Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview Details – Invited out to SLC. Had four 30 minute interviews, two 1:1 and two 2:1. Not much small talk or niceties, the interviewers were straight to the point. The interviews were fairly repetitive, "tell me about yourself" "why GS" "tell me about a time on a team" "what does it mean to be ethical." The question choice was interesting; very basic. Everyone was very professional and HR was great.

Interview Question – If tasked with an assignment, would you rather work alone or on a team?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None

Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2012.

Interview Details – On campus interview. It includes two back to back thirty minutes interviews. The first one was with two interviewers and the second one was with VP Operation. They made decision only based on these two interviews. No final round in the office.

Interview Question – What is operational risk? Why Salt Lake City over New York City office?   Answer Question

Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in October 2012.

Interview Details – Was interview on campus which consisted of a 2:1 interview and a 1:1 interview of 30 minutes each. After a week, I received an email inviting me to Salt Lake City for a Final Round Interview. The interview at SLC was no different from the one on campus with the same 2:1 interview and 1:1 interview.

Received a phone call a week later telling that I was rejected,

Interview Question – What if after advising a client, your client insists on making a deal that is going to turn out quite bad? Would you go ahead with the deal or not?
- The answers is, no. Because the reputation of the company is the most important and it is better to lose that client than to ruin the company's reputation
  Answer Question